Fish ,Silver And Fathead Carp, ever eat it.

These are the Asian carp. 

I was in Morris Illinois at a the hotel 🏨. A group of a half a dozen boats staying there . These were pro fitted  heavy duty outfits. I wish I would have asked a few questions. But I’m sure they now were fishing for the Asian carp. 

Any body ever tried eating it? I wanted to ask wear to get some to try. 

I was at the spillway in espeyville pa. They have a lot of native carp there. The billboard said that carp was a staple of the pioneer diet. So I feel it can’t be that bad. Possibly boney. 

• Like 1

There was a guy on youtube that had cooked one up. He said it wasn't bad at all. But I've never ate one personally. That said, I've eaten a lot of catfish over the years and can only tolerate so much of it anymore, lol. I'd think carp would be in the same general category for flavor.

Smoked carp done right is delicious!!

We had an old retired guy work part time in the spring at the co-op. He would bring us a slab of smoked carp every once in a while. Half dozen guys would devour it in minutes

• Like 3

We had a guest pastor who was from Italy, he said that carp was a prized fish for eating there, a lot of fancy restaurant fish prepared there is made from carp.  The native carp here have a mud vein you want to remove carefully, other than that I see no reason why you couldn't eat them.

• Like 1

They say Grass and Silver carp are good eating.

I'll take their word for it and by all means keep them out of the Great Lakes.

• Like 1

My brother in law is Chinese. We caught a couple 25 pounders and we took them to the local Chinese joint. The look on their face was like they were salmon. Next day 4 of us went in and got the red carpet with a 5 course meal, carp being part of it. Delicious. Brother in law said they use more spices than the carp is worth. If the world ever goes to crap, l will catch carp and eat like a king, at the Chinese joint.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, cobfly said:

My brother in law is Chinese. We caught a couple 25 pounders and we took them to the local Chinese joint. The look on their face was like they were salmon. Next day 4 of us went in and got the red carpet with a 5 course meal, carp being part of it. Delicious. Brother in law said they use more spices than the carp is worth. If the world ever goes to crap, l will catch carp and eat like a king, at the Chinese joint.

Good to know.  Just keep em out of the Great Lakes.

My pap used to sell carp in town here when they invaded the river system..............the brothers would drool rolling up in their dropped caddy's to load up the trunk.  I never ate one, but do eat catfish out of cleaner ponds around here, the river catfish I would probably eat now as it cleaned up alot, but when I was little I wouldn't have ate anything out of it.

There was a restaurant chain that I think started in Omaha called “  Jo Tesses “

carp was their swan song . 

Like any other fish it’s all in how you prepair it .  

Jo Tesses was deep fried or smoked . 

Use to be a fish market in town that the owner sold catfish that he caught out of the river, along with a few other types of fish, including carpets. The catfish was really good, never tried the carp, but people said if you removed the mud vein it was good. He sold most of the carp to blacks from a ner by city. He eventually had to close after the state put out warnings about eating fish out of the river.

Guys that fish the river day it's full of Asian carp. Claim they'll jump right in your boat if the motor makes much noise / vibration. Friend said he cut one open & that it was a gooey green inside & stunk.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

Like any other fish it’s all in how you prepair it .  

Jo Tesses was deep fried it smoked . 

And the water it was living in.

Almost anything tastes good when it's smoked and deep fried.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Speaking of fish, you mid western guys eat snakehead?  They are invading there now correct?  

Haven't heard of any around here, but I don't river fish.

23 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Video of them jumping:

Never seen so much cornobbling in one video!  That'll leave a mark!!

There's a lot of people that bow fish them around here I've seen some pretty slick bow fishing rigs the past couple years and like Danny said the Ohio is full of them never ate any though

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

Video of them jumping:

If I were scoring the carp would be the winners.

There's a lot of people that bow fish them around here I've seen some pretty slick bow fishing rigs the past couple years and like Danny said the Ohio is full of them never ate any though

Lorenzo, I haven't heard the name Joe Tess in 40 years. I wonder if it is still open. Googled it. Still open but the menu looks like it has changed drastically. South Omaha used to be Stockyards/Packing plant/ working class. The menu looks a bit more high end than I remember it. I'm not a catfish eater, but a guy I knew would go once a week. I think I remember him saying that one night a week they had a catfish special.

• Like 1

They opened one in Lincoln down on campus but it didn’t last very long . 

I’m supprised they are still open in Onaha .

9 minutes ago, dads706 said:

Lorenzo, I haven't heard the name Joe Tess in 40 years. I wonder if it is still open. Googled it. Still open but the menu looks like it has changed drastically. South Omaha used to be Stockyards/Packing plant/ working class. The menu looks a bit more high end than I remember it. I'm not a catfish eater, but a guy I knew used to go once a week. I think I remember him saying that one night a week they had a catfish special.

CARP IS VERY GOOD IF MARINATED IN MAPLE SRYUP  BRINE OVERNIGHT AND THEN SMOKED. I LOVE CATFISH CUBED UP/NUGGETS AND BREADED THEN DEEPFAT FRIED. SOME PEOPLE LIKE CATFISH FILLETED AND THEN BAKED.

I used to shoot the state bowfishing tournament here in MI for many years. It was all rough fish, dogfish, carp, gar pike,  drum, etc. We never had a fancy rig, just waded and shot, we could usually shoot 1000-1500 pounds in 2 days as long as the fish were out. The guys with airboats could shoot 5000+ pounds. Usually the weekend would bring in 100,000 pounds, all the way up to I think around 270,000 pounds one year. They all get dumped in gravel trains and get used for fertilizer. Saw an older african american fellow catching carp and sheephead one time while shooting, said they were the best eating fish you can catch... sort of like some exotic foods, they look inedible/disgusting, but can actually be pretty good. I'm not trying carp though.