Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2019 Crop Pics

20 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

I am sure envious of you guys with the high clearance self propelled sprayers. I put in 20 miles road driving yesterday in the process of spraying two tanks (about 180 acres) and that was my day with the old pull type Brandt. 

Just heard that for the period from March to May the Saskatoon area received the lowest rainfall ever recorded. About 4 mm. It just can't rain anymore here. 

Our pull type is a 1600 gallon top air we pull it behind a Magnum. 160 acres per batch. I would really like to be able to buy this machine we are renting. The salesman knew if I run one I would want one, hence he offered to rent us one. I have run one tank full through it so far and I noticed that I am traveling 50% faster ground speed compared to the pull type

I knew I wanted a john deere one cause I been around the neighbours and liked them got looking at 4710's and couldn't find much as hours and price tag were a head scratcher, then had a john deere salesman stop in the yard and told him what I wanted and a budget and he called 4 days later with this one and I bought it few little quirks to work out at the beginning but running great now , the 100ft booms are nice and section control is the best thing, saving 70-100 gallons per quarter , been tempting to sell my 90" flexi coil pulltype or not, not worth a lot but its just sitting but I figured it would be plan B or a couple bucks n my pocket 

the sprayer has sped things up in a way that the farm has shifted to mostly a one man band and I got the farm seeded in good time by myself

never got much for late nights in I could get most of getting ready done my 11am then seed 2 tanks out by 6pm load up then got spray the quarter for tomorrow then go back and finish in the dark  

few lightning and boomers last night and about 14 drops but nothing more.  up to 31 above here this afternoon 

6 hours ago, Loadstar said:

I am sure envious of you guys with the high clearance self propelled sprayers. I put in 20 miles road driving yesterday in the process of spraying two tanks (about 180 acres) and that was my day with the old pull type Brandt. 

Just heard that for the period from March to May the Saskatoon area received the lowest rainfall ever recorded. About 4 mm. It just can't rain anymore here. 

I miss the tank capacity on our Bourgault pull type at times. I could fill it right full and spray a little over 200 acres at 7.5 gal/ac. Was quite as quick as the self propelled but it’s sure a cheap way to spray. Thing I had a hard time was coming off the spray coupe was just spraying g over obstacles. Any little ditch rut or big bump in the field and it would trip the break aways a lot of the time. Nice thing was it was 100 feet so it got me used to judging distances and just getting used to the width. Coming from the 52’ spra coupe it was a huge jump lol. 

5 hours ago, bitty said:

Our pull type is a 1600 gallon top air we pull it behind a Magnum. 160 acres per batch. I would really like to be able to buy this machine we are renting. The salesman knew if I run one I would want one, hence he offered to rent us one. I have run one tank full through it so far and I noticed that I am traveling 50% faster ground speed compared to the pull type

It definitely speeds things up. I sprayed around 7 mph with our wheel boomed pull type. The rogator im 12-14 mph. The ride is so much nicer too. Previous owner had notes in the book about going at 18 mph. With a full tank and hills that’s asking a lot of the little 5.9 Cummins that’s in it. They’ve got it pumping out 285 hp but still it’s just a pick up truck motor really. The hydros suck up a lot of hp too I’m sure. 

4 hours ago, wheatking said:

I knew I wanted a john deere one cause I been around the neighbours and liked them got looking at 4710's and couldn't find much as hours and price tag were a head scratcher, then had a john deere salesman stop in the yard and told him what I wanted and a budget and he called 4 days later with this one and I bought it few little quirks to work out at the beginning but running great now , the 100ft booms are nice and section control is the best thing, saving 70-100 gallons per quarter , been tempting to sell my 90" flexi coil pulltype or not, not worth a lot but its just sitting but I figured it would be plan B or a couple bucks n my pocket 

the sprayer has sped things up in a way that the farm has shifted to mostly a one man band and I got the farm seeded in good time by myself

never got much for late nights in I could get most of getting ready done my 11am then seed 2 tanks out by 6pm load up then got spray the quarter for tomorrow then go back and finish in the dark  

few lightning and boomers last night and about 14 drops but nothing more.  up to 31 above here this afternoon 

From what I heard through the years the 4720 was a better sprayer then the 4830. They’re a nice unit. I think they run quieter then the 4830 too I think. I test drive one once and if you ran it out the fan noise was awful. Had to slow the motor down to around 2,000-2100 rpm to hear yourself think in the cab.  The rogator we have is bad enough too. I don’t run it wide open usually though. 22-2350. 

