Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2019 Crop Pics

Well I guess it’s that time of the year again lol. Not much for progress here yet. Got the versatile and drill ready to go. Have to pull the harrows out tomorrow and replace a couple set of wheel bearings I think and weld up one crack in the frame. Probably have to fish plate it as it’s cracked in the main hinge pin plate. 

Only picture I have so far. The rest of you guys will ya e to pick up the slack for  couple more days till I get rolling lol. 

Decided to throw in a picture from our logging landing yesterday. Was up checking roads to see how things were coming along. It snowed off and on all day yesterday. 

8CA391DE-330D-43A7-BB98-5F6FFF273F38.jpeg

2E995D90-02E8-45D6-91BE-5B273CBAD744.jpeg

• Like 7

Nice to see the 875 still earning its keep👍 There’s still a few 835,855 875s in this area yet too. Pretty hard to beat those Versy’s  cheap realiable horsepower. Pretty decent cab in their day too

• Like 2

It’s older but it’s simple,reliable and paid for. None of which the newer ones are lol.  I don’t mind running it, powershoft would be nice at times but really once you pick a gear you dont really change much. Dads owned it since 1984 or 1985 can’t remember for sure. It’s a 1983. Still fairly low hours on it. I’d like to get a newer tractor with a little more hp and a little more tire on the ground. On the wet years it struggles a little with traction. Dry years it pulls it very easy. Nothing a couple hundred thousand wouldn’t fix I guess lol. 

The part about simple, reliable & paid for is king. Was talking to a buddy of mine I went to high school with 81-83. They are still running a 846 his dad bought new. 8100hrs & he said about 100 hours a year now, Told me he can’t justify a newer one & like yours it’s paid for.

Was checking how the Alfalfa is doing in this over 7 acre field. A little thin right now but I hope it will get thicker

1497073954_geisseundvideos030.thumb.JPG.f7f55c6dae2639cc1ae2de673fdf2502.JPG

Nothing much happening here, so no picking up the slack from me lol. It was snowing here yesterday too but never got the ground white. Cold though. Have to plug tractors in if we wanted to start anything early in the morning. Was -7c yesterday morning and this morning. Not getting much over 5c during the day even. Too cold to put seed in the ground as far as I'm concerned. Even the trees quit budding lol. No green on the hay fields yet. The pasture is greening up, but probably froze the last few days lol. Even the fields dad worked last week dont have any green showing yet. Maybe get rolling next week, possibly this weekend.

Nice outfit there. Lots of older versatiles and bourgault air seeders putting crop in the ground around here. Good ole workhorses

On 5/6/2019 at 10:45 PM, U-C said:

Was checking how the Alfalfa is doing in this over 7 acre field. A little thin right now but I hope it will get thicker

1497073954_geisseundvideos030.thumb.JPG.f7f55c6dae2639cc1ae2de673fdf2502.JPG

Looks greener then most of the hayfields around here so far. Some of the lighter land north of us is going to be a struggle for guys again I’m affraid. If they don’t get the showers in April or early May to get them going it seems like it’s a lost cause for the whole summer.  

On 5/6/2019 at 11:07 PM, db1486 said:

Nothing much happening here, so no picking up the slack from me lol. It was snowing here yesterday too but never got the ground white. Cold though. Have to plug tractors in if we wanted to start anything early in the morning. Was -7c yesterday morning and this morning. Not getting much over 5c during the day even. Too cold to put seed in the ground as far as I'm concerned. Even the trees quit budding lol. No green on the hay fields yet. The pasture is greening up, but probably froze the last few days lol. Even the fields dad worked last week dont have any green showing yet. Maybe get rolling next week, possibly this weekend.

Nice outfit there. Lots of older versatiles and bourgault air seeders putting crop in the ground around here. Good ole workhorses

Not much growing in the fields yet here either, little bit of volunteer canola under all the straw and some of the winter annuals are greening up. Debating if we’ll bother spraying or not though. The way it looks I don’t think we will. 

Its sure been a good old tractor. Hasn’t cost us much in repairs over the years that’s for sure. It’s a shame tires are worth more then the tractor now though it at least close to it. 

Well a bumpy start to 19 so far. Almost had the harrow bar ready to go late this afternoon and dad came over and got me. Mom fell and broke her femur on her right side. Just got home from the hospital. Surgery first thing this morning they’ve said so hopefully all goes well.  Probably have to be back in there in about 5 hours so won’t be much sleep tonight unfortunately.  Been a couple other letdowns lately so hopefully this isn’t the start of a bad year. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Well a bumpy start to 19 so far. Almost had the harrow bar ready to go late this afternoon and dad came over and got me. Mom fell and broke her femur on her right side. Just got home from the hospital. Surgery first thing this morning they’ve said so hopefully all goes well.  Probably have to be back in there in about 5 hours so won’t be much sleep tonight unfortunately.  Been a couple other letdowns lately so hopefully this isn’t the start of a bad year. 

