poor farmer/logger

2019 Crop Pics

Just about another inch of rain overnight again. Still coming down and they’re calling for more unfortunately.  Everything is soaking wet outside again. Could’ve done without it that’s for sure. Good thing we got the canola done yesterday. It definitely needed doing. 

06A0A7EB-36DB-45F0-BF95-6C232D041524.jpeg

Another 2+ inches here last night and still light showers today. Sure glad I sprayed as much in the mud as I did the past week. If I'd waited for drying I'd still be waiting. Those low spots we planted still are not showing any standing water. 

Turns out dad screwed up looking at the rain gauge. I went out and looked and he thought the arrow was a 5 thinking it was 25 mm. Well it wasn’t it was 2 inches lol. I think there must’ve been a little bit in the gauge from the last rain though still quite a bit of rain though.

i went out on the quad this morning looking and some of the runs actually have water running in them again.  Lots of the low spots have water laying again. A lot of the rain from last week had soaked in but my rented land still had sloughs where I had seeded unfortunaltey. the runs had been under water long enough the canola died there as well.  

Thankfulky I didn’t have any trouble spraying. Cut rugs in a few places that will be fun to hit with the weather again but overall it wasn’t to bad.  No close calls anyways lol. If it wasn’t for getting the sprayer plastered in mud I’d have gone straight through most of it. 

Thats about the same rain as here. I saw at least 2 inches in my crude "gauge" and heard reports of 2 and a half and more in places. No water standing in my fields but I saw plenty of others with water in them. I wonder if the zero till makes it worse? Checked out my weed infested canola field and was impressed. The "Eclipse" herbicide did a real good job on those dandelions and the canola is starting to take over. I do see some new tiny plants that just came up in the last few days , about a month behind the rest of the plants so that could be interesting at harvesting time. 

IMG_1496[1].JPG

• Like 1

nothing to exciting for rain here drove around abit and things are comin along fine the round up ready canola is looking dirty gotta get on that here first hopefully tomorrow we'll get it sprayed, my last wheat field has quite abit of second growth crop comin we'll have to wait and see how it comes in 

Looks like it’s cabaging out nicely Ralph. Ours is just starting to fill in now. Another week it should look a lot different. Just kind of to the point where it starts to kick into high gear and grow. No shortage of moisture for it for now that’s for sure. 

Rows don’t show up real well in the pics but they’re there. Some blank spots in the fields yet though. Some of the tire tracks didn’t do so good this year. I’m not sure if it came up and died or if it just didn’t germinate soon enough. Time will tell i guess. 

4290DC64-212F-4939-844A-50EEB4E9032D.jpeg

EE2FED66-3979-4A39-852E-8855D92B51A7.jpeg

12 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Rows don’t show up real well in the pics but they’re there. Some blank spots in the fields yet though. Some of the tire tracks didn’t do so good this year. I’m not sure if it came up and died or if it just didn’t germinate soon enough. Time will tell i guess. 

I guess my canola shows up better because there is no stubble to hide it. This was all planted on chem fallow. There are still some fields around here you can't really tell what is planted as it is so thin and patchy. Pretty sure this is a field of canola with water standing after last night's rain. Raining again right now. 

306576493_IMG_14941.thumb.JPG.4018589832127084f05b134df999040b.JPG

The stubble sure makes the crops look rough till they get up above it that’s for sure. Some years we have burnt the straw off and if there’s lots of moisture it sure comes up and shows up nicer. This year I didn’t want to lose any moisture though so we just harrowed it out. 

Rained again overnight so the yards all greasy again. 

Looks like you are good east of P.A. how about down to Waka Lake . We have 3 years worth of rain this week .A strip through where we live is over 6 in. this week but +/- 4 is average I think .

2 hours ago, IKS said:

Looks like you are good east of P.A. how about down to Waka Lake . We have 3 years worth of rain this week .A strip through where we live is over 6 in. this week but +/- 4 is average I think .

We’ve had close to 5 inches now in the last week with all the totals added up. Kinistino has had as much as 6-7 inches in pockets. One spot just north of Kinistino not far from me is a little over 7 inches now. It sure all came at once it seems.  Not to sure about Wakaw lake but they tend to get similar weather as just south of Kinistino. Kind of follows highway 41 it seems.  Friend of mine by lake Lenore has had around 4.5 inches now as well so it seems to be pretty general this time. I guess North of Saskatoon got a heavy shot the other night too.  Brothers both live just north of the city. The one is Osler said the towns pumps couldn’t keep up and some basements flooded again I guess. Kind of a ongoing issue there apparently though.  They tend to get some nasty storms roll through there too.  I remember coming home from the Lawson heights mall one night just after a real bad storm went through. All the streets were flooded. We were in my brothers car and it was sketchy in spots getting through lol. 

Where abouts are you at IKS? My phone doesn’t show locations and I hardly ever log on with the computer anymore. 

Logger , I'm at Climax 300+ miles southwest 10 miles from Montana .

• Like 1

Crops are looking a whole lot better today than a week or so ago. 5 inches of rain helps. A lot of late germinating canola starting to show. including volunteer on the spring wheat fields I have already sprayed! Hay crop still looks awful short and hardly worth cutting in places.  I put some video together for a look at the wheat and canola as of June 22-23. 

• Like 1

Here is pic of some of the last seeded wheat. 4 inches of rain in a week has it off to a nice start. We find we have less runoff and ponding after switching to minimum tillage. The roots stay in the ground and let water infiltrate more. The far stubble field is neighbors canola seeded with a planter notill. It is off to nice start.

C7588F35-DA28-4978-9820-068EE5ED837D.jpeg

• Like 1

Went out crop checking a little tonight. Wheat and barley are coming along pretty good now. Barley is getting pretty tall in places already. It’s still up a down a little. Wheat looks pretty nice now though. Took a couple pictures tonight while I was on the quad. 

