been fixing many things on my 1086.  Still don't know what I am doing but learning.

Current Problem.  Came in yesterday from Root Stump plowing 

Turned key off (I know it doesn't do any thing)

Pulled the Governor , Shut-off control leaver down all the way to turn to engine off  and nothing happened. 

Traced the lever to where could manually accelerate the engine but see nothing that stops the engine.  Where does stopping the engine happen.  Finally closed the fuel cut off into the fuel filters to stop it.    Can't find anything in the manuals that address this.

THANKS in advance.

If you followed linkage to pump and manually accelerated turn other direction against springs should shut off.

I had a cable break on a 986 once it would go to about 3/4 open then down to a high idle I had to take the cable off at the pump to kill it when I took it off it finished falling apart

Edited by 88power
Miss worded

take the cable off the pump arm and manually try to shut it off moving the arm as far forward as possible

You probably have a bent throttle cable right up by the throttle lever on the dash.  By taking the cable loose off the arm on pump, you will feel a spring resistance when pushing lever forward to shut off position.  At the point you feel that resistance is the normal low idle speed set point and farther movement against the internal spring is shut off position.   Also, look at lever on pump as it has a spring break away on the lever that needs to be able to pivot in both directions, low speed, and high speed to avoid damage to linkages internal and external. 

• Like 1

The external pump lever has a spring that gets worn all the way through, as Pete said above. My bet is that is what happened. 

• Like 1

Hay guys thanks.

No bent cable.  Adjusted the cable on the left side of the engine which altered the lever pull.  tried it but didn't work.  since it rained last night bounced it around a stubborn stump and returned.  wala after bouncing on the stump.  the lever came all the way down and worked like a charm.  

Seems like bouncing the 1086 is part of the process.  LOL

Unfortunately stump still there