Keep God in the picture here, he'll help !

• Like 3

On 5/9/2019 at 2:39 AM, poor farmer/logger said:

That's rough. It's never fun when you get other things happening any time, nevermind when it's the busy season. My grandma broke her leg right about this time of the year quite a few years back. Good thing it rained that whole week because dad was gone the whole time dealing with that. Hope all is well and everything heals up good

• Like 2

Got the harrows finished up late last night. Was going to go out and do some but it was already 9:30 and pretty much desk already. Spent the morning and better part of the afternoon in the hospital waiting. Dr finally came about noon and said it so t be till 5:30 6:00.  She went into surgery about 6:00 and got back into recovery about 10:00. She’s back on the main floor now and doing good.  Heading in to see her again now. Going to be a long road to recovery though. They had to put a rod in and steel plates on the sides.  Bigger surgery then her hip replacement 2 years ago. 

Was set to go harrow this morning too but it rained for about a hour so there wasn’t much point.  Maybe tomorrow I can get a couple quarters done. Or even start late this afternoon on the canola stubble if it dries up enough. 

• Like 1

That's good to hear. Some people recover so well you'd never know anything happened, and some it bothers forever. 

I hope you sent that rain our way lol. They're calling for tonight and tomorrow. I hope so cause it's dry and cold yet. Maybe start seeding early next week 

Been dry enough here to get  in the field for  a couple  of weeks. But so cold and dry that I wasn't going to put seed in the ground. Did what little anhydrousing I planned to do on the weekend and then went back and harrowed it to spread the canola chaff and straw. Finally yesterday got a little warmer so I took the air seeder out to calibrate and test. Ended up seeding a  whole 32 acres of wheat before sundown. Went back at it this morning and seeded another 32 acres but it was spitting rain enough to really mess up the windows so I shut down for dinner and never did go back. At least it laid the dust for a while. Hopefully get a little more serious rain tonight. 

Picture from yesterday. 

First day seeding.jpg

• Like 3

Rain was patchy. Coming home the roads weren’t to bad till we got 1/4 mile south of home then they started to get muddy again. Didn’t regain a lot but things were a little muddy compared to just a little further south  

it was like this off and on all day at the hospital  might be able to see the north sask river in the distance  

66A219C2-59E5-4AFC-9AF1-DEDF543933DC.thumb.jpeg.a7d7a737c2ea2103be9fec370f6ede1a.jpeg

Went in a little before noon to the hospital to check up on mom. Waited around all day hoping the dr would stop in to check up on her but he never even showed up.  Physio got her up today for a bit to stand beside the bed but the muscles have a ways to go now again.  Hopefully get a little progress everyday. 

Looks good Ralph im hoping things cooperate next week now and we can get something done. Going to try and do some field work this weekend if the weather cooperates. 

Finally got a wee bit done  got the sloughs all worked up on one quarter and filled in a bunch of v ditches   Sloughs that I worked last fall sure worked up nice this spring  almost look like summerfallow lol  fields are working up pretty nice too even with the old ih cultivator lol  

052B9B79-D5B2-4070-87FE-B44ABE1E7C79.jpeg

8F17E9F8-4AFE-476C-B236-799F5E9AB2BF.jpeg

9AB1D636-6630-4CCA-B739-B3330D1E27B4.jpeg

84ADF92D-9701-4209-925D-F09DDADB90FA.jpeg

FF5120A4-E4F8-4038-BE93-AEC96E6311EA.jpeg

• Like 2

Quite a few guys are wrapping up wheat around here now. And theres quite a few like us that havent started yet. The ground is finally starting to warm up. Need a good rain. Tried to spit last night and this morning but never got nothing from it. Hopefully get seeding in a few days and just keep rolling

The fields that dad worked up two weeks ago sure did a nice job too. I almost got the cultivator all ready to go now too so should be ready to turn some more dirt now lol

Cultivating in the liquid manure. And then brake down lol

1182845215_Versatile009.thumb.JPG.2b8f666a85067141a4e7e090ad6fa864.JPG609285635_Versatile011.thumb.JPG.45d7d782b39d7f2c71c359894253cfd6.JPG1593519458_Versatile012.thumb.JPG.76c399a7f77bcfaa00d17ac2c3ca1534.JPG2117023603_Versatile013.thumb.JPG.ebac4ba576bc458538648acb02b0d3ba.JPG

1 hour ago, U-C said:

Cultivating in the liquid manure. And then brake down lol

1182845215_Versatile009.thumb.JPG.2b8f666a85067141a4e7e090ad6fa864.JPG609285635_Versatile011.thumb.JPG.45d7d782b39d7f2c71c359894253cfd6.JPG1593519458_Versatile012.thumb.JPG.76c399a7f77bcfaa00d17ac2c3ca1534.JPG2117023603_Versatile013.thumb.JPG.ebac4ba576bc458538648acb02b0d3ba.JPG

I just went through all the wheel and axle bearings on our cultivator. Nothing I hate more than when a wheel bearing goes when its beautiful out lol

• Like 1

I did something similar to that about 4 years ago only I did it in highfashing and really made a mess of it lol. Still not sure what the sequence of events was but ultimately I ended up with a mighty twisted rock shaft, broken hydraulic cylinder, wrecked tire and a couple of broken hoses. The walking axle somehow doubled overitself and just tore everything up along the way. Had to bring it home on the forks of the Volvo loader. 

AFDEE28D-66A5-484C-8060-81AC15E17888.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, db1486 said:

I just went through all the wheel and axle bearings on our cultivator. Nothing I hate more than when a wheel bearing goes when its beautiful out lol

The Worst part is when it breaks on the weekend where ya can't get any parts lol Or ya have to wait because they need to order it in.

9 minutes ago, U-C said:

The Worst part is when it breaks on the weekend where ya can't get any parts lol Or ya have to wait because they need to order it in.

Yep. Usually Friday about 6:15 of the long weekend 😂 Which is why we keep a good stock of bearings and parts  lol

Here is pic of our 875 getting four newer tires. The Goodyear were shot and we bought some used firestone radials on rim. I will put pictures up again through growing season I like to look at your guys stuff and pic of 976 and concord earning its keep

39C80924-58E4-4BE9-A19A-B11DC7C39809.jpeg

4E843250-D3BE-415B-A300-FBBE1121FAB8.jpeg

D9A70CDF-DCFC-4E32-A24E-F282687A101C.jpeg

E4F969F8-9122-4DFF-95A2-7A2706138505.jpeg

• Like 4

On 5/11/2019 at 8:16 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

Finally got a wee bit done  got the sloughs all worked up on one quarter and filled in a bunch of v ditches   Sloughs that I worked last fall sure worked up nice this spring  almost look like summerfallow lol  fields are working up pretty nice too even with the old ih cultivator lol  

Same here, a lot of acres are coming back into production with the dry conditions. I just finished my first quarter of wheat today and gained a good 3 acres just from a few sloughs I reclaimed. Burned off the bulrushes last fall and a few tillage operations and I was able to seed right through and leave dust. First time I can remember doing that in a long time. Had hydraulic issues on the air seeder yesterday with hoses to the fan blowing out. Turned out to be a bad Pioneer coupler on one of the hose ends. It was causing so much back pressure in the hose that something had to blow. Took a while (and some help) to figure that one out. 

No pictures from today but I took this one about a week ago when I was anhydrousing. 

NH3 May 4.jpg

• Like 1

Took this pic on Sunday when I was filling the 875 with cider lol

440137613_zueg004.thumb.JPG.95bd95bb30b5aad3d7c72cf660df1352.JPG

• Like 1

Our 875 could use all new outside tires. They’re still originals on it but they’re worn pretty low and checked pretty good too. We’ve put new inside tires on over the years but the first ones are starting to crack a little already.  Couldn’t get Firestone field and road when we did the back so we had to put Goodyear’s on it. 

Got the last of the sloughs worked today and v ditches all filled in again.  Coming home with the cultivator I blew out another fire though. This time on the main frame walking axle.  I just put a new one on the wing this morning so I took that rim off and mounted it on the walking axle. Got home with it anyways. 

Hopefully start seeding tomorrow.  Just about got the first quarter harrows tonight but I was running low on fuel so I came home.

yogi bear decided to see if I had any picnic baskets with me today I guess. I was working g along the fence line watching g posts and word so I didn’t read anything down with me. I came around the corner and started following the bush. I looked up in front of me then and here was a nice sized black bear infront of me.  I followed him for a bit and when I got about 20 feet away he decided to duck off into the bush. It just stood there behind a tree and watched me. 02903061-D6EF-414C-A64F-A4F8DD814A2F.thumb.jpeg.ec129dd587094d5097285fb436648545.jpegFE296C36-6796-4B71-84D8-9311051974D1.thumb.png.30f8c1222ede1f7997c3240fc05c2707.png

17447D37-36D0-4CAC-BBA9-B1DB4D89972E.jpeg

D09766C3-D22B-4354-BA0A-E0A3E063A9E3.jpeg

54D82A92-C44B-44C3-A537-D05C3D90F871.jpeg

912E5EFC-362E-457F-823D-23132AD848A2.jpeg

• Like 2