JBull

175C losing trans fluid into crankcase

I've checked the drain line as well as the vent and they seem fine. I can freely blow air through each of them. Torque converter seals?? That's the only other thing I can come up with. I'm fairly new to this machine and I'm just using it on the farm every now and then. If motor oil would work in the transmission I'd just drain some oil out of the engine periodically and not worry about it. Anyone know of an oil that's suitable for both the engine and transmission?

I think you could use 10W oil in the transmission, would be pretty light for engine this time of year. I don't know if you could use heavier oil in trany or not.

DWF

3 hours ago, DWF said:

I think you could use 10W oil in the transmission, would be pretty light for engine this time of year. I don't know if you could use heavier oil in trany or not.

DWF

When I went to the local komatsu dealer to get transmission oil, they sold me TO-30. They it was fine to use and was half the price of the 10w hy-trans. Not sure if TO-30 would be fine in the engine or not though.

Be more likely to be a rear crankshaft seal would it not, its about the only place where the transmission oil  could get to the engine oil, behind the flywheel and thru the seal.

• Rear crank seal, not to bad to replace, pull the torque converter and it's right there, you don't want trans fluid in the motor, way to much foreign material.  New seal will be like a speedy-sleeve with a metal ring for the crank.  

8 hours ago, R.D.G said:

Be more likely to be a rear crankshaft seal would it not, its about the only place where the transmission oil  could get to the engine oil, behind the flywheel and thru the seal.

I figured the oil was passing through the rear main seal but was thinking it was because the torque converter seals were bad and letting too much escape into the TC housing. So much that it couldn't drain back into the transmission fast enough so it's forcing it through the rear main seal. However, it should be a double lipped seal unless when the reman engine was installed in the mid 90's, they didn't use the right seal. That could explain why the new undercarriage that was installed at the same time, still has around 80% still left on it. They might have just quit using it because of this problem. Just a theory. BTW, I just bought this machine in January this year.

JBull,  I think you have it figured out.  Trans oil to engine was not a common problem but if converter is flooding the bell housing it could happen.  No other connection that I can remember.  I would definitely reseal the converter while it is out for the seal replacement.  Make sure the elbow at the bell housing for the drain back is not clogged with debris which has happened.  There is a special tool needed to install the speedi sleeve on the crankshaft.

Good luck and welcome aboard

Dennis

15 minutes ago, farmalldr said:

JBull,  I think you have it figured out.  Trans oil to engine was not a common problem but if converter is flooding the bell housing it could happen.  No other connection that I can remember.  I would definitely reseal the converter while it is out for the seal replacement.  Make sure the elbow at the bell housing for the drain back is not clogged with debris which has happened.  There is a special tool needed to install the speedi sleeve on the crankshaft.

Good luck and welcome aboard

Dennis

Thanks to all for the help. Glad to be part of this forum!

If you want to see a picture of the seal responsible, go to the Heavy Equipment Forum "Track Loaders", Thread Page #11.  Look for "My First Track Loader by Boone".  The pictures are on Page 9 of his thread.   Looks like he had a hard time figuring out which seal to use.  Good info for 175C users!  

• Thanks 1