My new to me IH 71 three wire baler arrived !

1 hour ago, Tonyinca said:

Was getting concerned , hitting road blocks on auger and drive belt 

well finally found a OEM match for auger belt price about what I thought it would be .However, drive belt was a different case 

needed 16 groves of certain size and 159” long . 
finally found a source belt make is Jason made in E U . Matches OEM to a T ,   900.00+ with shipping & tax . 
needless to say I was little taken back as I only paid 400.00 for the baler. Lol lol

wanting to restore to original got to pay the piper.

now to chase down extended link chains and sprockets . 
hitting road blocks on rubber bumpers and plastic sheaves for bale weight cable ,Looks like Mc Master -Carr is my best bet.

pic of the precious belts 

Tony 

726F0457-5C82-4DF3-9CE4-0AB06A552394.jpeg

7F00E8F5-2BD1-46B5-B295-73260BEECCEA.jpeg

AB0A2CFB-10FF-4066-9A58-EED834121087.jpeg

I would give Bearing Distributors a try on Belt . At least a call. They use to have a belt shop in Columbus that could make all kinds of endless belts for us , me ,even on high presses from Switzerland at a huge savings ,for that took a designed preload .they are as wide as that belt I see. 

12 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

Thanks for heads up !

Will try

Tony

Here’s there link to poly v which what I think might need ,sorry if I’m wrong 

https://www.bdiexpress.com/us/en/search?q=&c=DriveBeltsPoly-V

• Thanks 1

My memory is a chancy thing,but back in the 80's I think I looked for a belt like that and I think there was a place in Fresno that made some belts. I see adds for California Rubber Products ? or something near that in AG Source.

The old NH 907 swather used a belt like that for header drive. And I think the local big hay guys got them at the place in Fresno,but I got one for more money from the local NH dealer before I knew better.? But I could have 2 or 3 fix it projects mixed together and all wrong. Dealer was not shy to sell aftermarket parts for OEM prices.

Hopefully the information from 560 Dennis will lead to that type belt at a better price. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

She is finally blasted and primered.

all new plunger rails have been made .

i have sourced rubber bumpers used for needle and auger stops and pulleys needed for bale weight indicator. 
fly wheel is back from machine shop new bushing and key way . Also new axle and bushing on pickup gauge wheel.

machine shop will make the stainless pulleys needed for needles , six total,

still having small parts blasted and repaired . Still waiting on sheet metal , it’s made he just needs to punch holes.

we have started to source paint and supplies .

tony 

B241686F-942A-4BE5-9FE6-8CCD4A8DF43C.jpeg

0FDB8D13-0C25-4BA0-A67C-44C9E6461A29.jpeg

8F7B6AA2-8114-4814-8667-74EAFA737DAE.jpeg

141041E9-6C82-4363-933B-80D39AB77900.jpeg

86B0D04E-DC6C-4AA4-8237-8F0D4D2B30E8.jpeg

37809B95-6749-48D4-8449-7FF4A6E97133.jpeg

17FA85A8-F6EC-4BF1-9035-036217E8512C.jpeg

32A650BD-97D8-4E50-8730-126B8A3C4313.jpeg

01F1CD84-8131-4230-8D2B-59D83CDED0A6.jpeg

• Like 6

Most of sheet metal is remade as of  11/8/19

here we have it mounted on our donor baler as a template . Will be removing it after making sure all holes match and fit is like original , then sending to blast then painter. The outside panel was repaired all rust cut out as it had to many divots to match.the cancer was all at bottom attachment .
still need two shields made and the rear bale shoot partially remade 

tony

0E0052D9-5BE7-4AA9-BFBD-F80618F1CA37.jpeg

B105658F-FB38-49C2-86AE-2BF382395BE8.jpeg

9AAC5A27-A4A6-4A7C-AF70-0E1BAAE74269.jpeg

CC198325-F14C-4708-B59E-27D031D32EEB.jpeg

711640CD-C505-4361-9456-2ECF34B3F58A.jpeg

96BFCF17-1C01-45CF-8468-60554D3201C2.jpeg

DDAD5F10-4423-41D8-9CFC-23AFABE8225B.jpeg

• Like 1

Fellas being baler is 10 1/2 feet wide , and width  is at outside of tires . I am working on building a Electric hydraulic lift to power small set of gauge wheels to roll around of 80 inches apart so I can let those little gauge wheels down and load baler on my gooseneck and just take heavy side tire off and be legal on road . And baler would travel on gauge wheels while on gooseneck .
don’t know if me and welder can pull this off but we are going to give it **** . 
Don’t want to tow it to shows, rather haul it.

ill post as we get started on this idea 

tony

• Like 3

Tony, in the pics that you showed us yesterday I can easily see the beauty in the end result of this project.... great job sir!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2019 at 6:36 PM, IHhogfarmer said:

Tony, in the pics that you showed us yesterday I can easily see the beauty in the end result of this project.... great job sir!!

