Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2019 Crop Pics

Some corn I planted on I believe the 19th of April. Actually looks pretty good, was worried about germination when it turned off cold for so long.

IMG_0167.JPG

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Brought home 20 bags of canola seed in my old 81 GMC last week. Worth about 10 ten times what the truck is at over $600 per bag. 

You take some nice photos. 

I'm on my last field of oats but its actually going to be 3 different small fields so will run into tomorrow. Trying to figure and adjust so I don't have any leftover seed or fertilizer. Early wheat is up pretty nice but not enough to show in the picture. 

IMG_1404[1].JPG

IMG_1402[1].JPG

Thanks Ralph I just try to take a few pictures when I can sometimes they turn out sometimes they don’t lol. Hopefully you’re either finished up seeding or very close. I ran out of fertilizer last night so I’ve still got a little over 200 acres to go. Last year at this time I had about 20.

Had to stop and pick concrete last night again. Part of the old barn foundation that was hauled out about 25 years ago. I buried a bunch but a few pieces seem to keep showing up every year. I don’t envy those of you who have to pick rocks every spring lol. 

On my way in with dad to get my fertilizer so thought I’d check in and post a few more pics anyways. 

5CBB5EC5-2B07-49B4-A298-23B5FF48074C.jpeg

892050C4-66BB-444D-90A8-77F08A8583A6.jpeg

1A505EB6-F1DB-4D2A-9A25-465DA3102669.jpeg

E8B3F13F-A220-4A58-9458-73E2850691F5.png

765AF86C-2DB3-48B9-A6D2-B8BD0D8BEFE2.jpeg

3975C595-C9C3-4C35-A964-7F1BDE35DEE3.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 10:05 AM, poor farmer/logger said:

Had to stop and pick concrete last night again. Part of the old barn foundation that was hauled out about 25 years ago. I buried a bunch but a few pieces seem to keep showing up every year. I don’t envy those of you who have to pick rocks every spring lol. 

On my way in with dad to get my fertilizer so thought I’d check in and post a few more pics anyways. 

5CBB5EC5-2B07-49B4-A298-23B5FF48074C.jpeg

892050C4-66BB-444D-90A8-77F08A8583A6.jpeg

1A505EB6-F1DB-4D2A-9A25-465DA3102669.jpeg

E8B3F13F-A220-4A58-9458-73E2850691F5.png

765AF86C-2DB3-48B9-A6D2-B8BD0D8BEFE2.jpeg

3975C595-C9C3-4C35-A964-7F1BDE35DEE3.jpeg

One of our fields I was digging stones out and it was just stone after stone. Got about 30 big ones in one spot, about 15 places on the field. I'm pretty sure it's all old buried stone piles. I'll never bury a stone pile in the field lol. Cause they will come back to haunt you, or the next guy lol. Not bad for stones here this spring. One day on the picker should do it

9 hours ago, db1486 said:

One of our fields I was digging stones out and it was just stone after stone. Got about 30 big ones in one spot, about 15 places on the field. I'm pretty sure it's all old buried stone piles. I'll never bury a stone pile in the field lol. Cause they will come back to haunt you, or the next guy lol. Not bad for stones here this spring. One day on the picker should do it

Not too terrible for rocks here this spring but I did have to go over every field for a few of the big ones. After wrecking a pulley under the 1010 header in last year's wheat harvest by rolling over a rock, I don't want to see a replay of that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Not too terrible for rocks here this spring but I did have to go over every field for a few of the big ones. After wrecking a pulley under the 1010 header in last year's wheat harvest by rolling over a rock, I don't want to see a replay of that. 

Noticed a couple big ones like that around here that would do some damage. I pushed them off with loader when I was spreading fertilizer. There's lots just starting to show themselves here. Not hurting anything but a couple more years and they will be out of the ground pretty good. Hopefully this fall I can get a good chunk of them dug out. It would be so nice to have stone free land lol

Well we’re down to the last 100 acres now. Dads basically got the harrowing all done now. He went over my barley stubble a couple times  today while I was seeding.  It’s still a bit heavy in places but it’ll have to do. Won’t help much to go over it again so it is what it is. Hopefully finish up tomorrow if all goes well. So far I haven’t gotten stuck this year. If I can finish up this will be the first year since 2012 I haven’t gotten the tractor stuck lol. 

