Tonyinca

My new to me IH 71 three wire baler arrived !

2 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Agreed.  Watching guys stack bales on a wagon pulled behind a baler or the bale thrower method are foreign concepts to me.

Oh don't get me wrong here we buffed grass hay on a wagon behind a baler but they sure as heck don't weigh that much there about 50 lb

• Like 1

Tony, I've only seen pictures of Freeman balers, but from what I have heard they used the same manufacturing philosophy as Steiger.... if 1/4 in thick is good enough and 3/8 would be plenty...... then 1/2 inch should be just about right.    In other words they were built to take it. 

Probably 25 years ago here in Iowa some guy bought a used Freeman self propelled small square baler, but I never saw it run or what ever happened to it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Tony,  Was your original baler yellow too?  I have never seen a yellow IH baler!  I knew they had red and white balers, but this is new. 🙂  What did you pull that monster with back in your youth?

Yes Ours was Yellow with black wheels, Engine ,Pickup reel.

Pulled it with mostly 560 gas , usually the 400 was on the front mount cultivator all summer.

Sometimes with a 300U but I liked the 560 best.

Tony

7 hours ago, exSW said:

More California cool. I like that! You may have to establish a little alfalfa to exercise that thing!

My Neighbor has already issued an invitation to go join his two Feemans  so he can get the night shift done sooner .lol.

Tony 

• Haha 1

Three days of hot washing and I may have 90% of grease and oil off. Lol 

found new modern heavy side rim and aircraft tire matching size of old aircraft tire and double rings on rims old rims

now need to find a match for light side 

book calls for 750 X 16 ten ply 

the current wheel on heavy side is off my 55W so I can match it with rim and same size as 10 ply implement with aircraft tire. 

Then I'll pull her into shop and began tear down .

after getting the grease and years of accumilation off her I see previous owner did not abuse her but he got every penny of wear off of her. 

Finding that many knotter parts have same part number as the 55W , I happen to have a parts donner for the 55W

i think this is going to be a fun restoration 

I put an ad in Ag Source Magazine out here trying to find a donner . I don't expect to find on but worth a try .

my serial is 63-29 that tells me 29th made in 63 , they started production in 62 and ended in 65 . 

Not many out there

tony

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

This is my running restored 55W

and my 55W donner that is probably going to contribute more to the 71 then the original 55 . 

At least I have some templates of how things flow 

Tony 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve never seen a baler with an engine mounted on it being used. The only one I’ve ever seen in person was holding a ditch bank in place and I think it was an AC.   Everything here was PTO driven and bucked by hand. There were several guys that made hay squares around 80lbs.

That has got to be the Big Bud of balers. Everything about it seems overly stout. Very interesting. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I’ve never seen a baler with an engine mounted on it being used. The only one I’ve ever seen in person was holding a ditch bank in place and I think it was an AC.   Everything here was PTO driven and bucked by hand. There were several guys that made hay squares around 80lbs.

That has got to be the Big Bud of balers. Everything about it seems overly stout. Very interesting. 

That's a good discription it is built like a tank 

book says weighs in at 6200 lbs less six rolls of wire and fluids.  Six rolls wire about  600 lbs 

tony

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 12:24 AM, Tonyinca said:

I have a local paper add for this model dated 1962 April as introduction.

Is this the one your talking about Tony? 

57FC74C4-2E27-45FA-8D06-57A9357953A7.thumb.png.bbf2449f125f6e48c3b1bee3aa9e5bf1.png

Nice baler, big thing tho haha. I’ll be looking forward to seeing what you will do with it 

• Like 1

Yes that's it ! 

My Dad bought it new in 63 and we used it for all our hay until 74

i did not realize till I started this that it was designed in Calif for Calif . Don't remember sales people telling us that but it was noted on the add.

I H did have a depo and did manufacture tillage tools for the crawlers in Stockton California . 

Their main parts depo was in Oakland , Ca.

I will pursue more info on this .

tony 

• Like 1

I will plan on you to bale for me next year. Probably need the 806 in front of it with that much baler. Is it wire or twine? I could put in the field with my old NH 290 W also with a Wisconsin.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ray54 said:

I will plan on you to bale for me next year. Probably need the 806 in front of it with that much baler. Is it wire or twine? I could put in the field with my old NH 290 W also with a Wisconsin.