Thank you for you confidence .

its being a little challenging but I think I can make , rebuild , or source all of the parts needed to get her baling again .

painting may be real slow , because my painter , David is having to provide 24/7 care for a family member that has had two strokes

told him I had time and I would wait on him. In meantime we will get her all together and check her out , then paint 

Tony

• Like 2

11/13/19 

Little things take time . 
today we replaced bearings , John rebuilt bale pressure hydraulic pump and cylinder press. 

Welded mounted new jack on the original jack plate . 
After blasting we found few pieces that needed removal because of caked rust between pieces . 
Early in this process I purchased a used good running Wisc. VG4D, as mine was stuck and left with no oil cap so water, rust and mud dobbers took over engine . Lol . 
Today, I set up engine to make sure deminsions were same as mine and see what if any modifications were needed.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that this engine is a  2004 model ,Did not think they still made the VG4D flat head in 2004. Only road block is that air cleaner is mounted on opposite side of original . I think if I swap flywheel sheet metal with original engine , my problem will be solved. Also this one has larger and paper air filter and original has oil bath air cleaner.  Hard to realize  original VG4D on here is 56 years old and this one is only 15 years old yet looks and dimensions, horse power, are same ,other then air cleaner, and starter.

few pic. 
tony   

64575CB0-59E8-4FC5-B471-7E8A02A6A763.jpeg

D7B9FE04-F669-4905-86CA-C558422E225B.jpeg

A3359C5F-B137-40DC-9E73-7595E258E990.jpeg

C17B24F5-5842-4E8D-878A-D1A5130F2D8A.jpeg

67A1E0C9-A390-4891-B45B-27B592EAC3E9.jpeg

878AD74F-BC2E-47B1-BA6A-1F26D8383754.jpeg

05474E5D-CBF3-4732-A287-F0D189B1D0E7.jpeg

C0755B11-95DA-491E-82E2-17436522E3D3.jpeg

C8A88EF8-8811-4408-B90B-39FA1EBD4BBC.jpeg

• Like 1

Tony, l'm amazed at the amount of skill that your sheet metal man has. Lot of guys can bend metal but to find one that can take on a project like yours is what l'm talking about. Guess what l'm trying to say is that a lot of them would do the work to restore an old car or truck, but not many would take on restoring a hay baler. l hope you understand what l'm trying to say.....lol

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

Tony, l'm amazed at the amount of skill that your sheet metal man has. Lot of guys can bend metal but to find one that can take on a project like yours is what l'm talking about. Guess what l'm trying to say is that a lot of them would do the work to restore an old car or truck, but not many would take on restoring a hay baler. l hope you understand what l'm trying to say.....lol

I know what your saying , Cause I thought same thing !

He is out in the country near a little town South of me about 12 miles , you would not look over or think there is welder there .

He is about 45 years old bought this place, about five acres and is building his own shop between jobs. He is from Mexico ,legal, has contract from several Farm chemical companies to maintain their stainless  tanker trucks .  He has four metal bending machines in different out buildings until his shop work area is done.

He is a two man show , says he has so much work but can't find help , says , they apply saying they can weld but they have no idea.lol.

When I took the above metal pic , He had TEN tankers scattered on his property waiting for repairs along with he was building hydraulic ramps for a large trailer, and repairing hydraulic on a side dump set of doubles.

I was skeptical when I approached him , thinking ,I doubt He can do it , when I saw this work I was like a little kid at Disneyland seeing Mickey Mouse for first time.lol

He is now working on Auger belt cover shield and Chain needle drive shield and  making the metal involved on the bale shoot.

After which between he and I we will try to devise a way to load on gauge wheels so I can load and haul on my gooseneck and be with in 102 inches .

I am amazed by Margarito , metal, David painter, Robert buff & chrome, Cap's Blasting, and John my helper in shop , without these men I my projects would not be done . 

Tony

• Like 1

Tony,  l bet your sheet metal guy could do wonders on a restoration of a stripper like this one. l would've gave a my eye teeth for the 560 LP my Dad had and a stripper like this one to restore and occasionally use during cotton harvest. But the guy sold the 560 and the stripper sold at a auction. Can't really complain though cause he offer it to me but l didn't have extra cash and the stripper sold at a auction. Plus l'd have to find a cotton trailer to pull behind it....plus find a gin that still has a suction shed....now l see what you mean when you say it's a never ending thing restoring tractors....lol

IH elevator stripper.JPG

008.JPG

• Like 2

Yes , This restoration thing can suck one in and suck every dollar out of our pocket book .

It just evolves when your not paying attention .lol.

That 560 l.p. pic above never gets old . Its a classic just like it is in picture.

Tony

• Like 1

Feeling pretty good ,as it pertains to parts ,etc on this baler.

So far have been able to order all bearings I need , all bearings so far are Temkin's, Ordered all the belts, albeit main drive belt was very expensive but its identical to oem.

Have all sprockets ordered and available but one . The one seems to have been I.H. made. However I have two spares from donors I can make work.

The steel line from hydraulic pump to press cylinder ,Ive decided that a rubber 4000 lbs hose will make a cleaner application . I found a hydraulic pressure gauge similar to old

I have only one set of three needles, the donors were either gone or bent beyond use. I am thinking of having another set made if machine shop will do it .

