My new to me IH 71 three wire baler arrived !

3/31/21 

was hoping to have great needle news but another minor set back . 
I was fat,  dumb , and sassy thinking I had two sets of three needles. One set was perfect never been hurt and the other set were bent but I had sent them out for straighten and looked perfect next to sound set .

Well, while putting new wire rollers on tips of good set , I notice a wire groove wore into needle . How I never saw this before is beyond me . , all thee good ones had the groove wore into their back body , so decide to go with second set! Well!, even though they look perfect , no way can we shim them up to where they need to be , every which way , they are sprung and lost their rigidity , original set sets perfect , so ,needles back to welding shop so a guy that knows what he is doing can lay a smooth hard metal bead and fill the grooves .

the pic of needle here,is the re straighten one ,it has no groove but you can see where welder needs to lay bead , two inches into that Valley and groove is about 12 inches long on each needle. Original needles are already heading to welder, forgot to get a pic .

On the bright side , 

I have feeder fork timed and operating. From last post patients and gentle persuasion got pinion in !
Have  drive belt adjusted and shield and guide on and have the , pickup cover rods on , ( that what book calls them ). Last pic .

So now waiting on pulley brake and needles. These restorations are a Hurry up and Wait process ! Needing to get to fine tuning and twisting process the suspense is getting to me . Lol lol.

BTW the ugly paint scraping on needle tie cradle was Done on purpose so clamps can be metal to metal , we'll touch up later .lol lol 

tony 

7393719A-551B-4018-805D-B59501F7C052.jpeg

A00E6EF3-AA0F-4327-82F9-A76E63774399.jpeg

ABE89C47-4FC9-41AA-85A7-333257F5BBCD.jpeg

31F991B3-D2C0-416D-8671-DC4E696413EC.jpeg

587BE464-E075-4A40-BD47-780EAE582CF5.jpeg

26F1BC96-A692-4B51-BC51-7D94D42BB116.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4/3/21

I had been dealing with some oil drips under machine coming from engine . 
I was reasonably sure it was coming from oil filter base but I  also was sick thinking it could be oil pan which would require lifting engine.

Yesterday drained oil changed out old base which was type with tube up center and replace from my newer donor engine the new style filter base that threads in center and no oil stick up center .

this morning filled with oil and new style filter and ran it about half hour and thank God it ended all leaks ! I dodged the bullet of not having to raise engine . Finally a great lucky break . Lol

tony 

6FB3CA75-8D19-44FD-87B0-31BF5CCC63FC.jpeg

• Like 9

On 4/4/2021 at 1:43 AM, Tonyinca said:

4/3/21

I had been dealing with some oil drips under machine coming from engine . 
I was reasonably sure it was coming from oil filter base but I  also was sick thinking it could be oil pan which would require lifting engine.

Yesterday drained oil changed out old base which was type with tube up center and replace from my newer donor engine the new style filter base that threads in center and no oil stick up center .

this morning filled with oil and new style filter and ran it about half hour and thank God it ended all leaks ! I dodged the bullet of not having to raise engine . Finally a great lucky brake . Lol

tony 

6FB3CA75-8D19-44FD-87B0-31BF5CCC63FC.jpeg

LOOKING GOOD TONY, REAL NICE

• Thanks 1

4/ 5/21

John and taking Easter break while waiting on welding shop ! 
Hope to be back on 4/14/21 with a good set of needles . 
If not John  and  I may go on a baling wire shopping trip . Lol Gotta think positive lol !

I am still shaking my head , “ How did I miss this problem on needles”? They could of had six months to repair needles , now I want them last week . Lol 

tony

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a couple of videos from Tony.

First the slow speed test.

and the full speed test 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4/14/21

Thank you BJ Kline for posting both videos!

Machine shop still not done with needles . 
today we tended to peripheral items .

we completed chamber tensioner settings , 

we primed hydraulic pump , ran into misplaced poppet valves . Went back into pump and found our mistake and pump and cylinder are working properly and no leaks .

we worked again on aligning drive  belt . 
we ran machine and cycled all systems but needles , cycled twisters . 
Ran machine at baling field speed . We are getting 68 strokes per minute on plunger . 
Book calls for 60 to 65 strokes p/m 68 will be fine .

all we are waiting on is one set of needles and a drive pulley brake . Both at same machine shop / welding shop.

will be purchasing baler wire soon 

thanks for following and watching two videos above.

tony 

• Like 8

l'm starting to get that "empty feeling" like l had when you finished the CalTex Girl 806 LP since you're almost done with the baler. Won't have any of your projects to look forward to except the Flatbed LP pickup. Maybe you can find some smaller projects that won't take as much time and effort to restore. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tony, that may be the most quiet, smoothest operating square baler I have ever seen.  Easy to see how that collosis could out bale the competition!  You have more courage than I do to disassemble a baler so completely and assemble so precisely!  My hat is off to you, Sir. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

l'm starting to get that "empty feeling" like l had when you finished the CalTex Girl 806 LP since you're almost done with the baler. Won't have any of your projects to look forward to except the Flatbed LP pickup. Maybe you can find some smaller projects that won't take as much time and effort to restore. 

