from H to 80

anyone grow hemp [the legal kind]

I have been reading a lot about the industrial hemp revolution every magazine i open seems to have an article ,so has anybody tried growing it . Missouri passed the hemp legislation last year and is starting the permit process i am debating whether or not to start the permit process. I imagine there is a lot of paper work but there is plenty of that now anyway.

I read where Colorado and Kentucky are leaders in this industry so does anyone know anything about it?  One company is planting live plants that are already tested for the proper THC limits  they run a special machine with some sort of long tape strip containing 3" tall plants @ $1.75 per plant and 1000 plants per acre planting costs seem pretty high.

way to early but certainly explore getting a foot hold

I would get a LOI from a buyer in double blood first with contract guaranteed advance $$$ + payments upfront

and guaranteed rent payment on the equipment which you are going to "lease" purchase once cash transfers

too much govt ^&%&^%  and the BTOS in bed with them ,waiting to swoope in on the backs of little guy

just like gas lease they are going to grab the $$$$$ and leave the little guy going to prison for possession or not paying the bill

5 hours ago, mmi said:

way to early but certainly explore getting a foot hold

I would get a LOI from a buyer in double blood first with contract guaranteed advance $$$ + payments upfront

and guaranteed rent payment on the equipment which you are going to "lease" purchase once cash transfers

too much govt ^&%&^%  and the BTOS in bed with them ,waiting to swoope in on the backs of little guy

just like gas lease they are going to grab the $$$$$ and leave the little guy going to prison for possession or not paying the bill

That’s what I’m thinking too. Seems to be ALOT of “investor” money going into this. Time will tell but I suspect it’s another get rich quick scheme with help from the government.

It’s funny how the government will jump on every new thing, yet they are unwilling to help with the tried and true...

was thinking about it very expensive to plant sounds like good money to be made not much info on it sounds like it could be very labor intense   

For what it is worth Montana was the hemp leader last year at 22,000 acres and Colorado was second. Montana Dept of Ag is very progressive in the Hemp industry and expects to double the acres this year.

APF

I was in a meeting where Mitch McConnell was speaking back in February. He said Kentucky had about 200 farmers growing hemp last year and the number was 1,020 for this year and expecting to grow again next year. He said there are some big investors wanting to open processing plants in the state soon. They are hoping it takes the place of a Tobacco in the future as the acres for burley tobacco keeps dropping. Years ago basically every farm had tobacco on them, now you either grow a lot or none. 

A lot of it going in down here.  We figure they will way outproduce the demand for oil and fiber in another year or two, but maybe we're wrong.  Also, many see this low THC hemp as just a bridge crop, to figure out the production and so forth, so growers will be ready when the real stuff becomes legal.

And by the way, we ain't growin any.

On 5/8/2019 at 7:52 PM, IHBOWEN said:

I was in a meeting where Mitch McConnell was speaking back in February. He said Kentucky had about 200 farmers growing hemp last year and the number was 1,020 for this year and expecting to grow again next year. He said there are some big investors wanting to open processing plants in the state soon. They are hoping it takes the place of a Tobacco in the future as the acres for burley tobacco keeps dropping. Years ago basically every farm had tobacco on them, now you either grow a lot or none. 

Corn and especially  beans aren't penciling out right now I'm just looking for something that might.

Leave it to farmers to make something profitable, unprofitable by over production..... I predict that’s what’s going to happen. 

Lots going in from here and to the north then south of here. Tobacco is still strong in my area with several really big growers. I grow 100 acres of tobacco, and am just waiting and watching. Honestly my plate is pretty full, I looked into it. I was going to have bring in more h2a workers or cut tobacco acres. I have one friend doing 10 acres i will be watching close. Was a big write up in cow country news about it this month. You might find it online. Just hope it works out for everyone. I would for sure want a contract. I have heard Altria will be buying next year. I really think a lot of the start up buyers, are hoping to be bought out by altria or similar. When rma gives ok for federal crop insurance it will be a crap show fast!

54 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

Leave it to farmers to make something profitable, unprofitable by over production..... I predict that’s what’s going to happen. 

That has been my thought ever since it has become legal in state.