My new to me IH 71 three wire baler arrived !

58 minutes ago, Tonyinca said:

Yes , I had that habit before and it resurfaced again yesterday . lol lol lol 

this one has a distinct click !

tony 

How many of us have had the same talk with our son's our fathers had with us on that subject?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

I turned 75 last month so this will probably be my last big restoration project , MAYBE

Tony, l like that big MAYBE....lol    l can see your point and slowing down on your projects. But hopefully you can find smaller and less time consuming project to work on. lt just wouldn't be right for all us not have your weekly reports on whatever project you are working on at the time!!   ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

I turned 75 last month so this will probably be my last big restoration project , MAYBE

Tony, l like that big MAYBE....lol    l can see your point and slowing down on your projects. But hopefully you can find smaller and less time consuming project to work on. lt just wouldn't be right for all us not have your weekly reports on whatever project you are working on at the time!!   ?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

Like the Wisconsin draft horse ? sticker. 
I’m curiosity  about the allied label did allied build the baler for international ? Can’t read it all ,got the allied then I got lost. 

Allied was the dealer in Fresno Ca at the time the baler was new. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

Like the Wisconsin draft horse ? sticker. 
I’m curiosity  about the allied label did allied build the baler for international ? Can’t read it all ,got the allied then I got lost. 

560Dennis ,

Allied equipment was our IH local dealer with five stores in area Fresno County.

IH had a parts depo in Oakland Ca.

they had a manufacturing branch in Stockton Ca. Mostly for heavy tillage equipment matched to their Crawlers. 
they built industrial equipment there also .

Remember that Stockton and Sacramento Ca. Were the breeding grounds for Holt and Best Crawlers , so I imagine IH wanted to have a presence there also . 

The Three wire #71 was. Built in the Stockton plant by IH . It was billed as “designed and manufactured in Ca . For heaviest yields and Rough and tough field conditions.”

It debuted on April 8, 1962

my Dads was purchased in 1963

the fella that I purchased the two donor balers from remembers well when they were being built in Stockton Ca. He lived in Modesto Ca. Neighboring town. He said he used other brand balers but he saved these two from scrapper 30 years ago kept them on his ranch all this time because he knew they were rare.

thanks for compliment on Wisconsin decal . They made a red and green one many times they had both colors on engine . 
I am having red and green made for me , so you’ll be seeing a green one also , I think if it looks good if not I'll go with another red.

thanks , 

tony 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

560Dennis ,

Allied equipment was our IH local dealer with five stores in area Fresno County.

IH had a parts depo in Oakland Ca.

they had a manufacturing branch in Stockton Ca. Mostly for heavy tillage equipment matched to their Crawlers. 
they built industrial equipment there also .

Remember that Stockton and Sacramento Ca. Were the breeding grounds for Holt and Best Crawlers , so I imagine IH wanted to have a presence there also . 

The Three wire #71 was. Built in the Stockton plant by IH . It was billed as “designed and manufactured in Ca . For heaviest yields and Rough and tough field conditions.”

It debuted on April 8, 1962

my Dads was purchased in 1963

the fella that I purchased the two donor balers from remembers well when they were being built in Stockton Ca. He lived in Modesto Ca. Neighboring town. He said he used other brand balers but he saved these two from scrapper 30 years ago kept them on his ranch all this time because he knew they were rare.

thanks for compliment on Wisconsin decal . They made a red and green one many times they had both colors on engine . 
I am having red and green made for me , so you’ll be seeing a green one also , I think if it looks good if not I'll go with another red.

thanks , 

tony 

Thanks for the history ,important as the physical stuff ( balers) as to (who what when-where and why p

i don’t think I remember green decals for Wisconsin , but that was 55 years ago on neighborhood balers so , good to know there’s a difference . 
I like the safety labels also ! 