Weve kept our pull type around just in case. I figure for the 1,000-1500 we might get for it, it can stay here and be ready to go if need be. 

We had s small shower go through just north of us this morning. Didn’t amount to much though. Enough to wet the grass for a tiny bit and then it was over. Thunderstorm watches out so who knows what might brew up. 

49 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Nice thing was it was 100 feet so it got me used to judging distances and just getting used to the width. Coming from the 52’ spra coupe it was a huge jump lol. 

For me a Spra Coupe would be a step up :-) I've seriously looked at the later ones with the diesel engines as they seem to be a pretty fair machine and more in my price range than the bigger machines. This 2090 is a rough riding tractor and you feel every little bump in the field. The sprayer is slowly shaking itself to pieces too. Those 5.90x15 tires are a big improvement over the wheel barrow tires the old sprayers had but still bounce around and over every bump in the field. 

28 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

For me a Spra Coupe would be a step up 🙂 I've seriously looked at the later ones with the diesel engines as they seem to be a pretty fair machine and more in my price range than the bigger machines. This 2090 is a rough riding tractor and you feel every little bump in the field. The sprayer is slowly shaking itself to pieces too. Those 5.90x15 tires are a big improvement over the wheel barrow tires the old sprayers had but still bounce around and over every bump in the field. 

Not knocking the spra coupes but you wouldn’t want the one we had lol. It’s a 220 3 wheeler. We sprayed a pile of acres with it but it’s jist plain ol wore out now. We put quite a bit of new parts on it but the transmission was causing issues at the end I think. We let it sit for a couple years and now the motor is stuck. I put some atf and acetone in it last summer but I couldn’t get it to budge.  No time to pull the head and have a look so it’s just siting now. Should really part it out as there are some good parts on it yet. Parts are horribly expensive for them too. Mind you almost everything is now it seems. One thing I hated about the bigger spra coupes was getting in and out of the cabs. I’m a fat guy though so that doesn’t help 😂😂. If you leave the books out a bit they’re not bad but if you fold them all the way in I have a heck of a time getting in lol. 

last I knew spra-coupe parts were getting harder to get as they haven't made them for like 5-6 yrs now, kinda why I thought I would part out the ol system 62 flexi coil good parts left to rot in the sun

went on a long drive around and the wheat and peas are pushing hard and comin quick but the canola is all over the map to 1st true leaf to just popping out of the ground one field had some plant turning yellow and seems like pinched stems so no sure if flea beetles bit in the right spot or if there's cutworms or what I'm gonna have to get someone out to take a look 

10 hours ago, bitty said:

That seems to be the case from what I've seen too. We only pull our high clearance at about 7 mph. If all the fields were wide open and flat would probably run 10 mph or so. But we got alot of smaller fields that a couple rounds have it all split off lol. And too many hills to try and run the booms at any faster speed

3 hours ago, Loadstar said:

For me a Spra Coupe would be a step up 🙂 I've seriously looked at the later ones with the diesel engines as they seem to be a pretty fair machine and more in my price range than the bigger machines. This 2090 is a rough riding tractor and you feel every little bump in the field. The sprayer is slowly shaking itself to pieces too. Those 5.90x15 tires are a big improvement over the wheel barrow tires the old sprayers had but still bounce around and over every bump in the field. 

Going from our great northern 500 gallon pull type, I wouldn't even consider a spray coupe. Filling that 200 gallon tank would get old pretty quick lol. Even the newer ones still only had a 300 or 400 gallon tank. We only spray once a year so a high clearance sp sprayer wasnt feasible for us. The pull type fit right in though. I sure dont miss those little wheels on the booms bouncing around and replacing wheel bearings lol. I'd say we cut our spraying time in half going from 70 feet and 500 gallon tank, up to 90 feet and 1100 gallon. Now it's hard for me to keep up hauling water on a good day of spraying lol. I think a big pull type would look real nice behind your magnum lol

9 hours ago, db1486 said:

That seems to be the case from what I've seen too. We only pull our high clearance at about 7 mph. If all the fields were wide open and flat would probably run 10 mph or so. But we got alot of smaller fields that a couple rounds have it all split off lol. And too many hills to try and run the booms at any faster speed

Going from our great northern 500 gallon pull type, I wouldn't even consider a spray coupe. Filling that 200 gallon tank would get old pretty quick lol. Even the newer ones still only had a 300 or 400 gallon tank. We only spray once a year so a high clearance sp sprayer wasnt feasible for us. The pull type fit right in though. I sure dont miss those little wheels on the booms bouncing around and replacing wheel bearings lol. I'd say we cut our spraying time in half going from 70 feet and 500 gallon tank, up to 90 feet and 1100 gallon. Now it's hard for me to keep up hauling water on a good day of spraying lol. I think a big pull type would look real nice behind your magnum lol

I'm usually at the 5 mph, sometimes 5.5 if its smooth and straight going.  I've already bent one boom when a wheel hit a muskrat run. This year we have a terrible badger infestation with holes that will really rock you. Just lucky the boom wheels have not hit one  (yet). No auto steer and my eyes are too much on the ezee guide screen and I don't always see the holes in time to dodge. 

