2019 Crop Pics

Saw the neighbours working on peas this evening about sundown. Dessicated over two weeks ago. I finished swathing canola this morning. Now, should I swath my oats tomorrow?

Took off another semi load yesterday and cleaned up the swaths that we had down. Load we took in yesterday morning tested 16.8 so it’s a little tougher then we’d like. Got one load on the truck yet and one more in the bin. Took the gps out to the field just for the heck of it to see how many acres I’d done. Worked out to almost exactly 40 acres. Wish it was all off but what do ya do. It’s to the point now where we can’t swath it and leave it if there’s any chance of rain. Cutting it so low already there’s no stubble left to hold the swaths up. With how big the swaths are it would just be a mess underneath and take forever to dry. 

No swathing today as its cold, windy and trying to rain. I took the time to edit some of the Gopro video from the past few days canola swathing. I edited out the bad parts of the field ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Loadstar said:

No swathing today as its cold, windy and trying to rain. I took the time to edit some of the Gopro video from the past few days canola swathing. I edited out the bad parts of the field ?

I watched it earlier this morning Ralph looks ok to me. It’s a little more mature then ours. Ours is very slow this year.  Hopefully I can get it down sooner then later though so it hopefully gets some sunshine to dry it down. 

Rained a little over a inch here again according to the neighbors gauge. Our new gauge must be out, it’s showing 2.4 inches again.  Got a sloppy wet mess here either way. Will be a few days before anything happens in the field now again. 

40 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I watched it earlier this morning Ralph looks ok to me. It’s a little more mature then ours. Ours is very slow this year.  Hopefully I can get it down sooner then later though so it hopefully gets some sunshine to dry it down. 

Rained a little over a inch here again according to the neighbors gauge. Our new gauge must be out, it’s showing 2.4 inches again.  Got a sloppy wet mess here either way. Will be a few days before anything happens in the field now again. 

Not sure how much here but it started pouring rain at supper time along with a tornado watch. Those oats I swathed in the creek last week will be absolutely soaked and likely standing in water a few places. As usual rain comes at the wrong time. At least it won't hurt the canola and should help pack the swaths down so they don't blow away in the next big wind. 

16 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Got another 2.3" this past weekend. Not far off 5" in the last 2 weeks. Sure helping the pastures and 2nd cut hay. Opened up the last field of canola yesterday before it poured rain lol. And a canvas roller bearing went out lol

Trying to finish up South Dakota hay ground before the wedding. For the last 20 years have cut 100% of this meadow. This year will probably leave 25 to 30% to water. 

IMG_20190902_161745056.thumb.jpg.a762607b304d13b42709bdc1db1e02a0.jpg

Thought I was staying on good ground............wrong

IMG_20190822_131425468.thumb.jpg.1304e440c5fa08e479c8c6dc805684af.jpg

The hay that I can get is good though. 

IMG_20190901_161725069_HDR.thumb.jpg.dce879f1c6d4ea49975e6f6fa31b450d.jpg

IMG_20190901_161537272_HDR.thumb.jpg.704ab8ae14d22b02dd5bb8c5692c722a.jpg

IMG_20190901_142745041_HDR.thumb.jpg.4f0e56840a5f7de1a32f2ecf73670029.jpg

IMG_20190901_161446851_HDR.thumb.jpg.c9d4cb770f9bbb1784338421c5c7980f.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Trying to finish up South Dakota hay ground before the wedding. For the last 20 years have cut 100% of this meadow. This year will probably leave 25 to 30% to water. 

Thought I was staying on good ground............wrong

The hay that I can get is good though. 

Nice hay and you are lucky to be able to bale. The oats I cut for baling a week ago still laying in the field. Must have had close to an inch of rain on them and it does not look too hopeful I'll get them baled before the next significant rain event. Pretty good showers yesterday afternoon and more predicted for the weekend. I did see a neighbour back at the peas yesterday morning but that is the only harvest activity I noticed. Still hardly any canola swathed except mine and one other field. Its going to be a late harvest. 

2 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Nice hay and you are lucky to be able to bale. The oats I cut for baling a week ago still laying in the field. Must have had close to an inch of rain on them and it does not look too hopeful I'll get them baled before the next significant rain event. Pretty good showers yesterday afternoon and more predicted for the weekend. I did see a neighbour back at the peas yesterday morning but that is the only harvest activity I noticed. Still hardly any canola swathed except mine and one other field. Its going to be a late harvest. 

It's been one helluva year down here too. So much rain. My landlord usually puts up 3 to 4000 bales for their 650 cows and so far have only 700. All their meadows are under water. Some are haying up into the hills, getting rolled up what they can for calving time and praying for an open winter.  Alot of the hay that is getting put up has been rained on multiple times. It is one for the books. Still can't forget 2012 when we were so dry, hardly any hay to put up except those low wet meadows that are now under water. These last few years have been the extremes!

