Oh good. More logbooks

This stupid spotted lanternfly really makes for a lot of hassle.  Now the PA dept of Ag makes you attend training sessions, take tests, have a pass on each farm vehicle (still not sure if tractors and combines need the permit). On top of that you need to fill out a paper logbook anytime you move a pickup, grain truck, anything within the quarantine zone.  If dot stops ya and you don’t have your paperwork filled out that you checked for these stupid things it’s a 25000$ fine.  

If ya don’t know what these Korean bugs look like here’s one sitting on the front tire of my 806 last summer.......

D191D89A-870B-479B-93B1-E65C28B55312.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Great, another alien bug. Emerald Ash Borer is making its way up here and boats are spreading milfoil (spelling)? into lakes. Zebra mussels in the Great Lakes, giant snakes in the Everglades. We're being invaded and I guess the logbooks are an attempt to stop or at least contain the Lantern fly.  

21 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Great, another alien bug. Emerald Ash Borer is making its way up here and boats are spreading milfoil (spelling)? into lakes. Zebra mussels in the Great Lakes, giant snakes in the Everglades. We're being invaded and I guess the logbooks are an attempt to stop or at least contain the Lantern fly.  

Not like at the end of the day its going to stop anything. We were at the beginning of the Emerald Ash Bore epidemic. They tried all sorts of things to stop the spread and guess what? Its still spreading. Same with back in the day Dutch Elm Disease. 

Just for my information. What does the latern fly get into? Do the people going camping and hunting have to abide by the same rules as Agriculture? 

3 hours ago, New Englander said:

Maybe we should make the lantern fly keep logs. It’s the one traveling. 

What exactly do the flies do?

• Like 2

They’re a planthopper, and pretty much totally ruin any vineyard, or orchards they get into.....they’re not much good for hardwoods either apparently.  I see em in alfalfa hoppin around but they don’t do much there.....

Why would anyone want to ruin vineyards, orchards, etc.

Sorry, forgot about government.

What's the fine for using insecticide on them? $10 bucks, or death?

We just got certified for the fleet.  We never really get out of the quarantine zone, so we don't need to worry.

Laternflys are quickly moving into Lancaster County from Berks.  Last summer, I killed about 30-40 of them in about 30 minutes.  I mix a water/soap solution, give them a quick spray which slows them down enough to stomp them.

As much as I detest gov't, PA Dept. of Ag seems to be really on top of this invasive species.  I am guessing that they see something that really alarms them.

Image result for reading lantern fly

On 4/28/2019 at 11:58 AM, New Englander said:

The solution is to stop buying so much imported crap. Of course that's too hard of a pill to ever be swallowed, so we'll kiss our forests goodbye instead.

• Sad 2
17 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Why would anyone want to ruin vineyards, orchards, etc.

Sorry, forgot about government.

What's the fine for using insecticide on them? $10 bucks, or death?

No fine for using insecticides.  In fact they encourage it.  They love the tree of heaven (also invasive) and tell you to just hose it down with a residual insecticide.  They says they’ll have a mound of dead ones around the base. Apparently just south of Bethlehem they’re so bad you can’t even see the bark on the trees.  Just solid bugs

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard tonight for me driving my semi into PA there's a couple counties I have to take a class on what to look for and such.  Tomorrow I'm going to do some calling.

• Sad 1
8 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

I just heard tonight for me driving my semi into PA there's a couple counties I have to take a class on what to look for and such.  Tomorrow I'm going to do some calling.

If they’re this concerned about semi trucks... what about GQ Public traveling through infected areas? You can’t tell me these insects know the difference ?

Just now, Ihfan4life said:

If they’re this concerned about semi trucks... what about GQ Public traveling through infected areas? You can’t tell me these insects know the difference ?

Sid

Don't try to use common sense ...... It's lacking where the rules originate 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bitty said:

Sid

Don't try to use common sense ...... It's lacking where the rules originate 

Unfortunately it’s become common place for the “ruling class” aka government 

• Sad 1
42 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Thhe latternfly is known to be an excellent hitch hiker.  The semi truck rule sounds like it is rediculous. Im sorry to say nothing is going to stop their spread with cars traveling the interstates.  All that can be done is try to slow the spread down.  

The Ash borer will end up completely wiping out ash trees around here and now this.

• Sad 1