Sign in to follow this  

Another new automotive refrigerant again?

Been hearing lately of the new vehicles coming out with a new R1234 refrigerant instead of R134. Just wondering if new ag machinery has started using it too? What will this do for all the 134 vehicles out there now? They guys I talked to said the 1234 wont work in older 134 systems. Guys at carquest told me the new stuff is way expensove too. Instead of 7 bucks a can its more like 40 or 50 bucks a can.  Anyone else know more about this than I do? Hope its not like the R12 scam.

Has been fazed in since 2014 to be mandatory in new autos by 2020.  Has been around since 2000 I understand.  Found on internet so must be true.  No mention on agriculture equipment that I saw. 

Looks like the full designation of the new stuff is R-1234yf and yeah it's expensive. I suspect a lot of that has to do with it being new and possibly patented. Once production ramps up it should be cheaper, maybe not $7 a can, but certainly less than $37.50 a can, which is what I found in a quick google search.

The cost of it should be an incentive to not just keep dumping can after can after can into a leaking system, but instead, FIX the system properly before adding refrigerant. When the can is only $7, you live with the leak if enough of the stuff stays in through the summer. When the can is $37.50, you think twice about finding and fixing the leak.

• Like 1

Been on ram trucks for a while. Everyone uses it now. Tiny little compressor. Nice and expensive. Enjoy

Hadn't heard about this yet. What is the reason for the change this time? I thought 134 was suppose to be so much better for the envioronment? At least compared to r12

I've been told by the guy that runs the fancy machine here at work that the machine we have will not work with the new stuff, just another way to get into your pocket all the way around

• Like 1

Thing I dont understand is they always told us R-12 was heavier than air. So how could it be ozone depleting if it dont rise up in the air? Seems a bit like the Cow fart thing to me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 1967806 said:

Thing I dont understand is they always told us R-12 was heavier than air. So how could it be ozone depleting if it dont rise up in the air? Seems a bit like the Cow fart thing to me.

In a closed room R12 will indeed settle to the floor but the atmosphere is not a closed room it's a giant mixing bowl with vertical and horizontal winds and 1,800 thunderstorms a day that are capable of moving dirt high into the Stratosphere. Aircraft and balloons with measuring equipment find fluorocarbons all the way to the Ionosphere. 

• Like 1

I expect it will cost more to implement and not work as well. Same as every replacement for R12 so for.

That darn refrigerant stuff is the "pitts to say the least"!  My B I L who farms up close to Denver had his 4450 start not cooling very good and it had the old R 12 and he called up John Deere and they came out and put R134 on top of the R12 and it worked fine. No problems. Furthermore the mechanic said that refrigerant deal was a really big scam to sell stuff. The last time i talked to my BIL the tractor was still cooling good. I used all my R12 up and had 1 can left over and had a heck of a time finding someone who needed it. I just tried to give it away. Everyone had made the switch to R134. Now switch again? 

It’s just another scam , to steal money .

r-22 is going away too . What a bunch of crap . Organized crime at its finest .

with the help of the biggest criminals , the Government.

• Sad 2

Only new vehicles are being equipped - no mandated change or retiring of R134A. No sense in starting rumors.

Everything I now own is 134 but the older stuff I converted worked just as well on 134 as on 12. I've heard stories but never experience a problem. I wonder if those folks had a very tired system or clogged orifice or expansion valve? Seems easy to blame every thing on what was the new stuff. If you're running something that originally came with R12 it's getting a little long in the tooth.

Of course then there's the guys who run propane!

Actually appliance are running R600 in them, which is butane. The charge is about 2-5 oz which takes away the danger of fire and explosion.  R134 carries the same fire risk as R600. I am interested what the comparison is to R600 and the new automotive blend mentioned above.