Had rain off and on most of the day. Never amounted to anything but it sure put a damper on spraying. 

0A4EE780-A0B4-4910-9AFE-6F3D9529AA6C.jpeg

D560C50E-9411-4CA8-B18E-08D6D0994097.jpeg

• Like 1

looking good more advanced than here, tried to finished canola tonight and got done folded up and it poured rain for about 5 min, not sure wither to respray or leave it 

The sky did look threatening all afternoon and evening so I never tried spraying. Did empty out the tank this morning on the wheat field by the yard. It is getting really tall and will hopefully stay ahead of all the volunteer canola that has come up since I started spraying it a week ago. There were sprayers running this afternoon in conditions too windy for me. I took this picture this evening at sundown. A good spot for the sunset view but about the poorest , thinnest part of the wheat as it is on a high spot that likely could have used a little extra fertilizer. 

Merc pan sundown.jpg

• Like 3

Got the first round of spraying done early this morning. Got some canola we may have to do again not sure yet. Was a bunch of little weeds popped up right after we sprayed the first canola. It was well after the rains too but it seemed to be slow to come up. Had more rain tonight again. Went out to rinse the sprayer and a big cloud came rolling through and dumped a bunch of rain on me.  Came back in the house and called it a night. 

Took this picture on the oats that are seeded on the sand. They seem to be doing pretty good so far. Ended up with some plugged runs on this little field. Believe it or not I actually checked it 3 times too and there’s only 50 acres there. 

E63FC5CB-58FB-4FF5-A18C-F6E58A969532.jpeg

D6719255-40F4-4A85-A777-9C3E4528EBE8.jpeg

spent the day are Ritchie bros auction in north battleford, everyone had deeper pockets than I did came home empty handed, back to spraying tomorrow 

don't feel so bad about the strips I think every field I do I have 1 pluged opener regardless how many times I check, one durum field had a tower worth of openers missing I found it then went back a few rounds obviously not far enough 

• Like 1

Finally a good morning for spraying with light wind. Althuogh the crop was pretty wet from dew even by 10:00 a.m. when I started.  These oats are getting pretty big already and looking mostly pretty good except for some unexplained thin patches. Came close to getting stuck as I found standing water on some of that "reclaimed land" that I had seeded. The old 2090 pulled me through but I left some ruts. 

IMG_1517[1].JPG

• Like 1

got the canola resprayed and the first tank of cereal mix done, got the new to me chem handler figured out and why didn't I have one of them 10 yrs ago, works pretty slick 

continue to spray tomorrow sounds like rain moving in tomorrow night so hope to get a few more quarters done

peas starting to flower and starting to fill in really well, still a question on how the one that are just comin out of the ground will contribute or if at all

Spraying some corn with the 986. 3AB31076-C18D-479A-8662-F45D7D9FE07B.thumb.jpeg.6b8f1894636a233e16731b6bae9192e1.jpeg5BED2B8E-4DC3-42F7-96AA-A1C035CFF21C.thumb.jpeg.93d769d84408f068dd55407fef5e1b96.jpeg

• Like 1

Down to the last two fields of canola for spraying now. Crops are looking very nice, other than some patches of canola. Flax looks unreal, oats is ver nice as well. Had probably 3 to 4 inches of rain over the past few weeks and now its warming up a bit and I think were done with frosts lol. Was terrible spraying weather the last while too. Could've done a bunch a bit over a week ago but there was lots of little weeds not poked through the ground yet. So we held off and then it turned windy and rainy for a week, but finally Tuesday night we got rolling and have been going pretty hard the last couple of days. Should wrap up tomorrow and that will be the last time to flush the sprayer! Finally! Lol. Sprayed three different crops today so sick of cleaning it already 😂

Oh forgot to add, theres no such thing as a wet spot around here right now. Its scary how dry it still is

Snapchat-1799229937.thumb.jpg.10c88af7316b67df8374f17a6773c9c7.jpg

Snapchat-65687131.thumb.jpg.36ee9f993c1f67b7622f3cfa32e26e47.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, db1486 said:

Down to the last two fields of canola for spraying now. Crops are looking very nice, other than some patches of canola.

Oh forgot to add, theres no such thing as a wet spot around here right now. Its scary how dry it still is

Definitely some flooded spots here that will drown out but that is an ok trade off for saving the rest of the field. I got it done without getting stuck. Oats looking very good. Canola pretty fair on mine but there are a lot of canola fields that are terrible. Big bare areas with nothing and then a patch of canola almost at the bolting stage already. Later emerging plants are a month behind the early parts of the field. I'm surprised some of them were not written off and re-planted. 

Got some video of the oats spraying yesterday. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Definitely some flooded spots here that will drown out but that is an ok trade off for saving the rest of the field. I got it done without getting stuck. Oats looking very good. Canola pretty fair on mine but there are a lot of canola fields that are terrible. Big bare areas with nothing and then a patch of canola almost at the bolting stage already. Later emerging plants are a month behind the early parts of the field. I'm surprised some of them were not written off and re-planted. 

Oats looking good, I planned to take some pics of our fields and also mow a small meadow (stony pasture lol) with the scythe for hay for the goats. But got sick this week with a cold and flu which I reckon I catched from my sister inlaw and brother ;) a FB friend of mine joked I shouldn't kiss the sister inlaw then I wouldn't get sick LOL I said no I didn't do that maybe I got it from one of her horses ;) lol

12 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Quite a bit of reseeding happened around here. Some due to frost but lots from cutworms. Some guys sprayed for flea beetles 2 or 3 times. We never had to reseed or spray any so that's a bonus. I guess a lot of canola fields were reseeded to oats and barley the last couple weeks too