My new to me IH 71 three wire baler arrived !

I can’t imagine bales that heavy. I’m a twine guy. Never had the pleasure of working up to the varsity of wire . 

It think the football coach would enjoyed having  a linemen that chuck them all summer . Amen 

50 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

I can’t imagine bales that heavy. I’m a twine guy. Never had the pleasure of working up to the varsity of wire . 

It think the football coach would enjoyed having  a linemen that chuck them all summer . Amen 

Yes we had two linemen that their summer job was road siding ,they bought a old bob tail and they would hire fellow classmates , that was in 63 64 today all the laws would crucify them.

tony

Baler therapy Wedensday 8/7/19 

Continued stripping her down .

Auger off , feeder fork off , last big sheet metal side panel off , good thing found bid rust cancer hidden about to break through.

took sheet metal to a sheet metal guy will see if he can roll new panels . 

Met with David my painter to find best way to handle painting . 

Met with blaster as best way to blast and prime. 

John and I inspected and decided on a plan to tackle parts balers . 

Feeling a little better about the path forward. With tractors we had a routine and knew how to proceed . This thing is overwhelming me with parts and bolts . 

Thank God I have two parts machines one for parts and other for template . Lol

need to find a code for this IH industrial yellow paint , if anyone can help , I would much appreciated. 

Thank you , 

tony

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 8/7/2019 at 9:45 PM, exSW said:

"Federal Yellow"? Same as the Cub Cadets and Industrial. Maybe. I think.

I think so too.

Little more progress . 

Original baler all stripped down will send it off to sheet metal guy to use for template.

in meantime we started on the better of the donors , we think plunger and chamber is in better shape on this one . 

So we started the arduous task of stripping this one down for inspection , so far chamber and sprokets all look much better here , this baler has had less hay through it by what we are seeing.

while we work on second one welder can be using first one as template for sheet metal and several things that both would need .

first two pic original ready to be towed to welding shop . 

Next two is the donor we started on by noon today

Was arduous doing this all over again . Lol

tony

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good, I’ll be watching to see it go back together. 

I finally got around to looking at what I hadn’t seen here, didn’t know that you got two other 71’s Tony, congrats on those! 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have not posted in awhile because we are still tearing down the first donner baler.

Very tedious working under Neath, breaking and torching tens of bolts on floor and subfloor of chamber, to be able to remove plunger.

The floor on this one looked great from top but the rust build up in-between the two floors make moving plunger impossible .

Was wanting to strip both down completely so we can decided which is the better frame and have the better parts available from each as we go back

This donner appears to have had not many tons through it as all gears and bushing seem like new , BUT the body is in rough shape may have been sprung don't know yet.

The original baler moving parts are  wore out but the body looks mint.. 

So once this plunger is out and we wash it the sixth time and do our measurements then we'll decide which gets built up.  The second donor or third baler looks roughest of all and WE do not want to touch it because it will be used as our template because there is no way we can remember where all the trinkets'  go and all the different size and style bolts we have cut off.  I have swept so many half bolts nuts washers and I keep finding more .lol.

This tear down process has been more cumbersome then I envisioned but John and I are determined to get one of these, girls, baling and looking new again.

Tony  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

9/26/19 

two weeks off for harvest back at it today .

great day got plunger out ! I weighed 28 lbs of what looked like coal in between sub floor and floor , we had to cut sub floor in pieces and chip rust and petrified debris out from under plunger . 

Finally out , and floor is out , despite the debris it looks lot better then original  baler , plunger looks better and overall frame looks better .Lot less wear .

So , executive decision was made , First Navada Donor will be the restored one ,original Cali . Baler , will become the donor .

The front section was badly welded and not good so removed and will replace with donor and some machine work . 

The rust picture, that is just a sample amount left on floor when removed . I still need to chip rest of it out before going to blaster. I dumped 28 lbs of that rust debris all from in the chamber , making it a three day process to remove plunger and I bent the plunger pitman in process , thank God I have two more but one has terrible weld on it so down to One. Lol

Pictures of today’s work .   BTW two sodas at 3pm in 1st pic , however , the Bud started to flow at 5 . lol.

tony

7D5810B1-60EB-416A-807C-41059FE199CD.jpeg

AEFFBFC6-A243-4B53-8829-8168132B12F1.jpeg

9393A0F6-AE59-4399-90E3-6D8547B3FAEF.jpeg

E7631A69-B60B-44F9-90AE-944C705D7AFC.jpeg

28BE9B61-0B52-439B-A81D-2A60781D9F51.jpeg

E6AAE06C-DAA3-4C20-9BAC-EB85296EC09A.jpeg

3BA57095-3466-4044-B099-012F2CEAACEF.jpeg

FF3A4A58-5EBD-498A-B2E8-CF42EB54008C.jpeg

83DAC226-DBB3-4EB6-825E-842BB985E01A.jpeg

C8178E34-F3E6-4427-A64C-3FF64BE20654.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that two balers are stripped down 

sifting though parts identifying which needs attention and which are better to use 

picture of third load of smaller items headed to blaster . 

I am still working on main body getting ready for blaster. Have few items at welding shop and sheet metal man call to say he has sheet metal done but needs me to confirm holes . 