I personally like the safety labels to read ,interesting ,the manufacturer did try. ?‍♂️?as a kid I don’t think I bothered with it ,dad would go around the machine and tell me about it. The safety labels fell of ,rusted ?‍♂️ Or to lazy to read them unfortunately 

• Like 2

On 1/7/2021 at 4:22 PM, SMOKER 1 said:

Hey Tony!  I showed the baler pics to a friend of mine the other day and his reaction, after catching his breath was, Has this guy gone totally nuts!!!???

jerry

You replied "actually hes gone almonds....."

My dad says kinda the same thing!  But thinks its pretty neat since hes seen some of Tonys work in the flesh

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2021 at 6:27 PM, ray54 said:

Well I got some oats and wheat forage mix planted today to cut for hay if it ever rains again. Something tells me this will not be a big crop to really show how much hay this baler can take.

Yes Sir Ray54 ! Everyone is so consumed with covid and politics , and here we are with one inch of rain so far in our rain season!.

Going to have big water problems to go with our other two problems . Lol if it don’t start raining and snow in the mountains 

Tony 

On 1/7/2021 at 4:22 PM, SMOKER 1 said:

Hey Tony!  I showed the baler pics to a friend of mine the other day and his reaction, after catching his breath was, Has this guy gone totally nuts!!!???

jerry

When one grows Almonds , eats almonds , pistachios, Walnuts and they are growing all around , VERY EASY TO BECOME NUTS !lol 

tony  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Been doing few short stints in shop since Friday .

have feeder fork on , been working on routing battery cable , set battery in , trying to locate best out of way route for cables and ground strap. 
like most things on this baler , to do one thing you have to do two others at same time , so started installing control brackets . 
trying to fit new safety shield on auger to fit over the new rim and tire coming .
had a little fun applying a few more decals 

Tony 

few pic’s 

C743436D-1BEC-448D-A1D8-0866A6407EAF.jpeg

694F670B-C69F-4138-8E14-5265252855DC.jpeg

FAB94B59-DC33-4B2D-B13E-7188644245F8.jpeg

9E7E3E37-F608-4945-A0AC-5749E716F803.jpeg

6DFB2706-9F1B-457B-9097-902D60CA1FC3.jpeg

37C47924-0743-4322-9B25-A9D7EAFCD8FE.jpeg

1C2F2BDC-7F6D-462E-99FD-2AD1D8069267.jpeg

83376A8F-6994-459E-8BEB-DC49D5A56612.jpeg

93ABFB05-4E9B-4831-AC57-CB6D00AC6BAA.jpeg

9A6943A9-7EA8-43E4-93FD-AD9EED7EEB17.jpeg

BE3D3494-BE66-4F9C-95D2-7B7832A6AB2E.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Wow Tony!!  The yellow color stands out but what really hit home for me is those black and white McCormick lnternational decals. Those look identical to what was on model #30 cotton strippers. When l was a kid, l could walk around for hours looking at all the safety and service decals on the new equipment. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 7:40 AM, twostepn2001 said:

Wow Tony!!  The yellow color stands out but what really hit home for me is those black and white McCormick lnternational decals. Those look identical to what was on model #30 cotton strippers. When l was a kid, l could walk around for hours looking at all the safety and service decals on the new equipment. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!

Thank you  Twostepn ,

those decals were used in the 60’s on many pieces of IH equipment .

as for a walk down memory lane , I am going to quote a friend of mine.
“BRINGING THE JOY & PRIDE OF THE PAST FOR THE FUTURE TO UNDERSTAND & APPRECIATE “

tony  

• Like 3

I’m the last guy to say that restorations should never be used, stuff sitting can be as hard if not harder than using it BUT I hope that pickup never spies a swath?

1 minute ago, hardtail said:

I’m the last guy to say that restorations should never be used, stuff sitting can be as hard if not harder than using it BUT I hope that pickup never spies a swath?

Funny. I can't wait for the first vid of it going across the field picking up that beautiful green irrigated California alfalfa!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, exSW said:

Funny. I can't wait for the first vid of it going across the field picking up that beautiful green irrigated California alfalfa!

