• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I guess it’s that time of the year again lol. Not much for progress here yet. Got the versatile and drill ready to go. Have to pull the harrows out tomorrow and replace a couple set of wheel bear

Well a bumpy start to 19 so far. Almost had the harrow bar ready to go late this afternoon and dad came over and got me. Mom fell and broke her femur on her right side. Just got home from the hospital

Last of the soybeans went in yesterday.  This corn (pictured)  was the last field planted 14 days ago.

Posted Images

15 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

One more truckload gone. Had to move to a second bin to fill the truck. I had split it up a bit in hopes of keeping it cool that way. Load the other day came out nice and cold but today you could feel the warmth in it again. It wasn’t hit by any means but just warm enough to feel it.  Was cold enough outside you could see steam from it. Was actually quite comfortable working though. -5°F -21°c now. No wind at all so that really helped. 

Have a partial load left so hopefully they can get thatnoicked up before to long. I might turn the bin again just so I know what’s left for sure and cool it iffnone more time. 

25E1E778-C7A2-4A64-BA48-89CF27315837.jpeg

FA96AC82-CF49-43F3-8C37-D9C3DC07A6CA.jpeg

That'll be a good feeling once it's all picked up and gone. Although it would have been a better feeling if it was gone even at 9 bucks. We always seem to hold out for that little but more then something like that happens. Lol. We had dipped in to the last bin of canola about a month ago and took some out and all seemed good. Then went to take another sample and noticed grey. Well I guess it must've got some rain under the lid in late fall and about 40 bushels caked up right on the top of the bin. We vacced it out and it looks ok yet so we might have got lucky on that bit. So far we haven't lost any canola that was completely heated. But we also won't combine it the grain temp is much over 20c even if it is testing 7. Lots of guys around here lost alot of canola one year from putting it in the bin when it was 30 degrees out. Sure it showed it was dry, but just too hot

Yes pretty well half of what I was getting compared to what I had contracted. Brokers working on trying to find a home now for the last 3-500 bushels. He said they’d take it all when I talked to him so hopefully they can get it sorted out. I might have to turn it again. 

Last summer dad had some bins that hadn’t been turned in the summertime. When he went to haul it was heating from the outside in. He got very lucky though and it all went out either number 1 or 2 so he didn’t lose much aside from the loss if he’d contracted the better price when u told him to.  I’ve never had canola that rolled out black before though. We tend to not combine when it’s hot out too. Usually works out that it’s colder out when we do the canola but not always. Even temps st 25°c I try to turn the bin after harvest and make sure it’s cooling down. Last fall I almost had to plug the combine in when we were combining lol. Semi was blowing smoke rings first thing in the morning lol. 

D7DA46BD-5049-45BC-8FC6-0D6A0A250C75.jpeg

The last many harvests have been cooler lol. When the snow in the sample doesn't melt you know it's cold 😂. Just kidding that only happened once. I think the warmest grain we've had at harvest for the last while was last April lol. Was 20c outside and t shirt weather. See if that happens again this month or not lol. Not looking too good so far. Suppose to be not far from 30 below tonight! I'm really thinking we should put a block heater on the Massey if things keep on the way they are. Maybe the swather too

• 1 month later...

Well I know this thread should be long done by now, but were rolling on last years crop. Hope this is the last spring harvest already. Getting kind of sickening already. Anyway, we got rolling almost 2 weeks ago on the higher spots and things are slowly drying up. Frost is coming out pretty good now because I'm actually getting stuck instead of just sinking a bit. Overall I'm very surprised how much we are able to get at. Pretty much just the usual potholes are wet, and maybe in a couple weeks they will be dried right out too. Got rolling good again on Sunday and the crop is really dry. By the end of today 2019 crop should be done! Lol here's some pics of the fun

