What I remember was talking to my wife's grandmother when she turned 100. She was born 2 years after the Write brothers flew. She remembers moving into MN when she was small in a covered wagon from northern IA. She remembered when the first person in the area here got a car. When she saw her first airplane. She well remembered local young men marching off to war for WWI. She was a farm wife/mother when the great depression started. She remembered sending her own sons off to fight WWII, Korea and grand sons going to Vietnam. She actually talked to me about seeing a mono wing aircraft. About hearing about the jet and having no understanding at all. About the first man in space and of course the moon landings. She passed at 102. Her mind was still good right up to the end.

I was born in 55. I remember the Cuban missile crisis (mostly cause dad was in the Army). Anyone remember the line in Hint For Red October? Where they guy said he helped his dad build a bomb shelter? I remember the Army sending plans for bomb shelters home with soldiers. Wouldn't have done any good but it made the families feel better. Dad got a couple of magazines that also had shelter plans. I remember watching John Glen's first space shot as well as the subsequent Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions included the moon landings. The Watts riots and other riots around the country. The mini skirt!!!!! The bra burning too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heck most of the really cool stuff was around when or shortly after I was born. Haven't really seen many new inventions in the last 50 years. But have seen a ton of improvements.

Rick   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oldtanker said:

What I remember was talking to my wife's grandmother when she turned 100. She was born 2 years after the Write brothers flew. She remembers moving into MN when she was small in a covered wagon from northern IA. She remembered when the first person in the area here got a car. When she saw her first airplane. She well remembered local young men marching off to war for WWI. She was a farm wife/mother when the great depression started. She remembered sending her own sons off to fight WWII, Korea and grand sons going to Vietnam. She actually talked to me about seeing a mono wing aircraft. About hearing about the jet and having no understanding at all. About the first man in space and of course the moon landings. She passed at 102. Her mind was still good right up to the end.

I was born in 55. I remember the Cuban missile crisis (mostly cause dad was in the Army). Anyone remember the line in Hint For Red October? Where they guy said he helped his dad build a bomb shelter? I remember the Army sending plans for bomb shelters home with soldiers. Wouldn't have done any good but it made the families feel better. Dad got a couple of magazines that also had shelter plans. I remember watching John Glen's first space shot as well as the subsequent Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions included the moon landings. The Watts riots and other riots around the country. The mini skirt!!!!! The bra burning too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heck most of the really cool stuff was around when or shortly after I was born. Haven't really seen many new inventions in the last 50 years. But have seen a ton of improvements.

Rick   

Dawg gone it.....missed the special burning you mentioned. Where did you say that happened at and when?Making sure I set the date on my calendar, next time it comes around. Thanks for sharing.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bushwacker1 said:

Dawg gone it.....missed the special burning you mentioned. Where did you say that happened at and when?Making sure I set the date on my calendar, next time it comes around. Thanks for sharing.

That was all over the US and part of the women's rights agenda back then.

Rick

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oldtanker said:

and of course the moon landings.

I was born in 55. I remember the Cuban missile crisis

Rick   

I remember an uncle setting up an 8mm movie camera to film the moon landing as we watched on a black and white t.v.

And the commercials teaching us to duck and cover when the Ruskies tried to nuke us.

• Like 1

The first joke on the "New Joke" thread?

A driver was stuck in a traffic jam on the highway outside Washington , DC .

Nothing was moving.

Suddenly, a man knocks on the window.

The driver rolls down the window and asks, "What's going on?"

"Terrorists have kidnapped the entire US Congress, and they're asking for a $100 million dollar ransom.

Otherwise, they are going to douse them all in gasoline and set them on fire.

We are going from car to car, collecting donations."

"How much is everyone giving, on an average?" the driver asks.

The man replies, "Roughly a gallon."

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Remember when every fall the newspapers would show photos of the new cars for that year. Back in the day of fins and chrome and more chrome. And steel bumpers.

Those of us from that age can still name the brand and year of the car at a single glance. Even it it is hidden in a pile of brush and weeds 50 yards from the road.

Today you can't tell the year or even the brand.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dads706 said:

And for those of us that do remember knowing at a glance what year and model it was , we don’t care anymore when we see something parked in the weeds . 

Its all junk.

10 hours ago, dads706 said:

Remember when every fall the newspapers would show photos of the new cars for that year. Back in the day of fins and chrome and more chrome. And steel bumpers.

Those of us from that age can still name the brand and year of the car at a single glance. Even it it is hidden in a pile of brush and weeds 50 yards from the road.

Yep, remember that......and them old cars......average about 80K between valve jobs, 100K for rings, 120K transmissions.......12K tuneups. Pickups that got 6-9 MPG empty.