3 hours ago, sandhiller said:

It's been one helluva year down here too. So much rain. My landlord usually puts up 3 to 4000 bales for their 650 cows and so far have only 700. All their meadows are under water. Some are haying up into the hills, getting rolled up what they can for calving time and praying for an open winter.  Alot of the hay that is getting put up has been rained on multiple times. It is one for the books. Still can't forget 2012 when we were so dry, hardly any hay to put up except those low wet meadows that are now under water. These last few years have been the extremes!

So much hay here there is very little value to it. Some just didn't get cut.

14 minutes ago, mader656 said:

So much hay here there is very little value to it. Some just didn't get cut.

As expensive as the trucking will be, I'll bet some of it will be heading this way. We have seen it leave here when conditions are the opposite and wondered how they can afford it. Some will wean early to get the cows in the best shape possible going into winter, some will sell down to match their feed supply on hand, some will by what hay they can afford,  some will truck cows out to the feed and some will try to tough it out and hope for an open winter and buy extra cake or protein tubs. It will be tough on many. But most have been through it before, usually drought caused so at least their is grass in the hills going into winter like we've never seen. Pray for open winter!!! 

Still very slow progress here. The wheat looks the right colour from a distance but different story when you walk in. Too many green heads down below, and a few up above. I took this picture yesterday. 3 yearsago I was combining dry, standing wheat off that field. Not even close this year. 

IMG_1696[1].JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Still very slow progress here. The wheat looks the right colour from a distance but different story when you walk in. Too many green heads down below, and a few up above. I took this picture yesterday. 3 yearsago I was combining dry, standing wheat off that field. Not even close this year. 

IMG_1696[1].JPG

I was looking back at pictures last night and a year ago we were all done swathing. We had dads barley done by today and had just started on mine when the snow and rains moved in. Next picture I had was the 5th if oct combining canola. Hope that’s not the case this year. That would really suck. 

Went to humboldt today to pick up dads new lenses for his glasses. Saw a few guys going again. Mostly barley with a few pea fields as well.  I’ll maybe try a sampletomorrow again if it doesn’t rain overnight. Awful cloudy in the southwest now again. 

Did a little combine shopping today just to see what’s out there looked at a 8010 and a 9120 cih. 8010 had quite a few more hours on it but was less then half the price. 9120 had 1900 hours on it. Thinking it’s oribably out for this year but you never know. Nice looking combine anyways. Would be quite a jump from the 850 and 2188 lol  I’d like to swath everything with the new swathed and get rid of the old versatile but as long as the Massey is around we kind of have to keep it around. This 9120 could use a 35’ swather instead of the 30’ we have now on the other hand. Kind of going from one extreme to another lol.   

95FFA806-AA97-46E6-943F-C18F256CEA86.jpeg

12 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Went to humboldt today to pick up dads new lenses for his glasses. Saw a few guys going again. Mostly barley with a few pea fields as well.  I’ll maybe try a sampletomorrow again if it doesn’t rain overnight. Awful cloudy in the southwest now again. 

Did a little combine shopping today just to see what’s out there looked at a 8010 and a 9120 cih. 8010 had quite a few more hours on it but was less then half the price. 9120 had 1900 hours on it. Thinking it’s oribably out for this year but you never know. Nice looking combine anyways. Would be quite a jump from the 850 and 2188 lol  I’d like to swath everything with the new swathed and get rid of the old versatile but as long as the Massey is around we kind of have to keep it around. This 9120 could use a 35’ swather instead of the 30’ we have now on the other hand. Kind of going from one extreme to another lol.   

Just heard a forecast of constant widespread rain for the next few days so I have no hope for harvest any time soon. The oat/grass I swathed over a week ago still had damp green layers in the swath yesterday. I'd really like to get it baled before the next rain hits but not sure its going to happen. Might try turning the swath with the rake today and hope for some drying weather tomorrow before monday's rain hits. We just can't get any real drying weather. 

A 2188 would be a big step up for me on my small acreage. 

Took this shot yesterday afternoon. You can see how green some of the canola (in the background) still is here. Not much swathed yet. Most years it would all be swathed and some combined already. 

canola south sep 6.jpg

The 2188 was a pretty good sized jump from the 850 too. I’d like to get another newer machine but they’re not cheap that’s for sure  

We started swathing canola today finally. Still a bit green in places but if we want any hope of it drying I think we need to get it down sooner then later.  Most of it doesn’t look to bad but some spots you have to look the other way lol.  It’s fairly heavy for the most part. Some of the hill tops are just loaded with storks bill though. Never seen it that bad before. Didn’t affect the crop much but it’s sure ugly underneath. 