The newer Brandt quick folds (or Flexi-Coil) with suspension on  the boom wheels look like a big improvement on mine. I like the price too.  

28 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

I'm usually at the 5 mph, sometimes 5.5 if its smooth and straight going.  I've already bent one boom when a wheel hit a muskrat run. This year we have a terrible badger infestation with holes that will really rock you. Just lucky the boom wheels have not hit one  (yet). No auto steer and my eyes are too much on the ezee guide screen and I don't always see the holes in time to dodge. 

The newer Brandt quick folds (or Flexi-Coil) with suspension on  the boom wheels look like a big improvement on mine. I like the price too.  

Yes we welded the booms up many times on our old sprayer. Wasnt bad when its dry but we had so many wet years where your leaving ruts the full half mile of the field, and those little wheels would cut in then flip over and break hoses off. We welded stoppers in it and that helped but they would still catch and flip up and drag. I really don't miss those days lol. It was a very cheap sprayer and worked good though, but there are better things out there now for not much money. And I just really hate spraying too, but cant afford to hire it out.

We looked at the brandt and flexi coil quick folds and hyd fold units. Still got those boom wheels though that I dont like. And we got some field where you have to fold in to about 50 feet to get through the neck, and I don't think you could swing only one boom in. But they are really cheap to buy. About 130 feet on a full open section would be nice lol. Not on our 40 acres of hills and twist and turns lol.

Me seeding stripes in this morning. Lucked out it was end tower that plugged so I could seed every other width of seeder. 14 ft covered it perfect

2996C6F8-7094-4592-8D06-95206DBE6477.jpeg

4592C1D1-8CDB-4BA7-9CAB-892A0E73E62F.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

Me seeding stripes in this morning. Lucked out it was end tower that plugged so I could seed every other width of seeder. 14 ft covered it perfect

I was doing almost the same thing yesterday morning in my early wheat field. Electric clutch on the Bourgault tank has been problematic for a while now cutting out with no warning and for some reason the shaft monitors did not go off either . So I did the field that was closest to the road and near the yard. Only a few minutes work and took longer getting ready than to do the job. But I didn't want to be driving past that sight all summer long. Of course if it does not rain soon it might not come up and still leave strips. 

I have a few narrow spots to get through where I had to fold one boom in and spray it. On the Bourgault there’s a lock out valve so only one boom goes into transport. You can select either side. Worked ok but you had to get out of the cab twice of course. 

This spring I had 3 runs at the very end of the drill get plugged up with mud  luckily I caught it right away so I reseeded a small triangle piece that I had done just to make sure it didn’t miss  would’ve been a bare 5’ strip right beside the road if I hadn’t lol  

Had quite the light show go through last night from about 7:30 till 11:00. We go maybe 1/10” out of it. Better then nothing I guess. Looked like the heavier rain followed the river ornwent north of it. Sky was sure black for a while anyways. 

Went out crop scouting a little tonight. Cereals are doing ok but the canola there’s nothing to even really take a picture of yet. Didn’t get out to mine so hopefully with the extra moisture it had there it’s doing better  

Barley 752FBEB1-B2C0-4156-BD69-57EFBF8A049B.thumb.jpeg.8b248dabd2038139fae259e65c9ee90b.jpegDEE3AD97-F21F-447B-ADAD-E23B56869FE8.thumb.jpeg.c606c8287f28f74d4872952914be43bb.jpeg

wheat. 