Needle stainless wire rollers are nowhere to be found so machine shop is making two sets. Press cylinder is being machined . Hydraulic pump has been gone through we replaced all orings and seals , actually it looked good inside and oil looked kinda fresh and smelled like hy-tran.

Most all parts have been Blasted and primered, Waiting on new subfloor being made .

Next big job is evaluating all the bull gears ,this one has few damaged spots on couple of gears , may have to tear down a donor set and replace with all new bearings.

The next big job is going to be to make a good pickup reel from three . they all have tremendous wear and damage. they are my next big concern.

I think our plan of attack now is make sure bull gears and bearings are all good , then replace floor and subfloor , then plunger rails , plunger has been through welding shop so its ready to go back in, get bearings and sprockets attached then start on knotter . We have not touched knotters yet but I think we'll work knotters in with pick up reel as I am sure Ill be visiting machine shop for them .  

Then comes the Engine hoping I can find a L.P. tank that will have the 60's look and be able to fit to where fuel tank was and that engine runs well . As you may remember I purchased this engine used it appears like new and owner assured that it is in excellent condition, but one never knows until we start it !. Fingers crossed .lol

Just thinking out loud trying to visualize what needs and order we need to move in as we begin going back together.

Tony

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

It’s looking great Tony!!! Your sheet metal guy does incredible work!!! 

Thank You , I was really surprised. Had never saw any of His work, was not even aware of He being there .I would drive past his place in my travels sometimes, Its a very low key non descript shop ,two man show , slow but so far great .

He is in process of re- making metal on the bale shoot to make bales go flat or on side for bale wagon.

Also making the auger belt shield along with the knotter drive chain shield.

Tony,  

11/21/19!

Therapy Thursday , tending to little items that need repaired or renewed before going back together . 
floor is finished and ready to install , however . Baler frame needs some wire brushing and wire Guides need revamping before we tackle floor 

We spent the day replacing Both wheel bearings , chasing fine threads on hubs,  removing bearings on main idler pulley, redoing wire slack arms,

pulling twisted needles from donor so I can have two sets of needles,  Going though replacing existing bolts that were replaced at one time of odd sizes,  Sent plunger knives out for rebuilding and sharpening..

Bringing back blasted parts and going through them with fine tooth comb looking for cracks , wear spots that need building , etc.

Hopefully Tuesday we will set floor and sub floor back in and start replacing plunger rails.

tony

6F7C8BB7-AE4D-462B-8BC8-2DD837770B4D.jpeg

35DAC56C-E5A6-4C58-8859-B8CBD1E35AD2.jpeg

71BFA2DE-A035-452E-BACB-6ADDD16D9607.jpeg

202B6AAF-A9D8-4364-BEB7-B31961F3F560.jpeg

72BA1EF2-3657-437F-AB9F-72B21F7D69C9.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

Your therapy Thursday looked like it was better than mine!!! 
I got to replace and air bag on my grain trailer, while it was loaded, and after running all day on salt covered roads! Let me tell ya, I was a little salty when I hit the shower at 10!! ?

Sorry ! That sounds like real work and of course a little salt added to the wound.

Hopefully Friday will be better.

Tony 

8 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

Your therapy Thursday looked like it was better than mine!!! 
I got to replace and air bag on my grain trailer, while it was loaded, and after running all day on salt covered roads! Let me tell ya, I was a little salty when I hit the shower at 10!! ?

At least when you scrape your knuckles, you sure know it quick lol

• Haha 1

11/26/19

Therapy Tuesday this week.

we sure ran into major set back today , However, thank God we did or it would have been much worse later.

the bull gear housing looked good initially  but today before buttoning it up John & I gave it final inspection . What we found was that the gear housing haveing set who knows how long without oil had hidden damage on bull gear and all bearings in side had there rough spots.

We removed the hole housing and plunger crank from machine .

We inspected the  donor and everything looks fresh and drenched in gear oil

so next week the donor gear box will be removed sent to machine shop as there are six  bearings that need pressed off  ,  blast housing , then all new bearings pressed in. Even tough donor crank moves freely being we will have housing off to transfer , I cannot justify not replacing all bearings at this time.

At this point I think  every stone has been turned on this machine , we think , keep finding more stones to turn it seems . Lol

Last pic is  of the needle wire feed rollers that machine shop made for me , three of each made of stainless steel.

Happy Thanksgiving Guys ! 

tony

6FA5B4C6-7263-47D9-9568-4BBF7A29EEB4.jpeg

074C2673-9CC1-4AB8-AE5D-7C4202A49186.jpeg

2838DF39-0C31-48BE-B04F-34203B53492A.jpeg

250C2ABB-1475-4E1E-9E51-9529831796AB.jpeg

388CA7E7-AF06-4BF5-8D05-96AFCE0ED88D.jpeg

1FAD585A-45D8-442A-BA4D-3BDF2FE02BEB.jpeg

• Like 3