7 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Tony, that may be the most quiet, smoothest operating square baler I have ever seen.  Easy to see how that collosis could out bale the competition!  You have more courage than I do to disassemble a baler so completely and assemble so precisely!  My hat is off to you, Sir. 

Thank you Gentlemen !
  As for Twostepn 2001 ,

As long as good Lord keeps me above ground and moving , I’ll be getting into something!!!!!! Lol lol . Right now would like to concentrate on baler and flat bed , Get shop and shop office cleaned out , they are a pig pen . Lol 

I have couple things roaming in my mind , Ah, Don’t mention it to Carol . Lol

Nepoweshiekfarmalls , 

I have a handy cap , as I ran one of these from 1963 to 1975 , I was young so I retained a lot , also , had a sketchy parts and operating manual and two beat up donors for templates ..

Most of all a big desire because I knew not many IH people were aware of these so I wanted to give best example of what they were new as I possibly could .

this forum has been a great support and inspiration and you held my feet to fire , I love explaining and answering questions of what I am doing and why .

BTW we still need to get it to tie , once needles are back !!! Lol lol . That will be my final exam leading to my final grade .

tony 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tony,  I have never been around a wire tie baler.   Are there different parts for wire? And I really think parts would wear out quick pulling wire through.   Baled plenty with twine.    

• Like 1

13 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

We need to be looking out for an IH #12 3pt hay rake for Tony!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nate said:

Tony,  I have never been around a wire tie baler.   Are there different parts for wire? And I really think parts would wear out quick pulling wire through.   Baled plenty with twine.    

Knotters are somewhat different .

Good quality baling wire come with lubricant impregnated for rust and wear.

But yes Nate wire will wear grooves in time in areas of travel . 
thats the problem I am having with needles now, I missed the grooving deep on backside .

earlier we sent all twister parts to have grooves polished out or metal built up.

I my baling days I always threw a pint of 10 wt . Irrigation pump oil onto roll of wire for better feeding .

tony

36 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

We need to be looking out for an IH #12 3pt hay rake for Tony!

You remembered , Yes that is a project that I will go for as soon as I find a nice IH #12 either three point or fast hitch , pto , basket hay rake.

tony 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

You remembered , Yes that is a project that I will go for as soon as I find a nice IH #12 either three point or fast hitch , pto , basket hay rake.

tony 

I can see why you want to find one, I know you used one but after using my #9..... they are good rakes

• Like 1

4/21/21

welding shop Re- straighten the damaged set of needles. John and I spent most of AM trying to shim them up but still too far off.

I think I figured out how to get them closer but we’ll have to see. 
Meantime Machine shop has come up with a way to grind and polish out the groove deep on back of needles.

we spent PM attaching the pick up drive side shield , which was lot more involved then it looks , lol lol , then we re adjusted brackets and permanent attached the auger belt shield .

we then worked on aligning twister drive shield to get it mocked up but can’t attach till we time knotters and twisters. 
even though it’s come down to crawl , we still move a little closer to the end .

tony 

A7935757-AEDD-4490-959A-DD79652B4282.jpeg

11AA9060-C85C-452A-A621-03C2D24F90C7.jpeg

9DAAD1D2-691C-4503-935D-2E2A7F0E2A1B.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Looks great from here! It's always the details that slow up the job, but it's what makes the project so outstanding in the end. Have you run across any of the other models of three wire IH balers in your searches or just the 71s?

Mike

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Looks great from here! It's always the details that slow up the job, but it's what makes the project so outstanding in the end. Have you run across any of the other models of three wire IH balers in your searches or just the 71s?

Mike

IH  made a #60 and #70 three wire in Red but  I never saw any of them out here.
IH was big in balers out here with the 55W and 56w then we went directly to the 71 three wire at which time the New Holland and Freeman three wires were beginning to dominate 

Tony 

• Like 1

4/28/21 

Sorry fellas no progress this week !

everything lately seems so backed up and taking longer! 
I ordered my baling wire 8 rolls , six for this machine two for the 55W , they have moved delivery date on me twice , now they say 4/30/22 . The welding / machine shop is slammed and short of help so still being patient for needles and pulley brake and this week the fella that my helper John sold his commercial hay business too is short help so 77 year old John is sitting in a new hay swather all week smiling while cutting winter forage for the silage choppers .

like building a house it’s the finishing touches that take the time.

