2019 Crop Pics

I was pretty sceptical this morning when I was outside getting things rounded up.  It was actually snowing as I finished unloading the truck. I actually debated even taking the semi out to the field. Decided to make a break for it and give it a go. Wasn’t bad when I got to the field but just across the river I could see the snow coming down for a while. Lucky for me it never made it across. I combined all day from 11:00 till 11:00. Longest day I’ve worked this fall. Dad wanted to get home so I sent him home with the semi basically full and I filled up the combine and came home too. Hopefully finish mine tomorrow and maybe dads canola today if we’re real lucky. 

Forst picnwas when I went up to close the one bin at home that the lid blew off of yesterday. Snow wasn’t far away there. 

6C6AA3A4-3184-4FB0-87E2-DB3F6316F9BB.jpeg

11CAA03A-7310-485A-9B75-23E6E071757E.jpeg

20 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Wish now I'd worked half the night because today started out damp and cold. By noon it was damper and colder. Actually rain drops on the windows of the swather. Figured I"d swath some more of the hailed oats to either bale or combine or I don't know what. Basically something to keep me busy while waiting on the weather to make up its mind. Got through the morning without getting stuck but problems with straw wrapping under the draper roller and stopping the canvas. Neighbours are going on standing wheat but they usually start when its 20% moisture and then dry it. I'm beyond fed up with this weather and harvest in general. I broke the limit switch on the unload auger of the 1660 due to my own stupidity. New switch is $100 but  on back order and none available nearby. I can still work with it but have to jump the terminals on the switch to fold the auger in. Forecast sounds like I'll get a few days to work on an alternative switch. 

We did another field of wheat yesterday. It was beautiful I  the morning. But started to cloud up and get damp late afternoon. Wind stayed up so was good going. Moved into the canola at dark, with rain drops hitting the window. Tested 11, did a round, was 12. Did some more then it was over 13 so we crap it down. 11 will keep for a bit but not 13. Went baling strap this morning but snowing too much now so cant even do that. We just cant seem to get more than 2 nice days between rain or snow. We need about 3 good days to wrap things up

1 hour ago, db1486 said:

We did another field of wheat yesterday. It was beautiful I  the morning. But started to cloud up and get damp late afternoon. Wind stayed up so was good going. Moved into the canola at dark, with rain drops hitting the window. Tested 11, did a round, was 12. Did some more then it was over 13 so we crap it down. 11 will keep for a bit but not 13. Went baling strap this morning but snowing too much now so cant even do that. We just cant seem to get more than 2 nice days between rain or snow. We need about 3 good days to wrap things up

It was all over here by 3:00 pm in light rain and wet snow yesterday. Needed the wipers on the truck but could still hear the neighbours cutting wheat for a bit in the rain. Just a light dusting of snow and it is trying to melt off the roofs at mid day  but not likely to get much above freezing today. I need about 3 weeks unless we get some more nice weather like the past weekend. Then maybe less than two. I think there will be some "winter wheat" in this part of Sask. Canola too. 

2 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Started soybeans......finally!  So wet here in central Iowa.   This field went 30 bu/ an acre. Not a great year......

20191008_181756.jpg

I had hoped to start beans today but not quite ready. Will have to wait until it gets dry again, hopefully the stems are dry by then.

30 bushels of $8.xx dollar beans doesn't pay the bills to good! Hope mine do better than that.

I've been following one of these around the corn fields the last few days. There are some guys starting with soybeans this week. 

Guess I should have cleaned the windshield before the picture! 

KIMG0509.thumb.JPG.34ecdb38202a56fc22a03454f0b472dc.JPG

Didn’t get the canola done today bit we did get mine all done and the little bit left at home done.  Happy to have the far away stuff done now at least.  Everything else is fairly close to home. No breakdowns so far so that’s a big plus. Usually it breaks furthest away from home lol. 