Getting exciting now hopefully we can start building instead of tear down 

few pics

tony

45241E8B-2E99-4BB7-89E9-AADC76B1AFB6.jpeg

F38CE95F-D1B6-4A49-9B22-2D94354B52FE.jpeg

DF8B6FDB-6579-4C03-984B-72E4F218FBE6.jpeg

7EDB8CDD-A076-4B61-BCA4-F352D72B6392.jpeg

2156041A-BC48-4E4C-B517-8E7C03D210C9.jpeg

16BD5B36-818E-4068-88F4-CEB3EE73D167.jpeg

6445C594-ED82-49DA-ABE8-35BDF2368F31.jpeg

8688436B-54C1-403C-9173-CFCD1D640921.jpeg

On 10/8/2019 at 9:12 PM, Tonyinca said:

This is my private hay baler salvage yard in my backyard ! 

So far my wife has not complained , YET!

tony

9065023F-EFAF-43B3-8558-A2952544FEFB.jpeg

71D8C750-573D-445D-A414-C58941233881.jpeg

55FD531E-40AE-4185-B9F6-D63DD730F756.jpeg

She has no reason to complain, it’s contained in one spot, not scattered across the whole property, and not in the house. 

When I was buying parts and pieces for my narrow front 1066, things found their way into the house so I could work on them at night, and spend time with the Mrs. 

Lookin good Tony, can’t wait to see it come back together!!??????

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

She has no reason to complain, it’s contained in one spot, not scattered across the whole property, and not in the house. 

When I was buying parts and pieces for my narrow front 1066, things found their way into the house so I could work on them at night, and spend time with the Mrs. 

Thank you , I am excited to start back.

sheet metal pieces being made.

hauling all off pieces to blaster

waiting to repair hitch and Bush hitch pivot and position holes, then the main frame will visit the blaster.

parts are creeping toward the house but have not made it inside yet .lol lol

tony

16 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

"But Dear,I have to do it in the house. That's where the Ultra Sonic Cleaner is".

I've been known to assemble small gas engines in my home office.

• Like 1

Finally starting to blast and primer and now will begin going through parts to find repairs needed , etc 

tomorrow , John & I will be going through next crop of parts for blaster and for machine shop . 
Hope to start on pickup reel see what we have along with auger etc.

few pic

tony

D5B38B89-23A7-4333-BE63-B0938ABBC945.jpeg

C08ABAD6-7540-40F1-96A9-8892E454A2A2.jpeg

72DEF7B5-F00E-4776-B195-8D654FEF8316.jpeg

89FF5E4B-D182-4DF2-8BE4-5AC75AB75D8B.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1932TracTractor said:

That thing is a monster

Yes , it’s made very heavy. 
I operated when I was young did NOT notice the heavy ness till now 50 years later . Lol

tony

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:34 AM, Diesel Doctor said:

How do  you put that back together?

One piece a a time.....................

Well D. Doctor , Wondering same thing !.lol.

Studying every piece we pull off ,  Have two parts book and OP. manual to follow , and have one complete donor that will be kept just for a template.

Counting on the fact that I ran one from age 18 to age 28 and hope my young brain retained some of that learning. You know, they say with Alzheimer's , You recall things from young age and forget recent things . LOL, LOL. 45 years ago. lol.

John my helper ran many balers in his career and he says small squares are basically all the same , so, He is confident.

My worry is small specialize parts or NLA for knotters and needles and I will have to be resourceful .

The donors all have needles & knotters damage of some sort.

But I enjoy surfing internet trying to find items that will work.

Tony 

• Like 1

Completed front . 
new bushing welded in pivot hole 

and back adjustment holes 

and new ball hitch welded on .

this deviates from original but I think safer for road travel 

little more strip down before going to blaster.

plunger at welding shop getting new rails made , new pitman pin , subfloor getting made

tony 

38DE38C2-93DF-465C-BBB6-7893C0CB4059.jpeg

31B0BAF9-2FC6-407C-8C13-02DA59D69648.jpeg

0CC7707C-2EB6-46DD-90E3-4606E3A790B1.jpeg

• Like 4

On 8/5/2019 at 11:44 PM, exSW said:

Here ya go Tony, 56w. And it is pretty.

Got baler music ? there boy !, started dancing in my recliner 

• Like 1

10/24/19

Baler stripped down more and prepped for blaster today along with many other parts

parts are scattered everywhere !

some in Tulare at welding shop, Tin work at nearby community of Caruthers, others at machine shop in town. 
I sourced the Auger belt and think I have found a new drive belt to match o.e.m.

john going through hydraulic pump and piston . 
I still have many parts to source .

tony

• Like 3

Was getting concerned , hitting road blocks on auger and drive belt 

well finally found a OEM match for auger belt price about what I thought it would be .However, drive belt was a different case 

needed 16 groves of certain size and 159” long . 
finally found a source belt make is Jason made in E U . Matches OEM to a T ,   900.00+ with shipping & tax . 
needless to say I was little taken back as I only paid 400.00 for the baler. Lol lol

wanting to restore to original got to pay the piper.

now to chase down extended link chains and sprockets . 
hitting road blocks on rubber bumpers and plastic sheaves for bale weight cable ,Looks like Mc Master -Carr is my best bet.

pic of the precious belts 

Tony 

726F0457-5C82-4DF3-9CE4-0AB06A552394.jpeg

7F00E8F5-2BD1-46B5-B295-73260BEECCEA.jpeg

AB0A2CFB-10FF-4066-9A58-EED834121087.jpeg