1086 lights not working

hey guys working on the 1086 getting it set up to spray the lights quit working last fall started messing with them tonight the flashers work on the first click and the second click but no head lights the third click no feild lights i checked fuses they are good its hot on both sides so power is going through them i dont know if this is the right way but i unplugged the switch found the hot spades bottom one and top right corner put a wire in and touched the other spades and nothing. im not sure what else to check i dont have another switch to try either

10 hours ago, IH1066 BlackStripe said:

hey guys working on the 1086 getting it set up to spray the lights quit working last fall started messing with them tonight the flashers work on the first click and the second click but no head lights the third click no feild lights i checked fuses they are good its hot on both sides so power is going through them i dont know if this is the right way but i unplugged the switch found the hot spades bottom one and top right corner put a wire in and touched the other spades and nothing. im not sure what else to check i dont have another switch to try either

Just to clarify, you jumpered across the switch and the lights still don’t work?

If you have juice going to the switch to the terminal that feeds the switch with current, the switch is bad. If you don't, run a hot test wire from a hot terminal somewhere. Fuse box area or the battery even.  Leave all the wires connected on the switch and touch your hot wire with the terminal on the switch that is supposed to feed the switch with current and see if you have any lights. If you still don't have lights, unplug the terminals from the switch that feed the lights current that aren't working and put your hot wire to them and see what happens. If they work then, throw the fuse panel away and put a new one in. They're a B to change, but better than hacking wires and making a mess with circuit breakers. I've had a light problem on the anteater and a couple 86s and the new fuse panel fixed it even though I couldn't visually see anything wrong with it. Just trying to help you figure out what's wrong before you go out and buy a new switch and install and find out it's not the problem.

Either the switch or corroded fuse block.  Check the green wire connected to that space connector.  My fuse block was rusty and corroded.  High resistance = fire and wiring issues... 🙄

20190427_101152.jpg

20190427_101147.jpg

It always amazes me when I open up our 56/66 series tractors behind the dash.  Some stuff was really never engineered well in terms of wiring placement. I always thought about that when I had something hooked up to something that vibrates, like a stalk chopper.

Sounds like he correctly jumpered across the switch to me, taking the Hot wire that feeds the switch and connecting it to all of the switch output leads (the wires that go to the lights). Only better way would be to leave the switch hot feed wire plugged into the switch, (he said it has power) and testing each terminal with a test light as the switch was turned through all positions.  According up what he said, that should show the switch to be functioning correctly, and point to separate  wiring issues out in the field and road lights.  

Did you check at the lights themselves  s for power? Maybe you just have a bunch of blown bulbs. 

Bad ground(s). When lights start acting like that, the power is backfeeding through  other bulbs to get to ground.

This is why you'll see a pickup truck for example with one dim headlight. That headlight has no ground and the power is backfeeding through the high beam filament to get to ground.

Better than mine. When Dad pulled up the deck plate to fix the range shift linkage, we found all the light grounds taped off.