Snapchat-2105744440.thumb.jpg.64c840abcfd580bb2808758c2b934652.jpg

Snapchat-1667155311.thumb.jpg.ea684ad62a916e12c94b63d90c2a3a1d.jpg

Snapchat-1792615413.thumb.jpg.467d4c04d3349ab572d9625d4cd16816.jpg

Snapchat-1606746672.thumb.jpg.c265ac38d89aa534c8f870b852a7352f.jpg

Snapchat-1224969980.thumb.jpg.0b2cf9c40b7bfcdcf7283498ea7a48fb.jpg

Snapchat-971267842.thumb.jpg.5e43a8c6297ea4cca239e3960637e7bd.jpg

Snapchat-804820930.thumb.jpg.0f5fcf7f3b3869188b4e1b0f7eb7bc09.jpg

Snapchat-1439434205.thumb.jpg.a8be5dd965b3fd9e6179f27c67e55f23.jpg

Snapchat-1901039284.thumb.jpg.885e1a606d31d92f5c5d4351f519c9ac.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, db1486 said:

Well I know this thread should be long done by now, but were rolling on last years crop. Hope this is the last spring harvest already. Getting kind of sickening already. Anyway, we got rolling almost 2 weeks ago on the higher spots and things are slowly drying up. Frost is coming out pretty good now because I'm actually getting stuck instead of just sinking a bit. Overall I'm very surprised how much we are able to get at. Pretty much just the usual potholes are wet, and maybe in a couple weeks they will be dried right out too. Got rolling good again on Sunday and the crop is really dry. By the end of today 2019 crop should be done! Lol here's some pics of the fun

Snapchat-2105744440.thumb.jpg.64c840abcfd580bb2808758c2b934652.jpg

Snapchat-1667155311.thumb.jpg.ea684ad62a916e12c94b63d90c2a3a1d.jpg

Snapchat-1792615413.thumb.jpg.467d4c04d3349ab572d9625d4cd16816.jpg

Snapchat-1606746672.thumb.jpg.c265ac38d89aa534c8f870b852a7352f.jpg

Snapchat-1224969980.thumb.jpg.0b2cf9c40b7bfcdcf7283498ea7a48fb.jpg

Snapchat-971267842.thumb.jpg.5e43a8c6297ea4cca239e3960637e7bd.jpg

Snapchat-804820930.thumb.jpg.0f5fcf7f3b3869188b4e1b0f7eb7bc09.jpg

Snapchat-1439434205.thumb.jpg.a8be5dd965b3fd9e6179f27c67e55f23.jpg

Snapchat-1901039284.thumb.jpg.885e1a606d31d92f5c5d4351f519c9ac.jpg

Good to hear you’re getting close to wrapping things up. Hopefully no more getting stuck. I really don’t envy you. I hate spring time harvesting. Just the pucker factor alone is enough, wondering where the next spot you’re going to sink is lol. 

No field work here yet. I think we’ll do some harrowing at home the end of the week. Pot holes are still almost full and the low spots are still tacky. If we can get a week of nice hot weather wouldnsure help. Been cool and rainy here the last few days. Doesn’t amount to much but it’s not drying much either. Today kid looking like it’ll be a nice day maybe. Suns out and it’s semi warm out anyways. 

17 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Good to hear you’re getting close to wrapping things up. Hopefully no more getting stuck. I really don’t envy you. I hate spring time harvesting. Just the pucker factor alone is enough, wondering where the next spot you’re going to sink is lol. 

No field work here yet. I think we’ll do some harrowing at home the end of the week. Pot holes are still almost full and the low spots are still tacky. If we can get a week of nice hot weather wouldnsure help. Been cool and rainy here the last few days. Doesn’t amount to much but it’s not drying much either. Today kid looking like it’ll be a nice day maybe. Suns out and it’s semi warm out anyways. 

So far the spots we've been stuck are kind of expected. Just pushing it a bit maybe. Usually the massey floats along nice but then some spots where I'm going you can hardly walk lol. Hills have been surprisingly solid. Dried up pretty nice

Some guys harrowing here and I heard a couple are seeding. Ground is still cool and there is still lots of frost so I think it's too soon. Would have to go around alot of little wet spots too. I'm thinking later next week we might put some in the ground. But the forecast is all lows of -4 to -9 for the next week and some highs around 2! So no big rush yet in my mind

I never did get stuck spring harvesting but I was always affair of it. Left some god awful ruts at times. One saving grace is usually you’ll hit frost.   I did that one spring with the tractor and harrows. Was out in the middle of April and go to greedy along the one run. I didn’t get hung up but I spun out on the frost lol. Sunk down about a foot and that was it. 