76379979-DBC4-49E1-9B7E-8C0AC8B99CAC.jpeg

E6B9FF57-5538-4BD2-91B7-47F9215B7A55.jpeg

10EE0A41-0165-4759-81E9-C593CBE6B3FE.jpeg

got the peas done today and sprayed alittle bit of wheat, also have 1 quarter of wheat swathed ,still not a fan of spraying wheat but we weren't even done the first pea field and the geese were landing next to us, also second growth wild oats comin in now crop is mostly ripe but oats are green 

maybe try some canola tomorrow , sounds like rain for Monday so I guess may have a few days off 

Tht canola does look ready to swath. Wheat here has too many green heads for me to even take the combine out of the shed. I tried turning some oat swaths (for baling) that had been swathed a week ago and they were still green and wet inside. Poor drying all week here but today was a little better. Muddy ground and the rake plugged up in the heavy swaths.

Raking oats.jpg

On 9/5/2019 at 9:58 AM, sandhiller said:

It's almost like we switched weather. From about 4 years ago and quite a few years back from then, we didnt even cut slough hay, was leaving pieces on tame hay fields, and where we did cut we left ruts everywhere. I remember getting stuck baling. On a grass field, with the 1486 with duals. We ended up unhooking the baler and pulling with the 4wd. Wrecked alot of equipment those years and left some messes in the fields. This year we've cut sloughs that have never been cut before. And theres no watching for wet tires or water lol. Just cut. But we also got 1/3 of the bales total this year than what we did in those wet years, so not sure what's better. Havent had hay rained on in about 3 years now. Crazy how things change 

23 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Just heard a forecast of constant widespread rain for the next few days so I have no hope for harvest any time soon. The oat/grass I swathed over a week ago still had damp green layers in the swath yesterday. I'd really like to get it baled before the next rain hits but not sure its going to happen. Might try turning the swath with the rake today and hope for some drying weather tomorrow before monday's rain hits. We just can't get any real drying weather. 

A 2188 would be a big step up for me on my small acreage. 

Took this shot yesterday afternoon. You can see how green some of the canola (in the background) still is here. Not much swathed yet. Most years it would all be swathed and some combined already. 

canola south sep 6.jpg

Our greenfeed has been down just over two weeks. Needed one more day last weekend but it rained. Did some baling last night and we'll roll the rest up today. Wouldve bern done if we could've raked it but would lose too much oats. Had about 5 inches of rain on it but looks good yet. Hard to see it get rained on when it was dry all summer and no rain on any of the hay lol

Finished swathing canola on Friday. Some guys are combining canola already, some guys just swathing. Wheat has been around 18-19 so some are going. Forecast looks terrible this week so I hope it turns nice again already. And had a pretty good frost this morning. Everything was white, so our wheat should be naturally dessicated ?

Just my canola left now, we finished dads up aside from a little bit at home that’s still pretty green. If all goes well I might be done tomorrow. Raining tonight a little though so who knows what will happen. 

Had a nice little mule deer out in the field with me this morning. It just hung around the whole time I was swathing. I suspect it’s beem there in that one hollow all summer now. 

I got dad on the new swather this afternoon and flew the drone around a bit. He hasn’t run it much yet and is still a little flustered with the controls lol. 

074110BE-D35F-4833-B839-0F10855E9E84.jpeg

8477CF3B-2E04-484F-B8CA-3CA8F52685D2.jpeg

A5F5259D-2724-44A3-907E-E740296356DF.jpeg

62FFDB38-FB95-4881-B7C9-3AE07703D2F1.jpeg

496E7535-8D09-4049-87D7-BB206BFBE8F7.jpeg

AE9AC116-70DB-4CDE-B07D-CF0602B71826.jpeg

ABC04CF9-748B-4112-B70C-B6C3B44FDE1C.jpeg

7448238F-8838-4205-9041-E84CA42CF73A.jpeg

608A9508-49C0-4633-AD7C-66C0DB92DF29.jpeg

ya those controls can take abit to get used to, some times I wonder if i'd like my old setup back my old 8820 had foot pedals for header and reel up and down, the return to cut feature is cool I just don't like how rough it can be going back down sometimes gives abit of whiplash 

tried my canola that's been down for 2 weeks and still was 13.6 moisture with 0 green, I did get to run the new combine for 5 min and can tell its gonna be an enjoyable time to combine now 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wheatking said:

ya those controls can take abit to get used to, some times I wonder if i'd like my old setup back my old 8820 had foot pedals for header and reel up and down, the return to cut feature is cool I just don't like how rough it can be going back down sometimes gives abit of whiplash 

tried my canola that's been down for 2 weeks and still was 13.6 moisture with 0 green, I did get to run the new combine for 5 min and can tell its gonna be an enjoyable time to combine now 

7088 you got?