Three piece wheels legal?

New Englander

A tire went flat on my dump truck, a 900-20 on a three piece wheel. I took it to the same shop that's repaired them before only to be told that they could not touch them because they're illegal. When asked who says they're illegal I got some mumbo-jumbo.

I understand the reluctance to work on them but I think the illegal stuff is just so much bull. A search turned up nothing.

Although I hate wrestling with big tires I took it home and fixed it myself.

Can anyone point to some rule/law that states the truth one way or the other?

I have heard the mult-ipiece wheels were illegal for years BUT every time I have a attempted to find a DOT or other  law I have come up empty handed.

So my opinion is that some shops just don't want to work on them.

I am calling my commercial tire to verify.

Probably their insurance company----------

local tire store will barely work on anything used.....????????:wacko:

They will gladly sell you something new, however..................

Mike

59 minutes ago, oleman said:

I have heard the mult-ipiece wheels were illegal for years BUT every time I have a attempted to find a DOT or other  law I have come up empty handed.

So my opinion is that some shops just don't want to work on them.

I am calling my commercial tire to verify.

The friendly person at the local commercial place, family owned business in the same place since the 40's. She is either the wife or daughter of the owner. told  be to bring the trailer over and they will fix both "widow maker" and normal locking ring wheels.  If I bring the mounted tire over a normal lock ring tire is currently $25. to repair. When I pressed about legality she said that officially they are supposed to cut the rims in half to get them out of service but I believe that is some sort of tire wheel organization recommendation because she said that as long as there is a need hey will continue to repair them. This is McKinney, Texas 2019.  Bring the splits and widow maker rims on down for repair.  If you are even in Colin County Texas on US 75 or US 380 and have a tire issue they are repair for truck traffic on the freeway with a tire truck.  They are also the only shop in this area that will do tractor and off road tires. They charged me $35. to patch a tube in a 13.6 X 28 by substituting a used patched tube.

So I still have not found a law out-lawing multi-piece wheels. 

What I should have done is just call the tractor tire truck. Those guys work on some big nasty tires with multi-piece rims and most likely would haven't hesitated.

Cost me my time and I stopped to bead blast and paint the two removable pieces. Makes me feel better if there's no rust/

I prefer  multi-piece rims because they are less of a wrestling match than drop-center rims. What makes them dangerous is service men not taking the time to beat down the bead sufficiently on rusty rims. Soon as they get the snap ring off  they have to start beating on the rim (because the tire is stuck) because they failed to remove the ring of rust that is typically next to the bead ring. This activity puts dents in the gutter, and the bead ring or the retaining ring cannot sit squarely in the groove; THIS is what makes them dangerous. They are  not inherently dangerous when taken care of.

I had a 10:00x20 repaired a couple of weeks ago off of the '89 F-700 (Budd wheel with outter split ring------(actually 2 piece wheel).

My regular tire shop said that their insurance would not allow them to work on split rims any longer.  (but they are really more automotive/small truck oriented)  Got a feeling they just don't want the hassle???

I went down to the tire shop that is more tractor/truck oriented-------no problem.  They definitely knew what they were doing-------smooth operation.

There are actually two types of split rims--------and I don't know the proper terminology in the two.

(1)  dates back to the '40--'50s with a  ring and actually two piece rim totaling 3 pieces

(2)  '60---'80s or later?? with one piece rim and outter lock ring (2 piece rim).  (this is what I have on F-700)

I wonder if there is some misinformation/misconception as to which "split rims" they are referring to???

Maybe some of the old truckers here can shed some light on the subject.

Interesting subject.

DD

The thing is tubeless tires now carry the load so much better. Pus you can demount remount a 11 22.5 in about 5 minutes compared to the extra steps with split tube type. The rims that are bad are the center split and the 3 piece. Just like anything they are all 50 years old now and been serviced many times

My observation in the last 30 -35 years is that the knowledge of how to service, repair, and maintain multi piece wheels is being lost rapidly.  The only people that seem familiar with multi piece wheels anymore or the ones that service offhighway equipment.  Even some of the heavy truck repair shops and heavy truck tire shops locally just do not have a need to know how to repair them because there is not a demand to do so.

I can always respect someone for saying “That task is something that I am not capable of doing.” and declining the job.

7 hours ago, New Englander said:

What I should have done is just call the tractor tire truck. Those guys work on some big nasty tires with multi-piece rims and most likely would haven't hesitated.

