9 hours ago, RBootsMI said:

So where would you get a spool of wire that would fit and work correctly in a baler now days? 

Ross

Good Question ! 

I have three new spools which should be enough for what I want to do with this one and I have two new spools for the 55W.

I am confident that its still available Just have not researched.

Tony

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys back in the 60's IH came out with this heavy weight for what they called the Calif. commercial operator  my Dad bought one new in 63 and we baled with it till 1974when I bought my first 290

Here is the correct one 😊

3/31/21  was hoping to have great needle news but another minor set back .  I was fat,  dumb , and sassy thinking I had two sets of three needles. One set was perfect never been hurt and the ot

Posted Images

Couple years ago baling wire was still available at Tractor Supply. Not the quality of 40 years ago but it still worked. 

Jerry

• Like 1

Well hopefully we have started Baler restoration therapy.

for several months been sourcing parts etc 

decided to take a chance on a late model used VG4D2 on propane instead of rebuilding original , if not I'll have parts for my original. 

Should arrive Friday from Mesa Arizona. 

Today I and a friend John Domingez who ran many balers in his career started to dismantle knotters for repairs and making room to remove plunger . 

Plunger only goes a short distance as floor is wore and rust has built under to swell the travel area  . Hay  was left in chamber for many years. 

So been washing and chipping rust crusts

next baler day we will pull plunger .

so far a fun project ! Especially since my Nieghbor just bought a Oliver 101 three wire baler and I believe they were built same time frame as IH 71 baler 

Showing  these two together Should attract a lot of conversation.

tony 

few pics of today

I

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Looking good you are progressing.?

I stumbled across a related  piece of equipment every modern 1963 hay farmer wanted. So I had to haul it home cause my cousin was cleaning up and moving. Now I need to get pictures and see if the brand name tag is on this nice side hay loader to get all your bales out of the field. I think he only used it with a IH truck.

• Like 2

Such a cool project. With the advent of Accumagrapples I've been keeping and eye out for a high capacity square baler without a kicker. Saw a 444 Allis advertised the other day. Would look good behind the 7010. Good thing it was 7-8 hours away.

• Like 1

Little more progress today Friday 9th 

we got the plunger out , quite a job as the chamber floor is pretty rough

pulled the pickup off got her up on higher stands for  creeper work now

getting bolts off of chamber bottom.

i purchased a late model VG4D on LP , it arrived today from Arizona and looks great 

I am leaning on putting this girl on LP if I can find appropriate tank .

many guys in the day had their balers on LP

my helper is John Dominguez from Tulare our baler guru . Ran balers for years during his career as farmer and commercial hay business

update pics 

tonyTony

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

I am leaning on putting this girl on LP if I can find appropriate tank .

many guys in the day had their balers on LP

Tony, which would be the appropriate style and size of tank?

19 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Tony, which would be the appropriate style and size of tank?

Cannot tell you but if I see one I'll know it. 

Its been close to 30 years since I saw one.

tony

Tony - How do you keep so clean?  That is just down right sinful!  I would have a shirt like that dirty just watching tv!!!

jerry

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, SMOKER 1 said:

Tony - How do you keep so clean?  That is just down right sinful!  I would have a shirt like that dirty just watching tv!!!

jerry

I wear a napkin bib when I watch TV and eat anything !:lol:

BTW that pic was not at end of day .:)  Plus we have washed that stupid thing five times and its needing more washing:( No more washing now because its up on jack stands, plus I sweep floor under it twice a day so we don't squat and kneel on old half dry grease gobs.

Tony

Looking GOOD! Tony I'm like Smoker1, If I came down and walked around the baler once, I would walk out the door with at least half your dirt/grease attached to me!!!! Keep up the good work!!

• Thanks 1

I might be persuaded to let Tony's 1960's hay service have this device for what I paid for if I can use it  ? "if I need it real bad". And I would sure hope not too.

IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1250.JPG

• Like 3
8 hours ago, ray54 said:

I might be persuaded to let Tony's 1960's hay service have this device for what I paid for if I can use it  ? "if I need it real bad". And I would sure hope not too.

IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1250.JPG

That was a mainstay out here late 50's thru early 70's.

Many a family made a living with couple Bob tails and loaders  full time roadsiding. Especially if there were couple HS boys in family.

Few of fellas had wife drive truck while they tended to bales.

Tony 

What brand is that hay loader? I have what I think is an IH and it is similar but different. Mine is a single chain, and different and more substantial arms to guide the bale. Currently sitting in the weeds.

I was looking when I got the picture and I didn't even find where a tag had been. So I cannot even guess as to what brand. The double chain is for the bigger 3 string or wire bales. This one has been sitting for 20 years too. I just had to go 12 miles and haul it home. Just in such good shape I don't see any farmer welds. I have another one with the single chain and the height of it is fixed. Has a lot of get it going quick,pretty can happen another time kind of fixes. But it would not work on 3 string bales.

There is Gold in that high country !

Found these two #71's that were destined to the Steel mill.

Interesting Story,

Fella I bought them from said he has farmed hay all his life ,He is 91, His daughter runs the hay farm now.

Said ,he was delivering scrap to a mill in Utah ,saw these two sitting there in line for cutting up and he recognized the make and model and knew  not to many made, He said he knew that I.H. made them in Stockton ,Ca. because he had lived near by in Modesto ,Ca.

. He decided to save them, thinking someone may need them for parts , that was 10 years ago, He said, previous owner had kept one going  from the other and had parked them 10 years prior to him getting them

Hopefully both will find their way home here next week to start a donor program.

The high desert has preserved them with very little rust and the bale chambers were left clean . Mine is not too bad as rust is concerned but previous owner had left hay in chamber and its pretty scaly.  I am amazed at how well the paint has held up , These machines are 56 +or - years old  and do not look like repaints.

If one of these appear in better shape , mine may become the donor.

Tony

IMG_20190711_095422.jpg

IMG_20190711_095504 (1).jpg

IMG_20190711_095517.jpg

IMG_20190711_095535.jpg

IMG_20190711_095600.jpg

IMG_20190711_095621.jpg

• Like 4

What a score! But yu know now it will take longer to restore one...…. Cus You'll have to be running from baler to baler making sure you are going to use the best part!!!! What a delima, having three of everything to choose from!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!! Will be following closely.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Grumpy Gaby said:

What a score! But yu know now it will take longer to restore one...…. Cus You'll have to be running from baler to baler making sure you are going to use the best part!!!! What a delima, having three of everything to choose from!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!! Will be following closely.

Your right now we have three times the work and washing parts .  Hopefully , I can spin less time at a machine shop trying to duplicate gears etc.

This stuff has to be a labor of love ! Because I find myself saying what am I going to do with all this junk but at same time being excited like a kid going to Disnyland.

Tony

3 hours ago, exSW said:

Field of dreams for us in the rust belt. Wow!

I cannot believe how nice the paint and tin appear on the one that says International on back.

I am looking at the tin and the tying mechanism and salivating , it looks so good from here.

I have not seen them in person , He offered them to me for very little money and I bought them, So it will be a surprise when they arrive.

Tony

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Great score, Tony!  Too bad that neither of them has the LP tank you were looking for.  The search continues........

Yes , Gotta have something to continue the search.

I have a friend in propane business and I am confident that he'll come across something.

Tony

2 minutes ago, Tonyinca said:

I cannot believe how nice the paint and tin appear on the one that says International on back.

I am looking at the tin and the tying mechanism and salivating , it looks so good from here.

I have not seen them in person , He offered them to me for very little money and I bought them, So it will be a surprise when they arrive.

Tony

Aw Tony! That remark plus the Disnyland remark is what it's all about!!!!! The 91 year old, I'll Bet you made his day for needing those balers, and going to a "Ramos (sp?) restoration" had to be icing on the cake! That is another reason, to see the glow on someone else's face!!! ……… Ifn you really have to get rid of "junk" (also called someone else's pride and joy) you can always load up a load and take into the scraper, maybe get enough to buy a bottle of wine or two. 

• Like 1