Rick

• Like 2

i remember the last new Tahoe i bought it was a 2006, the 2007 was out, but the 2006 was the last year with a chrome bumper showing. it lasted about 9 years till a girl on a cell phone turned right in front of me, ins. totaled  it, because it bent the front frame a little but  it went to mexico to live again.

sears homes.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sandhiller said:

sears homes.jpg

There is a Sears house in my county still being lived in. Not quite the style pictured above but it is a two story. 

• Like 1

We have at least two of those in town...

One of them was a display house at the St. Louis Worlds Fair in 1904. Disassembled and moved to South Dakota, and rebuilt.

All of the pieces were numbered, and you can still see the numbers branded into the floor joists. (from the basement)

Mike

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 12:05 PM, oldtanker said:

Rick   

Speaking of nuke shelters and things that took place back in them days I ran across a Under ground Missile silo converted to a home 15 miles from me they were all decommissioned shortly after they were built and I don't think this particular missile installation ever had an active warhead shows great pics I was in it years ago as a kid very scary looking

55 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Speaking of nuke shelters and things that took place back in them days I ran across a Under ground Missile silo converted to a home 15 miles from me they were all decommissioned shortly after they were built and I don't think this particular missile installation ever had an active warhead shows great pics I was in it years ago as a kid very scary looking

Nebraska had 13 of those ICBM sights. 

Several pictures on the internet of decommissioned silos turned into homes.

One in perticular near me is owned by a Doctor in Texas.

The last time I was in it he had outfitted it with doomsday prepper type stuff. 

There were stock piles of surgical supplies, canned food, candles and kerosene , gallons and gallons of olive oil, water tanks, ect... 

Has his own plane and lands it near by. 

The silo itself has filled up with water and is a death trap.

Its an eerie place with a weird feel to it .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

I think the site that ksfarmdude's referring to was and ICBM site - where our missiles aimed at Russia were located.  Those missiles were supposed to wipe out the Russkies before they could wipe us out.

There used to be a Nike missile site a few miles from where I live now.  There's still a Nike road there.

A local vocational school uses the old buildings at the site.

For you young whippersnappers, Nike missiles were what we were gonna use to shoot down the incoming Russkie nukes.

Pretty sure it's good that they never got tested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Nike

Remember these. On the back, written in pencil is my grandma's name and dated 1930. Hint, Diamond and Ohio Blue Tip.

IMG_20190519_145518164.thumb.jpg.4367ae21b73a85df4bcb703a3ded3213.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Diamond and Ohio Blue Tip

Matches.

best, randy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

YEP.  I have a red and white metal one and still use it.  However, the new matches are not very good.

Ron

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ron Cook said:

YEP.  I have a red and white metal one and still use it.  However, the new matches are not very good.

Ron

True.

I once read that at one time "close cover before striking" was the most-read phrase in the world.  I wouldn't doubt that.

• Like 2

Yup, hung on the wall and grandma used the wooden matches to light the cob burning cook stove. I used to be able to light them one handed with my thumbnail. 😋

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 4:14 PM, sandhiller said:

Remember these. On the back, written in pencil is my grandma's name and dated 1930. Hint, Diamond and Ohio Blue Tip.

IMG_20190519_145518164.thumb.jpg.4367ae21b73a85df4bcb703a3ded3213.jpg

Got my grandma's when she passed away. Dad gave me first choice cause I was the oldest. Always remembered it being there my whole life and it's the only thing I really wanted. 

20190520_165509.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lorenzo said:

1674482671_Image5-20-19at4_39PM.jpg.10f4ba1911c7e7e954400f96e5c2788c.jpg

Apple dumpling gang

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

how did it work to load the matches ?  if i remember after you removed the cardboard sleeve, there was a cardboard band holding the matches in tucked in on both sides, that you pulled out on one end, then inserted box in holder, then pulled the band out, leaving the matches and cardboard tray behind ? is this correct ?

Edited by Fred B

For some reason dad always took us to the "Omaha Home Show" at the Civic Auditorium. I remember they had a couple examples of pre-built  bomb shelters. They didn't look much different than the root cellar the was outside the house and connected with an underground walkway to our basement.

Yes, I remember the missile crisis. The drills at school etc. I'm sure my parents as well as most parents at that time were worried. As a 12 year old kid, I really didn't understand. But I did know that living 50 miles from SAC Headquarters that a dozen nukes were aimed at Offutt and anyone between Des Moines  and Grand Island would not have time to kiss their arse goodby. And that there was not a bomb shelter built that would have done you any good.

I remember listening on the radio in school when Alan Shepard went into space.

Does anyone remember the "Weekly Reader" newspaper you got when you were in grade school?

• Like 1