How’s the sample look? Friend on Facebook was doing oats in north west sask and said they actually didn’t look that bad considering. Elevator will still want them for free though probably lol. 

On 5/6/2020 at 10:40 AM, farmer john 8910 said:

While we are talking about mud....    this was me last spring 

3CC67DC1-21DF-434A-93E8-EB3E8C3393EA.jpeg

B82D024C-EC8F-4969-8C56-4857CBC2C8E4.jpeg

Oh so much fun lol. I've had it with mud now. Sick of seeing it. I planted the combine pretty good, or bad lol, last night. We got it out this morning but what a mess. I got stuck quite a few more time today but we got the last of the crop off and that's it! 

• Sad 1
On 5/6/2020 at 12:30 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

I never did get stuck spring harvesting but I was always affair of it. Left some god awful ruts at times. One saving grace is usually you’ll hit frost.   I did that one spring with the tractor and harrows. Was out in the middle of April and go to greedy along the one run. I didn’t get hung up but I spun out on the frost lol. Sunk down about a foot and that was it. 

How’s the sample look? Friend on Facebook was doing oats in north west sask and said they actually didn’t look that bad considering. Elevator will still want them for free though probably lol. 

The sample looks pretty decent. Not as nice as last spring, I think because we had less snow cover this winter. But I'm sure it will make a 2 no problem. As long as the oil content is good it be alright. Flax looked very nice yet. That's good his oats looks ok. Ours looked terrible last fall so I wouldn't want to know how it wouldve looked this spring. Or maybe it would've looked better now lol

On 5/6/2020 at 9:40 AM, farmer john 8910 said:

While we are talking about mud....    this was me last spring 

3CC67DC1-21DF-434A-93E8-EB3E8C3393EA.jpeg

B82D024C-EC8F-4969-8C56-4857CBC2C8E4.jpeg

I foresee my self being in that situation in the next week or two as well unfortunately. Think we’ll harrow everything except for the one field that we may have to burn just so we can find s fee if the soft spots ahead of the air drill. Versatile doesn’t usually sink down to bad but as soon as it spins you’re basically done. Once the air drill hits the ruts from the tractor it’s just a coumpound effect. Tractor spins more making bigger ruts that the drill can’t come through. Then it’s time to get a spade out and dig out the muck infront of the wheels and hook on with another tractor and hope for dry land close by lol. 

7 hours ago, db1486 said:

The sample looks pretty decent. Not as nice as last spring, I think because we had less snow cover this winter. But I'm sure it will make a 2 no problem. As long as the oil content is good it be alright. Flax looked very nice yet. That's good his oats looks ok. Ours looked terrible last fall so I wouldn't want to know how it wouldve looked this spring. Or maybe it would've looked better now lol

At least it’s still got some value then. My flax was horrible the one time I had to combine it in the spring. Weighed nothing and looked horrible. His oats were standing surprisingly well considering. He posted a picture yesterday though if both combines stuck and said the semi was stuck as well. Not fun dealing with that stuff that’s for sure.  Good to hear you’re all done at least though. One less thing to worry about in 2020

14 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

At least it’s still got some value then. My flax was horrible the one time I had to combine it in the spring. Weighed nothing and looked horrible. His oats were standing surprisingly well considering. He posted a picture yesterday though if both combines stuck and said the semi was stuck as well. Not fun dealing with that stuff that’s for sure.  Good to hear you’re all done at least though. One less thing to worry about in 2020

We sold all the spring thrashed crop last year no issue, and I'm expecting the same now. Haven't taken samples in but it looks good. I'm surprised how some wheat and oats stood so well. Ours wheat and flax went flat last fall yet.

We even got last years wheat straw square baled and hauled in today lol. Only good thing about this spring harvesting is I know the combines are ready for fall lol. I really hope this doesn't happen again for a long time. Its different if it is just a field here or there but when theres thousands of acres left out 2 years in a row it's tough. Not many guys combining yet here either, and now they'll be fighting the snow again