My new to me IH 71 three wire baler arrived !

Spent a few hours with the old girl today Sat 1/23/21

was able to get all my belt drives aligned and adjust tension on belt.

changed my 71 decal , first 71 was not blocked enough like original . 
installed  new ones .

checked out light side wheel and axle , thought I could get away with 18 “ but no dice ,will need to go with 16 “ . Shield rubs hard . I adjusted belt tension and shield bracket but cannot get away with a 18 inch wheel , will go with a 16 inch .

Hoping to get back to pick up reel and attach the many little gadgets and be ready for plunger , feeder fork , needle timing .
before that have to get engine running .

still have few carb and throttle linkage to make along with fuel lines , However , with tank on it difficult to reach few things so we will make a little temp fuel tank , in mean time .

First and last pic is the first 71 , fourth and fifth pic is the remake . Heavier font . What are your opinions ?

tony  

4D676088-01F4-427C-8BD0-89E20CEBE997.jpeg

3C937D32-C97E-45AD-8EC8-55EE61B390C0.jpeg

FC36CF4C-31A5-4321-93AA-5E6F2FECB5B4.jpeg

44B1C7AB-E287-49E0-8258-D531373C152C.jpeg

54FE1852-0A05-4753-AA82-E04F6D8F08BD.jpeg

BD11F67A-4157-49BE-97AF-51424D9CA613.jpeg

A1BEFA66-F816-4450-900E-1740A1668191.jpeg

• Like 5

I stole  this pic out of your thread.   Your baler  you decide!   It seems that IH used a font of their own, that is not common these days ,so you have to go off pics and find what is closest.    

BEABAA69-2352-4F30-9675-60F07A0E3FE2.png

• Like 1

I’m kind of partial to the lighter font, just proves opinions are like aholes everyone has one?

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, hardtail said:

I’m kind of partial to the lighter font, just proves opinions are like aholes everyone has one?

25 minutes ago, hardtail said:

11 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

I’m leaning towards the heavier font

I have extras of both , I think the heavier font is much closer to original . 
for now I will go with heavier as I keep looking at it , it’s either going to grow on me or not. 
that’s what happen on first decal , the more I looked at it , the more I knew something not quiet right .

thanks Guys !

tony 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Farmall1066 said:

I like the heavier font as well!!! That baler is looking very sharp Tony!!! I’m really liking the yellow!!!!  

Meant to include you in above Quotes!

tony 

5 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

I have extras of both , I think the heavier font is much closer to original . 
for now I will go with heavier as I keep looking at it , it’s either going to grow on me or not. 
that’s what happen on first decal , the more I looked at it , the more I knew something not quiet right .

thanks Guys !

tony 

I didn’t think of going back to look at originals, but the one that nate showed it looks like heavier font was used. Regardless, the baler is going to be very sharp!

• Like 1

I think both fonts look fine but I would tend to go with the one closer to original.  Either way looking good Tony.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I felt driven to try and replicate this decal for some reason. Don't know if the red is correct or if the background is supposed to be flat white or some cream-ish color. I saw the No. abbreviation on the paper add for the baler but not on any of the examples of real balers. Was a fun little project.

compare.PNG

71 baler decal without No.png

71 baler decal.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for input !

on our old one back in the day and on my operators manual and on one of my donors there is the , “No.” on top . 
they all had the red on bottom , albeit this could of been shade darker. 
I remember the white being white not the eggshell white of IH 

I think this latest one is about as close as I am going to get without a nos original 

thanks , 

tony 

• Like 2

1/26/21

Baler Tuesday today ,

Most of day today was devoted to getting pick up reel together and lined up .

pressed roller bearings in , set in cam and cam guide , set in hubs , bar cylinder ends and fitted bars .

it was all much easier said then done .

think next visit we should have reel about ready for installation .

also set left side decals . 

tony 

08F73161-DF12-4893-8EBF-F5A2C0C62A50.jpeg

F83CF8C9-A9FB-42D7-A94E-80BF3FF47120.jpeg

AEA7AE64-ABAF-4A25-B6A2-5EECAD26B5FF.jpeg

E2A9CB64-EA6C-432A-9BC1-8B69DB3B628E.jpeg

B628810C-B30A-4CA3-8485-514CD22CA360.jpeg

3C9634BC-CCD3-459F-8221-DF3F632F9C87.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, IHRedDrive said:

Amazing attention to detail!! Thank you for sharing your progress and challenges. Is the Wisconsin muffler and pre-cleaner NOS or did you find parts to adapt?