Puppy dog was getting lonesome being home all on her own so dad brought her out in the semi this afternoon. When he went home with a load I lifted her up into the combine. She’s getting older now but still loves to be with.  Sat on the buddy seat for a while then the floor looking out the windows and then finally curled up on the floor lol. 

3BB38BE5-5F49-4546-A440-949F630FA334.jpeg

C887E31D-E168-4DD0-A576-2CDD98C43511.jpeg

D05EDC28-BD05-4131-A91E-BC19C0B05B21.jpeg

4F7B9F62-8D01-472C-8682-FDA68713354F.jpeg

622FEB15-872F-4326-A988-AA3FCC455DC6.jpeg

53262572-328F-47B7-A8F2-97635FC08304.jpeg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Loadstar said:

It was all over here by 3:00 pm in light rain and wet snow yesterday. Needed the wipers on the truck but could still hear the neighbours cutting wheat for a bit in the rain. Just a light dusting of snow and it is trying to melt off the roofs at mid day  but not likely to get much above freezing today. I need about 3 weeks unless we get some more nice weather like the past weekend. Then maybe less than two. I think there will be some "winter wheat" in this part of Sask. Canola too. 

Crazy how the weather has been so different all over the place. I heard the guys 20-30 miles south/southwest of us were combining till this afternoon. Couldn't have been dry but I guess they never got any snow or rain. But you go 30 miles to the west ant they got probably 4-6" of snow this morning. I stil think its gonna turn nice. I guess I shoulda said 3 good days will finish up combining but we still have to bale straw and other stuff. Got some second cut to do yet but might just wrap it instead of trying to get it dry

But, it was snowing pretty good tonight, so we'll see what happens lol

11 hours ago, DT Fan said:

I had hoped to start beans today but not quite ready. Will have to wait until it gets dry again, hopefully the stems are dry by then.

30 bushels of $8.xx dollar beans doesn't pay the bills to good! Hope mine do better than that.

Lots of beans up around here to do yet. They look pretty decent but I dont think any have been taken off yet. Hopefully it's not a repeat of 2016 where guys cut the beans above the water in the fields

20 hours ago, DT Fan said:

The field yesterday was even worse. 23 bu/ acre. Not much extra money this fall.....

7 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

The field yesterday was even worse. 23 bu/ acre. Not much extra money this fall.....

What's this extra money you mention? Lol. The way crops and grain prices are around here be lucky to cover the inputs. Not good. Hope next year is better

Well the canola is done finally. Hopefully finish the wheat tomorrow if it’s dry enough. Canola was sure going nice this afternoon. Moisture was down to 8.3 today and that’s good as the little piece that was left at home ended up testing 12 so I can blend it off. It’s all in the same bin so hopefully don’t end up with a hot spot.  Canola straw was coming out as powder today too. Should be nice seeding into it next spring. 

Sure was a cool start to the day though. Prince Albert was down to -10.4°C they said on the radio. Calling for -11°C tonight. 

John deere wasn’t real excited about starting this morning. Mostly because the batteries are a bit weak. Made a big smile cloud in the yard when it fired up though. Semi was blowing smoke rings for a little bit too. 

AA491489-9B31-4099-AC4E-EC9D8FC196CD.jpeg

3668C973-96E0-412A-BDDE-AABBFD5AF02F.jpeg

17D280D3-BFAF-4504-9FCF-59FAB2B471F4.jpeg

14460136-2D09-4B42-9B3B-C6D0DA36E906.jpeg

CAB2B810-561F-40A8-8D5C-79D48B5D99E1.jpeg

068B15D3-BB2C-47D6-94BE-87208BC3E45A.jpeg

D3AF7FA5-8F7A-4993-95DA-2F5914D8D2A1.jpeg

34EC2BFE-E62F-4ED1-BD1D-0628612D1ED6.jpeg

15274799-9917-4724-B2FB-415E83C02E52.jpeg

• Like 1

got rolling on wheat today not bad yields, snow took it down abit so really got to use the reels to perk it up otherwise not to bad goin. shut down alittle early being on the ground or close to to the ground risk rocks and mud in unlevel fields but should get going later once this field is done,

only thing really wrong is the weather holy geez its cold and heaters don't seem to want to work in anything the 1680 I turned the valve and antifreeze starting dripping out of the roof with no heat, looks like alittle warmer temps are on the way and they are what i'm gonna need to finish this harvest  