Cost me my time and I stopped to bead blast and paint the two removable pieces. Makes me feel better if there's no rust/

WHEN I WAS IN BUISNESS TREE SERICE MY OLD CHIP TRUCK.CHEV C40 OR 45 . THE RIMS WERE SPLITT RIMS. HAD TO REPLACE RIMS NO ONE WOULD TOUCH THEM..

The problem is airing them back up.

If rolled into a cage and a remote hose, little can happen other than getting everyone's attention if it blows.

There is the mark from a blown ring in the ceiling of the local Community Oil.

Most places that baulk just don't want to mess with them and use excuses to avoid them.

I say if you are in the business, fix them or close the doors.

There are really few left.

1 hour ago, Diesel Doctor said:

If rolled into a cage and a remote hose, little can happen other than getting everyone's attention if it blows.

Most places that baulk just don't want to mess with them and use excuses to avoid them.

You should be using a cage on all tires . Local coop has hardware store and inventory manager walked back to shop as  60 year old worker was airing up implement tire it blew apart and broke her knee or leg

17 hours ago, dale560 said:

The thing is tubeless tires now carry the load so much better. Pus you can demount remount a 11 22.5 in about 5 minutes compared to the extra steps with split tube type. The rims that are bad are the center split and the 3 piece. Just like anything they are all 50 years old now and been serviced many times

Agree 100%. I spend more time waiting for my tired air compressor to catch up than anything else. Anything I buy with split rims gets changed to tubeless if it's a option. I've fixed plenty of those widow maker wheels with lots of respect but as you stated, the time it takes to work on them. 

7 minutes ago, red tractor fever said:

Agree 100%. I spend more time waiting for my tired air compressor to catch up than anything else. Anything I buy with split rims gets changed to tubeless if it's a option. I've fixed plenty of those widow maker wheels with lots of respect but as you stated, the time it takes to work on them. 

A good guy with the new cobra bars will demount and mount a tubeless tire in a couple minutes other than needing a air cannon tubeless is so much easier one thing you don’t ruin the tubeless like a tubetype if they are run flat

On 4/27/2019 at 12:09 PM, Diesel Doctor said:

I just want to caution people that the use of a cage is not a guarantee of anything. The danger is not past just because the air hose was taken off.   Sometimes the serviceman is just plain stupid.I had a tire shop in Cleveland install a new tire on the front of my '78 Loadstar, which had 3-piece rims. After the tire was bolted to the truck, I pointed out that the bead ring was about 1/4" away from the snap ring, for about half the circumference of the rim. He said, "Don't worry about it, it just takes a little time to get seated. It'll be seated by time you get back to the shop". I showed this to the manager, he blew his top, and told the guy to let the air out before he put the impact on it.

I don't have a cage so I cover the whole tire with the loader bucket with just the valve stem showing. I've been in a shop where a tire let go. I was a kid working in the local Firestone store doing car tires - 4 for $100! Those bias ply tires wore out quick. Anyway, only the full time older guys worked on truck tires and there was one guy who never used a cage and the other guys didn't like it. One day he must have had suspicions about a tire and used the cage. Sure enough it let go with a heck of a bang. The ring came rolling over in the auto section so I'm a believer. I'm pretty sure my loader will contain it. When working in a shop with no cage I would let the lift down on them.

I clean all the rust off all the components. This last one I bead blasted the rings and painted them so it's easy to see when they're seating right.

There are split rims and then there are locking ring rims. Some shops don't know the difference. Some just don't want the hassle regardless.

I believe the illegal part is not in owning or running the rims, but in working on them. The law will be on osha's books not the dot's.

I saw that guide while searching for any law that outlaws the wheels. As far as I can tell there's no law or regulation rather OSHA publishes a guide for correct handling of multi-piece wheels. A shop saying they're illegal seems to be so much bull. I'd rather have them say they don't work on them than lie.

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

I saw that guide while searching for any law that outlaws the wheels. As far as I can tell there's no law or regulation rather OSHA publishes a guide for correct handling of multi-piece wheels. A shop saying they're illegal seems to be so much bull. I'd rather have them say they don't work on them than lie.

I agree.

There is one I never liked, I think RH5??? The tounge & groove setup you cannot see if it together right.

Fella that worked for my Dad when I was a kid.

Got blew up in Vietnam.

In the motor pool.

Standing on a split rim airing it up.

Woke up in a Tokyo hospital two weeks later.

I got a clipon and a remote valve.

Archived