FC1445CC-B211-48FB-9A6B-B65D5F945E44.jpeg

4EC1E547-A27C-407B-9EBB-32B419DEBBB2.jpeg

EFA19989-6892-4236-88BF-2B8EE91DCD4F.jpeg

A133D5E2-C98C-4E31-8090-B3C8FA09177A.jpeg

A41F3A25-8611-45A2-B4EB-FB2AFDA37878.jpeg

0BE543BE-CDCF-4A65-8254-AF66D730F2DA.jpeg

E40F78C9-4120-4A6B-9A11-9867DB674C13.jpeg

• Like 1

Been a month or more since I took the old Merc out for a spin so this evening I took a drive to look at a few of the fields. This first field of wheat is coming up pretty good. As is the volunteer canola. Chance of frost tonight they say. Be interesting to see what that does to emerged canola. 

Merc wheat May 26.jpg

Looks like it’s coming nice Ralph. Our barley is just showing up in rows now. Haven’t had time to go look at it closely yet just driving by on the road.  

Im all but done now. Ran out of canola with a 1/2 a acre left. I’ve got some from last year at home yet so I’ll take that out in the morning rather then open a new expensive bag. My bills gona be high enough as it is. D57BDF82-70FA-456B-9862-DE05EA697DD9.thumb.jpeg.67ceed286707818509ce11e6be1fdbff.jpeg

C938E3A7-17F3-4E3D-A446-3904FC437F4F.jpeg

64645D51-2786-42EC-9127-1615FDCDCA00.jpeg

8CA46855-DF49-4CDE-A12C-531267BE4E42.jpeg

E26F8CB8-55DB-4A0F-8B65-8D61C9EA7B00.jpeg

14A9A13C-A852-4BD8-877F-51D70850FDB1.jpeg

9ABD97A3-8D50-4D96-9BFB-5366E3B9BEB0.jpeg

• Like 1

Well we’re oficially done now. Everything’s moved back home and in the yard again.  Time to start washing cleaning and servicing again u guess. Next step is hauling logs home from the bush and then spraying. 

62C21621-63B9-44DC-9D28-8E2F8EBB724C.jpeg

6FC63D2A-E06F-40A8-83B8-5D0FE723441D.jpeg

Well nothing much more for crop pictures yet. Crops coming up but it’s patchy looking so far. There’s some spots coming up not bad but it’s not a nice even stand by any means so far. Canola is trying to poke its way up. Some of the shallower stuff is waiting on moisture and some of the deeper stuff is still making its way up. Odd place you can make out a row if you get down on the ground and look.  The wind and heat yesterday really sucked up a lot of moisture. Was up to 88°F. To hot for this time of the year. 

The weather was a bit calmer this morning so I took the drone out for a bit just to practice with it a bit. Flew to vet the canola but of course not much to see yet.  Just a few random shots from in the yard and field. Took some video as well but to large of file to upload from my phone. 

About 2:30 this afternoon a real nasty cloud of smoke rolled through from northern Alberta. Must be one heck of a fire. I came in the house and had to turn the lights on. It really cooled off after that too.  The brown blob is smoke that went over us. Darker the colour the higher the intensity. 

B59D8C8F-89C6-4C42-A426-70D9FD77C7EE.jpeg

A3780CA5-11C1-4C5D-B2E5-3EDD5D712431.jpeg

2C921710-DD2B-4AA9-8068-CAF0E4275565.jpeg

C5436A53-CAC4-4CB3-A939-04F27FE3732A.png

My wheat is showing some pretty nice rows here by the yard but I didn't think to get a picture of it. Kind of afraid to look at the last canola field after this 90 degree heat, 12% humidity and wind. Could not see smoke here but it really clouded over in late afternoon and the temperature dropped from 90 degrees to 60 in a few short hours. 