Finally combining the last two days on canola and its dry. Stressful working at night in muddy soft ground not knowing how far to push my luck. So far the old 1660 has chewed it's way through the mud without getting stuck so hope it holds out. Cloudy and barely above freezing yesterday but we saw the sun for a few minutes as it set. 

IMG_1776[1].JPG

IMG_1778[1].JPG

• Like 2

I saw some pictures on Facebook from around Winnipeg. Crazy the snow you guys got. Hopefully it melts and dries up but this time of the year I know how hard it is to think positive like that. I will say I’ve seen the weather do a complete 180 though and end up with a real nice warm nov too. 

Not sure if I should even post this as I know you guys aren’t done or even close to it in Ralph’s case but we did manage to finish up tonight finally. Last 40 acres took a long time to get done. The oats were split up within the last 40 acres. Some of it was really good heavy oats and some of it is just hulls. I went through and combined all the good stuff I could find and then went back over it again and combined the ooor stuff. Not sure why the sand was so behind but it never matured. It just stayed green. Probably actually would’ve been better offering it to the cattle guy that wanted to bale the straw but decided not to when we explained the straw chopper situation. 30-40 bucks a bale we probably would’ve been ahead but oh well. It’s done now and in a pile on the ground at home. Didn’t have a empty bin to put it in. 

Sun was shining quite nicely today but it sure started to cool off around 3:00  clouding over now too  

The wheat went through real nice. It still wasn’t dry though  loads were coming in 15.3-16. Had the Massey out there in the wheat for a while. Dad had cut 8-10 acres with the 4400 before it broke down so he came out and did that little bit  The Massey only combined about 50 acres this year  just enough to keep it cleaned up inside and everything loosened up I guess lol. Just after I took that ground speed picture I got sprayed by a skunk though  dam near chased me right out of the cab  can still smell it on the combine  slight chance I actually put him right through the combine and the was a bit of a whoomp at the same time .

Last 2 pics are the end of the last swath. Nice to finally be done and maybe do something else now  

32CF86AA-DCA3-4EC0-9385-726DDB9E447D.jpeg

2EE356A7-3367-4E8C-8375-2FBD6F05FA17.jpeg

674BD292-BBF5-4C6E-9E09-677ED3E714B3.jpeg

3207F76A-CF15-4D17-B994-7ED61E9999D2.jpeg

253E60D6-5CA2-476F-8F68-2FA892D4906A.jpeg

E91E9F42-B5A3-4BE1-89B2-D3B4C45549BE.jpeg

D3D5A2B0-FF9E-4E72-A893-705A0B0CFE5F.jpeg

4B78A505-3471-40F9-A832-E5ADDFEE0768.jpeg

27812D82-DBB6-4085-A65B-D45021431452.jpeg

3EF2BA03-EDF3-4A35-9167-942B544D1E0A.jpeg

• Like 3

Good to hear you were able to finish up. That always a nice feeling lol. Our oats was Terrible this year too. Lots was just hulls that the heat burnt. At least we got that straw baled up for feed. We bale oat straw behind the rotary no problem, just drop the chopper blades out and no problem. Wheat straw is a no go for us though.

Yes this snow is something. Sounds like around Portage and north up by the lakes got hit the worst. We were trying to open roads at work today. Still closed. Made it through but that's it. 3 feet of snow that fell and now theres 8-10 foot walls of snow for miles from the plows and the road isnt ecen clear yet. Try again tomorrow. At least we cant combine so I might as well be working overtime lol.

