I bought a 7000 JD 6/30 planter at an auction this winter. I have gone through it, and is ready to go.  I have a 6 acre piece of ground I would like to plant soybeans on, plus some corn ground. My question is can you plant soybeans with the corn pickup fingers, or is it necessary to get the proper soybean meter or cups. The max corn population with the fingers is listed as 56,100. I f I were to plant the beans at 56,100 and then plant a second time splitting the rows would give 112,200 population on 15 inch rows. I know the population would be lower than recommended. I just really don't want to spend any money if the fingers will work with beans for 6 acres. Any thoughts? Thanks

I'm not sure if it would even work, but I've never heard of anyone trying. Ask around, somebody probably has the cups laying in the trash pile (where they belong). Brush meters can be found cheap. I put Kinze units on mine. They can have either 48 or 60 cell plates so you multiply the corn setting by 4 or 5 to get your soy pop.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WaynefromWi said:

I bought a 7000 JD 6/30 planter at an auction this winter. I have gone through it, and is ready to go.  I have a 6 acre piece of ground I would like to plant soybeans on, plus some corn ground. My question is can you plant soybeans with the corn pickup fingers, or is it necessary to get the proper soybean meter or cups. The max corn population with the fingers is listed as 56,100. I f I were to plant the beans at 56,100 and then plant a second time splitting the rows would give 112,200 population on 15 inch rows. I know the population would be lower than recommended. I just really don't want to spend any money if the fingers will work with beans for 6 acres. Any thoughts? Thanks

1 hour ago, WaynefromWi said:

Do you have a drill ? I'd plant your soybeans with a drill for that amount of acres

If your dead set on doing it be sure and get a bushy type bean.  100000 ppa can yield a fine crop if you keep out the weeds and are timely with planting 

The JD bean cups ( not brush type meters) may be ok for you. They sort of spill seed rather than accurately meter it, but I used them for a couple seasons and was not too disappointed with the results. Do some searching around as many may have them lying around since changing to brush meters. The fingers won't work, seed will just fall through.

The JD bean cups aren't bad, as TomH said they just dribble seed out.  As I recall the couple times we used them, the tables in the book weren't even close--they always dropped way more seed than what the book said.

Reminds me of a friend that was in a rush to plant his beans one year with his IH Cyclo.  He forgot to change out the drums and planted beans with the corn drum!  He said they bushed out with HUGE stalks and made some of the best beans he's ever had.

Al

X2 on drilling them. Borrow a grain drill if need be. I use my 510 IH still to this day and I have bean cups for my jd planter. I plant small acres too so it does it’s job. And a mans got to have a grain drill laying around. They are just too handy like a shirt pocket. 😎

Just plant all corn?

Look around the neighborhood to see who else has a jd 7000. They may have the old cup meters laying in a shed someplace. They should be free or next thing to it.