Thank you ,

the muffler is a nos aftermarket spark Arrester/ muffler ,for the later overhead valve Wisconsin , I had the top piece made and adapter to inlet pipe .

I always ran spark arrester on our balers in past . The old 55W with later engine came factory with built in arrester with straight pipe .

the complete air cleaner is a paper filter type from also the next newer overhead valve Wisconsin. 
my old oil bath air cleaner had holds drilled in it for some reason . This one I had on hand on the newer engine and it fit perfect with out adaptation .

tony 

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2021 at 6:11 AM, Farmall1066 said:

That looks fantastic!!!! Your getting closer to a finished product!! I can’t wait to see this baler when complete!!! You must be getting excited yourself??

I am getting nervous !   ( after all of this will it bale and tie hay bales ?)

it’s getting down to nitty gritty and it’s amazing how something that looks so simple , has so many , gadgets that need to be in the right place at the right time to work ! Lol lol . 
I am getting antsy to go buy six rolls of baler wire but we still have a ways to go .

tony 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tonyinca said:

it’s getting down to nitty gritty and it’s amazing how something that looks so simple , has so many , gadgets that need to be in the right place at the right time to work !

I completely understand the nervousness of will it bale, and tie.  That was a huge undertaking on the restoration!! You had everything apart, but I think it’s going to perform flawlessly, you gave everything the attention it deserved.  My fingers are crossed for you Tony!!! ????????????

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2/3/21

Baler Therapy Wednesday .

after taking pick up reel apart four times we finally have all the bars synchronized and doing what they suppose to . We prepped bushing drive housing and installed new machined bushing and housing and I believe reel is ready to install before we put on teeth and stripper slats .

I was not able to get a 18” tire under auger drive , so swapped  it out for a 16 “ which is what book calls for . This is a recap aircraft tire and six hole implement rim . Will need to paint it black before done .

then we concentrated on getting engine running . Made a make shift fuel tank and had a few glitches because I changed all electrical on this engine from positive ground to Negative and from points to electronic ignition, new carb and fuel pump so getting everything close enough to start took a while but with help from a friend Steve who is a mechanic we got her going .

few pic’s ,I have video of it running but need help posting it on here .

tony    

BC4068E6-815A-4A0C-BFBF-C33B11CF75D0.jpeg

0618B30C-D31D-4761-992C-0AF46A0856FC.jpeg

FA906F1A-2B30-4237-B0F7-A5AD0C804830.jpeg

CC96E576-AB55-4E2E-974F-7566FA82E98D.jpeg

732070C4-5910-4369-9F17-9864C16F2966.jpeg

1AE02959-6509-4125-AF43-052EB196FADA.jpeg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Here is a link Tony. When you sent it to me the picture quality was diluted some. 

Engine sounds really nice. ????

Thank you Sledgehammer ! 
I want to publicly apologize to Sledgehammer , after finally sitting down at 9:30 pm and sending text to him not remembering of time differential , think it was 12:30 his time ! 
and thank you for being so gracious for posting 

Tony

I had a little leak on oil filter , and engaged flywheel without shear pin so free wheeling to check out belt travel , and I don’t have the pulley brake made for it yet .

running it with fuel tank off because once tank is in there is no reaching anything in back of motor .

I am concerned because coil is getting hot

yet it was sent as proper one with electronic distributor . Engine has been wired as 12 volt negative , coil suppose has internal resistor 

tony. 

Ok, got an email version that was much better so I deleted the original and uploaded this clear version in its place. ??

• Thanks 1