Maybe we'll get some wheat done at 15 yet too lol. Nothing under 16ish so far, and up to 18. Gonna be busy drying after harvest lol

On 10/10/2019 at 10:06 AM, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

The field yesterday was even worse. 23 bu/ acre. Not much extra money this fall....

When my ins adjuster got done with my PP this summer i told her i will see her again this fall.....she commented that she will be seeing a lot of people this fall. Frost over the weekend finished my beans. They were turning color but lots of green pods and beans yet. Smells like fresh cut hay now....

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, db1486 said:

Good to hear you were able to finish up. That always a nice feeling lol. Our oats was Terrible this year too. Lots was just hulls that the heat burnt. At least we got that straw baled up for feed. We bale oat straw behind the rotary no problem, just drop the chopper blades out and no problem. Wheat straw is a no go for us though.

Yes this snow is something. Sounds like around Portage and north up by the lakes got hit the worst. We were trying to open roads at work today. Still closed. Made it through but that's it. 3 feet of snow that fell and now theres 8-10 foot walls of snow for miles from the plows and the road isnt ecen clear yet. Try again tomorrow. At least we cant combine so I might as well be working overtime lol.

Maybe we'll get some wheat done at 15 yet too lol. Nothing under 16ish so far, and up to 18. Gonna be busy drying after harvest lol

Can’t imagine getting 3 feet of snow this time of the year  makes you wonder what winter will bring. Surprises you haven’t been driving your sled to work lol  

They may have been able to bale the oat straw better as it doesn’t chop up as good as the barley straw but in a way I was glad they didn’t. I was hopping to keep the straw on the sand to try and build up the organic matter a little bit anyways and I don’t have to worry about guys getting their bales off the field so I can get other work done. Was going to spray everything this fall but we might be past that window. See how warm it gets this coming week I guess. 

5 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Can’t imagine getting 3 feet of snow this time of the year  makes you wonder what winter will bring. Surprises you haven’t been driving your sled to work lol  

They may have been able to bale the oat straw better as it doesn’t chop up as good as the barley straw but in a way I was glad they didn’t. I was hopping to keep the straw on the sand to try and build up the organic matter a little bit anyways and I don’t have to worry about guys getting their bales off the field so I can get other work done. Was going to spray everything this fall but we might be past that window. See how warm it gets this coming week I guess. 

Oh trust me, I thought about it lol. Was gonna start the sledding thread up this weekend lol. But i was too busy at home Saturday that I never even pulled the rope. I still might've but the roads were passable yesterday morning so I just drove in. And crop in the fields yet and ditches are a little sketchy yet lol. Thought maybe today I'd fire it up but just got home from work and gotta plow snow in the yard lol. No rest this fall, whether its harvest or snow removal lol. So far spent more days plowing snow than combining!

The banks and snow piles are higher now than in March or April after a full winters snow fall! But it is dropping fast. Half of what it was yesterday. By the weekend we might be picking up swaths. I wonder if we will even get any snow this winter?

2 hours ago, db1486 said:

I wonder if we will even get any snow this winter?

We might got to much of it lol. Still to wet in my area to do any field work or harvesting.

We are very fortunate to have missed that snow that hit East of here. I was actually able to get in 3 days of combining over the weekend and finished my canola. Puts me around the 30% finished mark. Standing wheat is going to be a challenge. My swather does not handle mud well and I don't know if the straight header on the 1660 will be able to get the leaning and laying wheat. Oats standing just fine as there is no grain left in them. I have a guy interested in baling them if I can get them swathed. Might have to wait for the ground to freeze. Came awful close to stuck with the 1660 last night. Pushing the old hydro lever but not gaining any speed. Finally chewed its way through to firmer soil. Damp and light raining today so the combine gets a rest. I went out in the rain and harvested some of the oat bales I made last week. Surface of the field is already turning back to mud with this slight rain. 

IMG_1781[1].JPG