Wire . 

Acually my 55w came from your neck of the woods ! 

From Stenchfield Ranch , East of Old town Paso and South of 46

Those old wire tie balers fascinate me. Never saw them here. Rarely you would see a 55T or 57T. Owning one that WORKS is on my bucket list. Another of Tony's builds to look forward to.

• Thanks 1

BJ Kline ,

Would you please move this thread to the restoration page .

I am starting to work on it and would like to post the restoration.

Thank You !

Tony 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 7:26 PM, Tonyinca said:

Wisconsin VG4D

Tony 

Nice looking baler,  good find.

In the last few years I have seen several of the Wisconsin V4 flat heads sell for very low price at auction.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oleman said:

Nice looking baler,  good find.

In the last few years I have seen several of the Wisconsin V4 flat heads sell for very low price at auction.

Would like to find a VG4D in good shape rather then rebuild , but the problem is the application I need at least a 7-8 inch power shaft to fit pulley.

Thank you ,

Tony

Got the appropriate rims and tires as per parts book . Serviced axles and bearings 

She is Mobile Now ! 

Four hot water sessions to get her clean enough to get closer to shop to start in 

first will be pull the engine and rebuild 

then sheet metal and try to rebuild some pretty wore gears . 

She is pretty straight , not abused , BUT IT WAS SURE USED . Would love to know how many bales through her in her lifetime

tony

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 7:43 PM, Diesel Doctor said:

for flax straw.

Seems like I worked for the "Peter J. Sweitzer Co". stacking flax straw bales.  B-i-g stacks, IIRC at Brewster and Windom, MN.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

like to find a VG4D

Remember well those Wisconsin V-4 air cooled engines on the red/yellow New Holland balers.

Also recall the IH engines but they were on the combines in my memories, small square gas tanks.

best, randy

• Like 1

On June 16, 2019 at 2:24 AM, Randy Sohn said:

Remember well those Wisconsin V-4 air cooled engines on the red/yellow New Holland balers.

Also recall the IH engines but they were on the combines in my memories, small square gas tanks.

best, randy

Not many Vg4d s Wisc . Around anymore on these parts .

yet in 60' 70's they were the rage on balers and even swathers 

Duetz air cooled diesels took over the NewHolland balers out here in 80 90's 

tony

What little I remember of those Wisconsin V4's was people cussing them.

Tony what was the capacity of that baler? Tons per hour or day. And what was the bale dimension and average weight?

7 hours ago, exSW said:

What little I remember of those Wisconsin V4's was people cussing them.

Tony what was the capacity of that baler? Tons per hour or day. And what was the bale dimension and average weight?

Your right on the Wisc. However, the one on our baler was pretty reliable.

It was advertised at up to 6 bales a minute in steady heavy hay and our bales averaged 110 . 16 to 19 tons per hour .

As for dimensions I have to check the book I have forgotten. Bales were little larger then the NH three wire . The bale wagon was slower with them then behind the NH.

As for length you can adjust it to any length by adjusting the star wheel.  There was a sweet spot for length both on I.H. and NH that the bale wagons liked and the truckers needed to make a tight load on a set of doubles.

Lot of this hay back in the 60's was being trucked 400 -500 miles South over the grapevine into what was called at the time the milk shed in Chino Ca. L.A. county.

Most of those dairies have migrated North to Tulare county after selling their old dairies in Chino for housing , by the foot instead of by the acre in lot of cases.

Tony 

• Like 2

Thank you for the photos of the 55W.  We had one on the farm back in the 1960s.  It was always good to hear the engine revs when pulling hard.

Loading and threading the wire was one of the rites of passage for the teen-age males in the neighborhood.  We loved baling straw, but cursed the alfalfa bales, whether stacking the wagon or taking them off the elevator in the barn.. 

We learned to check for the knot location before sitting on a bale, too!

• Like 1

She is in shop and engine removed for tear down and rebuild

now the fun begins ,trying to make new sheet metal forms and re making some vip parts 

tony

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So where would you get a spool of wire that would fit and work correctly in a baler now days? 

Ross