5488 to 71XX Magnum Hitch Conversion...Can it be done?

Had a customer call me today, he was eyeballing his 5488 vs his neighbors Magnum. He is looking to eliminate the torque tube and crank arm on his 5488 and mount up the set-up off of a Magnum. I know the lower links are the same, but as far as where the links mount I have no clue if that will mount up or not. Has anyone tried this? Does the rear end castings accommodate this?

IMG_20190506_162740981_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20190506_162814974_HDR[1].jpg

I am not a 100 percent but I think it will enterchange .

Danny 

I wish our Magnums had a simple remote valve to raise and lower the 3PT. I don't ever use draft control ever . One more thing that gives problems

i believe i would sandwich  a 5/8" flat iron under the swinging drawbar  anchor, (longer bolts) or maybe angles, and come back with heavy flat, or angle to each side of hitch at junction of lower draft link attaching area, hold this area up to crank arm area with appropriate weldment and bolts ? this would be a triangle looking weldment when finished. totally remove torsion shaft, and other junk.use expansion plugs in place, of t shaft, like a wheatland, without 3pt see 1566.       on a 1566-86, you can use  2, 5/8" plates on each side of the casted in drawbar lugs on the planetary houses, (put draft kinks between plates) these lugs are for drawbar  on wheatland tractors. make sure and use a clevis type anchor for draft links.

1 hour ago, superih said:

Does anyone use draft control?  I've never seen it used around here.

What does it actually do?  Never used it either, and don't know anyone that has.

Our plow is pull type/onland ......no draft control needed 

1 hour ago, 1586 Jeff said:

I use it frequently when plowing.  Especially in variable soils.

So basically it varies your plowing depth when the pulling gets hard correct?

7 hours ago, superih said:

So basically it varies your plowing depth when the pulling gets hard correct?

Basically yes but no. As tires slip back end of tractor lowers. Plow goes deeper. Draft raises hitch. Puts weight on tires. Tires quit slipping. Back of tractor raises. Hitch relaxes. It actually keeps plowing depth more uniform

I will admit it works better on fully mounted plows than semi mount..

I have used my draft control on my 1066 when pulling a 3pt chisel plow with flat guage tires. Otherwise it is worthless to me.

If you install the magnum setup on the 5488 can the second external lift cylinder be added as well?

Thx-Ace

Draft control is SUPPOSED to work the way snoshoe describes it.

But here’s what happens too many times with straight draft control: wheels start slipping, draft control sees the draft load lighten, and then commands the hitch to LOWER while the wheels are spinning, and then a bad situation turns into a bigger problem. 

To combat this, most manufacturers tie the radar gun into the draft control circuit anymore. CaseIH calls it ‚Äúelectronic slip limit control‚ÄĚ. This way, when the wheels start slipping a certain %,¬†the radar works with¬†the draft control to raise the hitch, instead of lower it in a mud hole.¬†

I was gonna say draft control as such is history now.  My Maxxums use the radar for slip control.  I’m here to say that some real odd things happen when you try to use the 3 point when the radar is malfunctioning and the slip control is turned on!  We never ever used draft control on our tractors that I know of, pulled semi mounted plows, chisels and subsoilers.

10 hours ago, acem said:

I have used my draft control on my 1066 when pulling a 3pt chisel plow with flat guage tires. Otherwise it is worthless to me.

If you install the magnum setup on the 5488 can the second external lift cylinder be added as well?

Thx-Ace

You can add the second lift cylinder on a 5488.  I did that with mine for the 1790 planter weight.  Just need the lower cylinder bracket and the upper arm with cylinder attachment.  Yes I traded my parts for those parts at a salvage yard.  Takes some of the load off the one lift cylinder and the internal cylinder. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, 5488Duke said:

You can add the second lift cylinder on a 5488.  I did that with mine for the 1790 planter weight.  Just need the lower cylinder bracket and the upper arm with cylinder attachment.  Yes I traded my parts for those parts at a salvage yard.  Takes some of the load off the one lift cylinder and the internal cylinder. 

Did the same on my 5488!

We use draft control not only for controlling Dept on a plow but we have a 3 point Harley rake it works great you set your draft and no matter how far you push your hitch down it will stop at the dept you want it