Any Pontiac Guys On Here?

I told my bil  years ago I didn't care what car it was as long as it had an Indian head and a stage coach.

5 minutes ago, IKS said:

didn't care what car it was as long as it had an Indian head

Pontiac I had was a 69 LeMans Coupe with a V-8?  A 350 meb'be?

best, randy

Had a 67 Firebird convertible. 326 4 speed back around 72 or 73. Nice car, sold it to buy a new pickup.

Dennis

As a kid I got to spend many miles riding with my gram in their 67 Pontiac Executive.  Still at pap's place but my aunt owns it now.  Was a nice car but unfortunately it now sits outside.

I've owned my 1966 Catalina convertible since 1988. We take it out west every year. A joy to drive. Gets 12-13 mpg no matter how you drive it. But worth it. My folks bought a new 1967 GTO. They replaced it with a new 1971 Malibu four door with a 307.  

A lot of people were pissed over GM taking the government buy out I was even more pissed for them ending the Pontiac line. On a side not i can't stand that Richard Rawlings

1 hour ago, 88power said:

A lot of people were pissed over GM taking the government buy out I was even more pissed for them ending the Pontiac line. On a side not i can't stand that Richard Rawlings

Ill agree with this 100% . I always felt they should have axed the GMC line. For god's sake they are the same thing as a Chevy with different badging. 

Ill admit it didn't have as much of a cool factor as a Trans Am or GTO. But i loved my 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. Supercharged 3800. Damn that thing was a blast to drive. Still miss it.

1 minute ago, Reichow7120 said:

But i loved my 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. Supercharged 3800. Damn that thing was a blast to drive. Still miss it.

I have a ‘99 GTP, my boys say the same thing, (although now it’s not as cool as a diesel pickup) it’s a blast to drive. 

Just now, ihrondiesel said:

I have a ‘99 GTP, my boys say the same thing, (although now it’s not as cool as a diesel pickup) it’s a blast to drive. 

I drive trucks so much that the "Ohhh COOL"  factor has worn off. A sporty car still does it for me. Don't have one currently. Driving a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer currently with a boatload of miles.

Had a powder blue 326 4 speed hard top.

Another idiot that sold it?

I agree, they kept grandpa's Buick and dropped the Grand Prix which was one of the best cars ever built.

What were they thinking?

I'm not much of a Pontiac fan, but the Vibes are great little cars, except they were made by TMMI (Toyota)….  

My first vibe I bought used for 5300 bucks with a 100K on the odometer.   Drove it 7 years and put another 185K on it, and might of spent 500 on repairs other than brakes and tires.  Sold it for 2K a couple years ago.   So cost of ownership per year was 543 dollars per year, minus brakes and tires.   That's cheap transportation. 

My current replacement vibe I paid 3500 for 2 years ago with 119K on it.  It now has 170K but I did finally have to spend 130 bucks on a new AC clutch for it.  So I'm currently at 1,815 dollars per year cost of ownership.  Or in other words buying a new car at 400 bucks a 4.5 months of payments and the other months free! :)

I probably should be on the lookout for another one owner garage kept Vibe to have on backup as they are getting harder to find with less than 250K on them! 

First one only ever had a water pump, valve cover gasket, electric fan motor put on it in 285K miles, and ran like a top when I sold it in tax season.  

19 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

I drive trucks so much that the "Ohhh COOL"  factor has worn off. A sporty car still does it for me. Don't have one currently. Driving a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer currently with a boatload of miles.

I’m with you there. But my boys might not know what a GTO is, and a later model Trans Am is way out of their reach. The cool thing in high school right now is diesel pickups, but my second boy loves the Grand Prix. Might also have to do with him being second and his older brother laying claim to the pickup. 

16 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

Pontiac I had was a 69 LeMans Coupe with a V-8?  A 350 meb'be?

best, randy

I also had a LeMans and kids mine was a 75 station wagon with big blue block 400 and a tonne of power .

In 1965 may Navy Buddy reenlisted in the Navy and took his reenlistment bonus and purchased a Pontiac Lemans coupe.  It was an HO 326 (285 HP rated) T10 4-speed  with a 3.55 posi, basically a 326 powered GTO.

It ran well, totally stock it did 18 sec 1/4 miles .  I drove it many times while we were stationed in San Diego but only as a grocery getter.

Now that many years and cars have passed through my life I realize it was a winner.

Have been a loyal Pontiac owner for a long time. My wife still has a 2005 GTP. It’s fast but can’t keep up with our 2015 Taurus SHO. It has the 365 hp twin turbo Ecoboost. Both are fun to drive and travel in.

GM killing Pontiac resulted in me never owning anything GM ever again. 

Actually Pontiac was killed in the early 70's when GM consolidated their various car lines and the only engines left were Chevy some Olds and some Cad.  About the same time that they discontinued the GMC gas and diesel truck engines.

Never will forget in 77 when the star at Cadillac (SEVILLE) was a Jazed up Chevy Nova with an Olds 350 engine, with the atrocious body styling, but it had electronic FI. Only thing Cad about it was the glued on name plate.

LIke International Harvester, GM has taken a long time down hill spiral.

We owned four different bonnevilles over the years.  All had the 3800 engine and all had nearly 200,000 miles when we sold/traded them.  With the exception of a leaky rear main seal on the ‘97, only expenses were brake pads, tires and a couple of plastic intake manifolds.  Fuel mileage was in the mid to late 20’s always and they were fun to drive.  They were a tough, dependable car and I really miss them!

• Like 1

Back in the late 60's they had the OHC 6. Did anybody have one? Buddys GF had one in a LeMans I think, but I know nothing about them. I remember at the drags some of the lower class alters (6 cyl) were running them, but I don't remember them doing very well. 

2 hours ago, dads706 said:

Back in the late 60's they had the OHC 6. Did anybody have one? Buddys GF had one in a LeMans I think, but I know nothing about them. I remember at the drags some of the lower class alters (6 cyl) were running them, but I don't remember them doing very well. 

Another Guy I knew owned one, it had to be a 67 LeMans with the OHC 6 with a quadrajet 4 bl , believe to be rated at 195 HP from 230 CI automatic. It did not compare favorably to the HO 326. The other American OHC-6 I came across was a Jeep way back in earilier 60's.

1968 Firebird. Finally got to snap a couple pictures. My dad bought it with 3000 miles in 1968. It would be great to fix it up but it is in pretty rough condition.

IMG_4696.JPG

IMG_4697.JPG

• Like 4
10 hours ago, AZ8950 said:

1968 Firebird. Finally got to snap a couple pictures. My dad bought it with 3000 miles in 1968. It would be great to fix it up but it is in pretty rough condition.

IMG_4696.JPG

IMG_4697.JPG

There have been a lot worse fixed up. I wouldnt give up on it.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, AZ8950 said:

IMG_4696.JPG

IMG_4697.JPG

With that history I wouldn’t care. Fix it up.  

Tony in Ca has a guy, not cheap, but man do you get what you pay for 

• Like 1