5 hours ago, hardtail said:

12 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

You better be careful Tony, the Smithsonian might get jealous and try to steal that ?

10 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I am quite certain that Tony will have the only restored example of this model baler. 

Salute!

Thank you Guys ! Your comments help me get to the finish line !

I think I am the only idiot to know a #71 baler !

Smithsonian would say it takes up to much room .

I do hope to run a portion of 1/4 mile windrow through it only to prove to myself and others that it works , that’s if my friend Eddie let’s me do a windrow . Otherwise we will just throw a few bales through her .

she will have signs of giving birth to a few bales , I hope !

Now that we are getting to final stretch , I hope , it’s getting nerve wracking getting things exactly like they need to be to work.

the big  gnawing thought going through my mind at this point is ; WILL THIS DAMN THING WORK ? After all this work and effort or will I look foolish with a shinny baler that does not work ? Lol lol .

Btw , been working on wiring engine , need to time it , then tank back on to make two fuel lines , one from tank to pump and one from pump to carb. I have battery in and have fire in the hole!

I have 5 quarts of Low ash 30 ready to go in , I have 140 wt . 5 quarts for gear box and one quart Hy tran for hydraulic pump .

thanks Guys

tony   

• Like 2

1/15/21

Baler therapy Friday this week !

had a little set back today , we set auger drive then installed Auger itself . 
all went well till trying to complete auger coupler . After hours of following the problem , I believe ,being whole side of baler was remade With new sheet metal and paint thickness our auger coupler is 3/16 off . Hopefully we can drill new hole on opposite side of existing hole . Did not realize that coupler is responsible to driving auger but also aligning auger and drive .

I am fighting paint thickness on most parts , the feeder fork is no exception , have to remove for paint removal or it will not fit or function properly. Lol

will have to slot sheet metal bracket holes in order to get auger coupler in perfect alignment along with sheet metal .

engine is up to full on oil .

Hoping to begin pick up reel next week , I will do small odds and ends through the weekend , in prep . 

Btw pins in box are new bale tension pins , needed made longer after we reworked and painted tension press .

tony   

D26D99B0-407F-4093-993A-00DFF32C57ED.jpeg

BC415533-4375-487B-8EEC-6F2A4D59336F.jpeg

E6C467B0-21E0-4ED2-9417-E79F06220576.jpeg

4EDBC8F7-8D3E-4EBC-8F0B-9D795B58E310.jpeg

06526D71-1D91-468C-85BE-9263F2449B53.jpeg

381C2D5D-9542-4630-AE80-52D7E6AAB261.jpeg

53B31C7D-91A0-4CD4-86DD-FD61253D37EC.jpeg

2B26C1C8-1014-4FD8-903C-2F8870F3C535.jpeg

6313A122-5E65-4F6C-BDF6-2D7BF8A8FC4C.jpeg

• Like 8

1/20/21

Baler therapy Wednesday 

Got auger drive coupled and in place 

installed auger drive belt and placed auger drive shield in place. 
installed main pick up reel drive and auger drive shaft and sprockets , under main frame.

installed new heavy side wheel and tire 

installed main drive pulley in order to line up belt and engine drive pulley .

these final inputs and many more to come  require lot of time to get it right on target along with  some frustration  along with it . Lol 

Tony 

few pic’s

8DE4991F-6ECF-458D-A1BC-9951A10E0835.jpeg

45182B03-8C9E-4A3F-B8A2-CE196611CA8D.jpeg

35A100ED-0111-474C-A7B4-972C6F7286F4.jpeg

944CB5C5-4046-447B-86EA-08E501A0517F.jpeg

D3CDDB58-2B19-4107-BD63-FCDC55CAF073.jpeg

2FF14141-EE09-41FE-9415-976409077C4A.jpeg

CCA513DB-8A09-4BCA-80E1-1ABDF13A58D9.jpeg

A5CD8B49-BF91-448C-9240-1200036C3F23.jpeg

75DE555B-A1B6-4E73-8EBA-0873F3173D2B.jpeg

• Like 4