OLD 10-20

Ford wants the trademark for Scout and Bronco Scout, report says

Well hows this story I just saw on the web ?    Does I.H. or Navastar still have legal dibs to the SCOUT name badge ?           I can't envision the 2 names on one vehicle .   Its almost sacrilegious to add fords name beside SCOUT .      

Probably wont sell for a vintage SCOUT price either .  

• Like 1

Navistar supposedly holds the trademark and is fighting this and should win.  The only problem I can see is if someone dropped the ball, didn't renew the trademark which has to be done periodically, and Ford's lawyer caught this.  Then who knows?

I guess we'll find out one way or the other .     Don't say if this was the earlier compact version or mid size later model .    Hopefully not a 4 door idea or ford lost the whole concept of the SCOUT .

I just read that Ford has given up the idea of naming a version of their new Bronco anything to do with a Scout.  Article was from 9-11, yesterday.  Sounds like Bronco Sport will be the name.

I think after the Pontiac GTX debacle and the memo's that were pretty curt sent between legal teams asking on behalf of Chrysler Corporation asking GM not to do that, and Chrysler hadn't kept up trade names on the muscle cars people in the auto industry basically got their ducks in a row and got their intellectual property rights assured.

Ford may own Cummins, but they don't know what the heck they're doing with it. I don't think I'd want to sour a relationship with Navistar over the name. I think eventually Ford will divest Cummins- especially as diesel imports start to come in and the economy slows- I think adding a diesel engine package to your truck will gradually decrease.

Don't believe everything you read on the net.  Ford had a 10% stake in Cummins in the 1990s, but in 1997 Cummins purchased all this stock from Ford and there has been no connection except as vendor-customer since them.  http://www.dieselhub.com/news/ford-owns-cummins.html and many other links that say the same.

As for souring any relationship with Navistar, that ended 10 years ago with law suits from both sides over various problems and the end of any joint projects.  Navistar is more closely tied with GM with the production of the medium duty trucks for Chevrolet at Springfield.

• Like 1