Here is the plan , been assured needles come back ready for next week , wire should be here, we will install needles and time them , then make a date with John’s friend  who was field tech rep for Freeman balers ,will come and help dial in wire on twisters , even though Freeman twisters are different the concept is the same . 
we get her tying in shop with empty chamber then it’s to the field for the big hold your breath ! Lol 

tony 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5/4/21 

my 8 Boxes of baler wire finally arrived ! Six boxes for the #71 and two boxes for the 55W.
was getting little nervous was scheduled for delivery 4/28  ,  XPO logistics kept bumping my delivery .

Hoping we have a set of needles that will line up properly tomorrow !

tony 

169F73A2-9CCB-44C9-9685-E7E8B6A8AEDE.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5/5/21 

Guys look at this to start our morning off

Machine shop made me a set of  Dremels to clean wire grooves deep on back side of needle.

will let you know end of day what we got 

tony 

17E1DD61-B1AE-48D7-8339-1C18F7CD0D71.jpeg

0850F1F5-5413-410E-BA22-B9F9D8F552A6.jpeg

• Like 2

5/5/21

After much ado , three needles are on and pretty well adjusted , there is always one steer in the herd that wants to go the other way , first needle on heavy side decided not to cooperate we spent few hours trying to take the slight curve out of it . Next I’ll use a die grinder on new floor to give it a little more clearance . This darn baler only gives us an inch of clearance in all the slots they go through. 
we got them aligned and are meeting the book requirement of 5/8 “ off flush with twister frame, and A 1/32 deflection along side of twister frame had to cut 1/2 inch off new rubber bumpers that catch the needle cradle to attain the 5/8” and trying to attain 3/32 large roller over wire shroud . With all these measurements book wants needles in home position of min 1/2 “ clearing tips under bale chamber. 
be nice with a set of NOS needles but these old girls 1/8 off at base translate to lot of off at 50” out lol 

Next I will adjust needle brakes to a book deflection at top stroke of 1 1/2” to 2” .

We ran plunger with needles in tying position just to see if the made all there slots, other then that one squeaking they are fine.

Next week hope to time plunger and twister so we can trip tying mechanism .

I am starting to contact someone with a drone to film this thing baling , However, I am thinking calif third cutting alfalfa which will be end of June or first of July . Oops we may be gone to RPRU so it may be 4th cutting

tony 2F48F264-3C2B-4E7A-B170-5B81F2ADB0D3.thumb.jpeg.005db67619756284fcf204d4c50a4874.jpeg61285D44-7A48-4D16-9885-D31ABCE61288.thumb.jpeg.488a76f11c6b40d2b6af80f5c6395af5.jpeg

089CCA2E-5336-487D-BBC8-3E38E9DC6F26.jpeg

A57F502A-66B1-4441-94CC-C40E7F17EB8F.jpeg

9822290A-1770-45E8-B5FF-F4003D24D248.jpeg

2166BE8B-2293-4E86-962E-C57058DE011F.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It is almost a piece of art.  I don't know if I would be able to take it to the field.  If or when you do bale with it I can't imagine the feeling of accomplishment...

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 7:25 PM, Tonyinca said:

5/5/21

After much ado , three needles are on and pretty well adjusted , there is always one steer in the herd that wants to go the other way , first needle on heavy side decided not to cooperate we spent few hours trying to take the slight curve out of it . Next I’ll use a die grinder on new floor to give it a little more clearance . This darn baler only gives us an inch of clearance in all the slots they go through. 
we got them aligned and are meeting the book requirement of 5/8 “ off flush with twister frame, and A 1/32 deflection along side of twister frame had to cut 1/2 inch off new rubber bumpers that catch the needle cradle to attain the 5/8” and trying to attain 3/32 large roller over wire shroud . With all these measurements book wants needles in home position of min 1/2 “ clearing tips under bale chamber. 
be nice with a set of NOS needles but these old girls 1/8 off at base translate to lot of off at 50” out lol 

Next I will adjust needle brakes to a book deflection at top stroke of 1 1/2” to 2” .

We ran plunger with needles in tying position just to see if the made all there slots, other then that one squeaking they are fine.

Next week hope to time plunger and twister so we can trip tying mechanism .

I am starting to contact someone with a drone to film this thing baling , However, I am thinking calif third cutting alfalfa which will be end of June or first of July . Oops we may be gone to RPRU so it may be 4th cutting

tony 2F48F264-3C2B-4E7A-B170-5B81F2ADB0D3.thumb.jpeg.005db67619756284fcf204d4c50a4874.jpeg61285D44-7A48-4D16-9885-D31ABCE61288.thumb.jpeg.488a76f11c6b40d2b6af80f5c6395af5.jpeg

089CCA2E-5336-487D-BBC8-3E38E9DC6F26.jpeg

A57F502A-66B1-4441-94CC-C40E7F17EB8F.jpeg

9822290A-1770-45E8-B5FF-F4003D24D248.jpeg

2166BE8B-2293-4E86-962E-C57058DE011F.jpeg

Did you look for NOS needles by chance? I'd wager it's a slim chance of finding them, but may not be impossible.

Mike