Pretty much wrapped up seeding yesterday here.  Just finishing up with some greenfeed today. I never thought we would be done combining and have the crop in by the end of May. First wheat we seeded two weeks ago is looking good. The heat the last couple days went from no sign to the whole field green. Haven't checked any other fields yet. We really need a rain already too. Was 32°c yesterday, and 2°c this morning. Hope it doesn't freeze again lol. A few guys were re seeding canola early this week too from the frost on Monday

Maybe this weekend I'll get a chance to put some pictures up from seeding

I tried to spray this afternoon. We planted corn into sod last week. We have two Magnums down, one motor is pulled for a major overhaul, the other went to the dealer for a transmission job. We asked about renting either a Magnum to pull our sprayer or a sprayer. They brought this up yesterday and hauled off the Magnum. I have never run one before so it's a little learning curve. 4K+ hour machine. 10% done planting corn :(

IMG_20190531_174141464.jpg

IMG_20190531_181243634.jpg

• Like 1

You’ll like the self propelled once you get onto it. Least I sure like ours. Can get a lot done in a day if everything goes good. Would be nice to have a set of floaters on it though. Sorry to hear of all the major breakdowns though. Couple that with the weather and it will drive anyone mad. 

There's lots of people worried about the weather around the area that’s for sure. Friend was talking to a crop insurance adjuster and he said some guys want to work their canola under and plant oats or barley.  Crop insurance isn’t letting them do it yet though. They’ve  been told to cut back as much as they can as their expecting it to be a high claim year he sudgested. 

Looking forward to the pics db1486 good to hear you’re wrapped up as well. 

Good to hear your wheats coming nice Ralph. Hopefully in a few more days ours will be mostly all up as well. 

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

You’ll like the self propelled once you get onto it. Least I sure like ours. Can get a lot done in a day if everything goes good. Would be nice to have a set of floaters on it though. Sorry to hear of all the major breakdowns though. Couple that with the weather and it will drive anyone mad. 

I would have preferred in two ways to get a Magnum instead of the sp sprayer. I wouldn't have had to learn how to load and run the different sprayer and the bigger issue is I won't want to not get one now ....

We have one pair of 650R38 tires on ten bolts from a consignment sale. I was already wishing I had a second set to mount on it 

When we got the rogator I had to go through a similar learning curve. For years we had top filled the sprayer and I’d had about enough of that. Especially with 13 lt liberty jugs. I bought a new chem handler and had to learn how to use that as well. Works much easier now. I’d like to set it up to suck from totes but haven’t gotten that far yet. 

Went for a little quad ride tonite just to have a look st how things are coming. Wheat and barley are starting to look like something. Still patchy though. The deeper seeded stuff is just coming up now so it should even out in a few days hopefully. Canola is nothing to get excited about yet. Few rows showing up but it’s very patchy yet. Talk of rain next weekend so maybe we’ll get a shot.  It was getting dark when I got to the canola fields so I didn’t take any pics from that at all. 

E91CEF23-F44F-4E9D-8F3B-BCD11ED90B9F.jpeg

4F0CF42B-C7AF-45BB-87FE-F4D114A71D9F.jpeg

B50909A8-F5FF-40D7-9CCC-F5F0738BA7E3.jpeg

E1E66555-0FF5-4161-9FC8-287824B26D94.jpeg

• Like 1

Surprising just how well some of the crop is doing with no rain on it since seeding. Mine is showing up enough now that I can see the gaps where the seed clutch disengaged on my air seeder. Not what I wanted to be seeing all summer but its a bit late to re-seed those strips. I took this poor shot of the wheat I was driving through yesterday. Its on canola stubble. 

Wht May 31.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Surprising just how well some of the crop is doing with no rain on it since seeding. Mine is showing up enough now that I can see the gaps where the seed clutch disengaged on my air seeder. Not what I wanted to be seeing all summer but its a bit late to re-seed those strips. I took this poor shot of the wheat I was driving through yesterday. Its on canola stubble. 

