Sign in to follow this  
superman

Farmall Super C

Farmall Super C this last winter showing anti- freeze in the oil pan!!?? about a 1/4 cup?? I just bought the tractor last fall, no records, put it in the barn for winter storage with about five service job to do on it, one was pull the oil pan for a scrub and during that cold winter storage the anti- freeze showed up.?? What to do??  With a bright flash light I looked up no cracks, it looked like no. 2 piston had a little green?? between the piston and  the wall,  So I'm thinking  cold winter, did the head gasket shrink back?? Should I pull the head. Any Idea  would help.

Those engines are known for seeping coolant from o rings on sleeves during extended cold weather.   Most people never notice .  If a small amount of antifreeze ruins an engine,  there would be a whole of non running engines.  Fresh oil and keep an eye on it.  

Antifreeze between piston and sleeve indicate it's not orings. Head gasket most likely. Head or upper sleeve problem possible.

Today I pulled the spark plugs, looked real hard with a flash light  in the plug holes,  cranked the pistons up & down to the top and no anti-freeze ??!!$$$$ 

Aparently you don't have much of a leak. Depending on how you plan to use it Pete's plan could be a good one. Personally I would pressure test the system and when I knew what was leaking. Decide what to do then.

Yes not much of a leak, just a weeper, the super C will not be doing much mainly light work one tractor show. I'm thinking drain the freeze do my mechanical service, new temp gauge, new pipe coming out of the manifold , distrubitor rebuild, glue the oil pan back in with Loctite blue noooo gasket, did that 25 years ago to a farmall M oil pan no leaks to this day, tappet covers get the same. New oil & filter,  Filling with water for the summer and watching it.

I would need more detail on pressure test?

With pan off and cooling system full apply air pressure to system. An unpressureized system 6-7 psl is plenty. A pressureized system 3-4 psi over cap rateing. Every shop I worked in had tester. You should be able to get someone to test it for you if not loan the tester.

OK;  pressure is some thing to consider, I don't think my old radiator can take much. Thanks for the Idea's Guys.

Pressure test with the pan off. It only took about 2 psi to show a liner seal leak in my Dad’s A. 

Using straight water would promote rust and sludge in the system.

BTW, antifreeze will leak  where water will not.

OK guys I'll see what I can do about a test, one thing we already know is there is a leak, making it's way to the oil pan?? A test could pin point the problem or it's up in the head where it cant be seen. I thought water with this weeper leak it's heavier to seal with this summer run and will separate to the bottom of the oil pan and give me a reading with a petcock drain.