Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jmwi

Wire connectors for multiple wires

Recommended Posts

What is the best way to connect wires together when you have 3 wires to hook together for lights on a tractor ?

Thank you, Jesse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solder them all together and heat shrink to keep the weather out.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 wires such as 1 hot going out to 2 lights? If that's what you mean, they make heat shrink terminals that are yellow sized on one end, and blue sized on the other end, that way you could stick 2 in one end and 1 in the other. If you actually meant 3 wires together, then yes, like stated above, solder together and heat shrink. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, 1 hot wire going out to 2 lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3mtm-scotchloktm-electrical-connector-314.jpg.ef6e3555c317ea5270e18efec459cc9a.jpg

 

Made by 3m.  Pricey, but the best, quickest, and easiest that you'll find.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where can you buy these ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably any good automotive supply.  We get ours at local Napa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jmwi said:

Where can you buy these ?

Search for 3M Scotchlok. Various sizes for different wire ranges. A little pricey maybe but fast, weather proof - great for trailer wiring, easy. Nothing else I know of compares. The only thing even close is soldering but that is not always easy and it is never fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the help. I am going to see where I can get some of the 3M scotchlok's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a weatherpack connector kit. I added lights and rewired my old sprayer controls and it's very handy to have around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use  a stud type terminal strips for all  connections if space allows.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guilty. I use wirenuts filled with dielectric. I know its cheesy but I am an electrician so I have them on hand. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redneckhippie said:

I'm guilty. I use wirenuts filled with dielectric. I know its cheesy but I am an electrician so I have them on hand. 

 

I was helping a teacher in highschool restore a tractor another student suggested he use wire nuts you thought he asked for dirty pictures of his wife😂 I'd never seen someone get that mad over a wirenuts 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some good advice here...

I’ve also used closed end connectors, that come in different sizes... after I know I have a good crimp I will fill it with dielectric grease if it’s in an exposed area..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 6:19 PM, 12_Guy said:

3M scotchlok nuf said 

The wire nut that never should have been? Those are the big, repeat biggest POS in the world. I smile every time I trash one

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 5:58 PM, jmwi said:

What is the best way to connect wires together when you have 3 wires to hook together for lights on a tractor ?

Thank you, Jesse

Ideal 30-210, 30-211 or 30-222 depending on size and location, they are brass set screw wire connectors and they are the best quality connector you are going to buy, they are a little pricey but well worth it. They come 100 connectors, 100 caps and 1 installation sleeve in a box. We’ve been using them since my grandfather started the business in 63’. We don’t use them for everything these days because of cost but when you need them, you need them. We get them from Grainger. 

For automotive applying put a dab of noalox or di-Electric grease in the cap before I screw it on. 

https://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/6VG14?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIwrzl_df74QIVicDICh37gQrUEAQYASABEgJnN_D_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!320218307911!!!g!543540717339!&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwrzl_df74QIVicDICh37gQrUEAQYASABEgJnN_D_BwE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

The wire nut that never should have been? Those are the big, repeat biggest POS in the world. I smile every time I trash one

I forgot about the wire nut with that name. Agree with you junk. I am talking about the insulation displacement connector filled with grease pictured above. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 12_Guy said:

I forgot about the wire nut with that name. Agree with you junk. I am talking about the insulation displacement connector filled with grease pictured above. 

Ahhhh, learn something new every day. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Ahhhh, learn something new every day. Thanks. 

As an electrician, you are no doubt familiar with the connector by the same name used extensively for phone wiring. These are the same only bigger. No stripping, just plug in the wires and crimp. Awesome! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 6:19 PM, 12_Guy said:

3M scotchlok nuf said 

I hope you're joking.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We work with Deutsch connectors for most custom wiring installations at work. The connectors aren't that expensive, easy to use, water resistant, serviceable, and give a clean "factory" look.......

 

Deutsch_Connector_Product_Range.thumb.jpg.cf404c8ec3ecc4a0dd8e7309f263cf77.jpgdeutschdiagram.jpg.b37e570630cc9ba2c88ca5cb0cf3c0e4.jpg

 

AGCO has some buss bar connectors available in Duetsch. I'm sure other places sell them as well. These take 3 to 12 pin connectors and link various terminal spaces together internally. You can run one power wire into a 12 pin buss connector and have 11 ports to run power out of.

 

3.jpg.7fcb2ddf7977d75be428d99448149c1b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is how I do it, a non-insulated butt connector, stick two wires in one side and one in the other, strip off twice as much insulation off that end and fold the wires over to make it fit in the connector tighter.  Crimp the fitting with a pair of good ratcheting crimper and cover with heat shrink tubing.  

20190502_103028.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 8:28 PM, 12_Guy said:

Search for 3M Scotchlok. Various sizes for different wire ranges. A little pricey maybe but fast, weather proof - great for trailer wiring, easy. Nothing else I know of compares. The only thing even close is soldering but that is not always easy and it is never fast. 

 

1 hour ago, Cattech said:

We work with Deutsch connectors for most custom wiring installations at work. The connectors aren't that expensive, easy to use, water resistant, serviceable, and give a clean "factory" look.......

 

Deutsch_Connector_Product_Range.thumb.jpg.cf404c8ec3ecc4a0dd8e7309f263cf77.jpgdeutschdiagram.jpg.b37e570630cc9ba2c88ca5cb0cf3c0e4.jpg

 

AGCO has some buss bar connectors available in Duetsch. I'm sure other places sell them as well. These take 3 to 12 pin connectors and link various terminal spaces together internally. You can run one power wire into a 12 pin buss connector and have 11 ports to run power out of.

 

3.jpg.7fcb2ddf7977d75be428d99448149c1b.jpg

Love these.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...