Wht May 31.jpg

Going to go seed my strips in today in one field

good to see everyone gott'er done I haven't been on for quite awhile, for 2 weeks straight it was get up and go come home around midnight crash and up and do it all over again didn't get to a computer 

crops are alright here making it somehow flea beetles starting to be an issue I haven't seen much for action close to me yet, finished seeding on the 26 and rolled peas 2 days later and taking easy since 

we upgraded the sprayer situation up to a john deere 4720 and wowser can that really speed the process up knew it would be faster but didn't think that fast, good to get the job I dislike the most done quickly 

now just like everyone just waiting for a rain to get things going still fairly patchy but a rain would fix it ended up with 4 tenth for the month of may and it was 2 tenth each time not enough to make mud but the straw wouldn't cooperate so alittle down time not much.

7 minutes ago, wheatking said:

good to see everyone gott'er done I haven't been on for quite awhile, for 2 weeks straight it was get up and go come home around midnight crash and up and do it all over again didn't get to a computer 

now just like everyone just waiting for a rain to get things going still fairly patchy but a rain would fix it ended up with 4 tenth for the month of may and it was 2 tenth each time not enough to make mud but the straw wouldn't cooperate so alittle down time not much.

Good to hear from you and that you got it wrapped up too. That's been my life since Easter weekend lol. I never take more than a couple days off work in the spring, this year was 2 weeks lol. I havent even checked kijiji for about a month, so you know its busy 😂 

Sounds like all of the praries are in the same boat this year. We surprisingly have a bit of ground moisture but if we dont get a rain in 2-3 weeks it will not be good. We need rain right now for the hay and pasture though. I think we got maybe 2 tenths of rain at home in may, less to the north and more to the south. Been patchy

13 minutes ago, wheatking said:

crops are alright here making it somehow flea beetles starting to be an issue I haven't seen much for action close to me yet, finished seeding on the 26 and rolled peas 2 days later and taking easy since 

we upgraded the sprayer situation up to a john deere 4720 and wowser can that really speed the process up knew it would be faster but didn't think that fast, good to get the job I dislike the most done quickly 

Was wondering where you’d been hiding lol. Good to hear you got all done. That sprayer will be a nice upgrade for sure. I actually don’t mind spraying when things are going good. We looked at a few 4720 and 4830 sprayers when we were shopping. Should be a good unit for you. Pick it up at Ritchies? Your rainfall sounds about identical to here. By late afternoon I was able to go again. I seeded later into the night this year as well just to try and catch up and get things done on time. 

We need some rain to get some of the grain to sprout.  There’s some just siting there doing nothing. I’m hoping seeding a little deeper pays off. Looks a little ragged at the moment as one side of the drill seemed to pull in deeper then the other this year. Made the old versatile work a little harder too lol. 

4 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Good to hear from you and that you got it wrapped up too. That's been my life since Easter weekend lol. I never take more than a couple days off work in the spring, this year was 2 weeks lol. I havent even checked kijiji for about a month, so you know its busy 😂 

Sounds like all of the praries are in the same boat this year. We surprisingly have a bit of ground moisture but if we dont get a rain in 2-3 weeks it will not be good. We need rain right now for the hay and pasture though. I think we got maybe 2 tenths of rain at home in may, less to the north and more to the south. Been patchy

glad to hear I’m not the only one who got behind on kijiji deals 😂😂. Caught up now again and haven’t spied anything cheap that I need to badly. 

30 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

glad to hear I’m not the only one who got behind on kijiji deals 😂😂. Caught up now again and haven’t spied anything cheap that I need to badly. 

That's my plan for today lol. Start looking for things I dont need and can't afford 😂

Actually I gotta harrow about 20 acres that seeded last night. We zero tilled oats into a couple old hay fields, hoping to get a nice mix of oats and grass/alfalfa for greenfeed. Did probably 50 acres so see how it turns out. I harrowed the one piece yesterday and you can hardly tell we seeded it

Thought I took a pic, guess not. Have to get one today

3 hours ago, wheatking said:

I am sure envious of you guys with the high clearance self propelled sprayers. I put in 20 miles road driving yesterday in the process of spraying two tanks (about 180 acres) and that was my day with the old pull type Brandt. 

Just heard that for the period from March to May the Saskatoon area received the lowest rainfall ever recorded. About 4 mm. It just can't rain anymore here.