06190328-C575-484A-8234-57AABCA00D5E.thumb.jpeg.74e8377e54bfa2b9d93ae24e579a5e17.jpeg19BAB21F-DB95-4D04-B7C7-B48704A554D6.thumb.jpeg.d3333cb7c4abc2f1f4e9bfc97ce2a0c6.jpeg

Oats they’re seeded on very sandy land  first picture is better soil  second picture is almost pure sand so it’s kind of a wonder there’s anything growing  

2B38220C-F575-4F4B-8514-9D9308C3013E.thumb.jpeg.6987a27598e002b02368db624e7b9b74.jpeg7C4632E3-3C16-459C-A7F9-500E75D4EEA4.thumb.jpeg.bbfde005bb6c56034608cd6a18f4b05d.jpeg

• Like 1

our crops haven't really done much sort of stunted figure it putting more power down to the roots to dig I guess 

clouds rolled in and wind picked up and radar is looking like we might get something so fingers crossed 

We had a wild thunderstorm roll through yesterday early in the morning then late at night again. I'd say we got over a inch in the morning,  but a couple miles south never got a drop and a couple miles north just enough to settle the dust. Last night I thought we wouldve got well over a inch too but the guage says 3 tenths, so I don't know. Any rain is better than what we had so no complaining here. The hay and pastures look much better today

8 hours ago, db1486 said:

We had a wild thunderstorm roll through yesterday early in the morning then late at night again. I'd say we got over a inch in the morning,  but a couple miles south never got a drop and a couple miles north just enough to settle the dust. Last night I thought we wouldve got well over a inch too but the guage says 3 tenths, so I don't know. Any rain is better than what we had so no complaining here. The hay and pastures look much better today

Well that is 100% more than we got here. I sprayed til dark. Nice sunset with a slight cloud bank in the West. It did rustle up a thunder storm in the night with a very light shower but nothing to measure. Sounds like more of the same. Wind, heat, then cold on the weekend. To spray or not to spray$??? Wheat is actually still looking pretty fair but canola, I look the other way when I drive by mine. Hearing of lots of flea beetles and some are spraying for them. I figure they won't find mine in all the weeds :-) 

We had another 1/10” maybe early this morning.  Got up and the ground was wet anyways. I just hope it soaks in before it all evaporates. 

I haven’t done any spraying yet. Theres very little to spray so far. Figure I’ll hold off as long as I can and see what happens. The cereals I’ll probably spray in a week or so I guess. Been watching for flea Beatles in the canola but haven’t seen any signs of damage so far. Not on the few plants that are up anyways.  

Sure been lots of discussion on Facebook on the 306 farming group page about the weatherman lately. Not to many good things have been said lol. They’ve sure been wrong a lot this year anyways.  They had us down for 1-2 inches of rain fri-sun. Now it’s down to 3/10-4/10”. 

had a good light show and enough to wet the sidewalk for a few seconds wind dried it pretty quick, lightning went among the clouds weren't straight I like to hear the boomers but just a quiet one, see the weekend forcast is getting smaller and smaller everytime  I look for rain, this year is starting to crash and burn

ya Ralph the flea beetles are here to I didn't see much for damage to get excited about the other night I drove around, the mosquitos though holy man I cleaned the sprayer out and greased it up and they could find me anywhere but the puzzling thing is theres no standing water around for miles but they are still thick 

Sand flies have been really bad around here the last few days. I think the wind blew them in from the river. 

Checked my canola for the first time since seeding this evening. At least you can make out rows on it. If it can establish some roots before the top dries out I think it’ll be ok.  Lots of small plants just poking through. 8 days now I think since I finished seeding it so it’s not far away from from where it should be. 

6D4BE242-4E83-4DE2-B88C-BEF19CE7EE68.jpeg

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Sand flies have been really bad around here the last few days. I think the wind blew them in from the river. 

Checked my canola for the first time since seeding this evening. At least you can make out rows on it. If it can establish some roots before the top dries out I think it’ll be ok.  Lots of small plants just poking through. 8 days now I think since I finished seeding it so it’s not far away from from where it should be. 

Surprising how those little seeds can germinate and get out of the ground. I had a good look at mine this evening as I sprayed a tank. Weeds are terrible. I didn't do a burn off so its hard to see the canola in some spots. But I'm seeing rows too. Its on chem fallow so should have good moisture reserve.  Another half tank should do that field and the rest is not so bad.  Still no rain but at least it was not so hot today. 

IMG_1433[1].JPG

IMG_1434[1].JPG

Cool and cloudy today. Sure a change from a few days ago. Had a little shower overnight again. Doesn’t amount to a lot but every little bit helps. It could be interesting trying to figure out when to swath it. Going to be a lot of different stages I think. 

Nice little shower came through this afternoon. Another case of not much but still better then nothing.  Enough the dirt picks up on your shoes and tires when you move in it. 

CD14E7CA-FEA2-4B40-A736-62AF7A802625.png