Red1566

Cyclo Planter Hydraulics Help!

Hi all,

this year I’ve switched to a 6 row Cyclo planter and am having some difficulty with lowering the planter. When I lower the planter, all 4 wheels go down and the planter lowers. Once the planter is lowered the left(when looking from rear) outer wheel cylinder continues to retract causing the wheel to lose contact with the ground. The marker then drops but the left wheel is suspended in the air. I then have to raise or feather the SCV to get the wheel to drop without raising the marker or the other wheels. This can’t be typical and it only happens with the left wheel. What is my problem?

TIA

Are you using float to lower it or are you powering it down? 

What model and size is the planter?

I'm guessing that something is wrong with the packing in one of the master slave cylinders is bad. 

I think usually the left outer tire and the right inner Tire are linked together for Master Slave along with the left inner tire and the right outer tire are linked together as another Master slave cylinder

did someone replace a hose on it and now you have air in the lines try to cycle it several times and hold your  lever to force it up and down a few times see if that helps

I’m powering it down with scv.

its a Cyclo 900 6 row narrow.

So if the packing is bad how does it cause this to happen? I’m still relatively new to farming < 3 years so Id like to learn as much as I can.

If the packing is leaking by it would make the other cylinder work but not that one in a master slave system

B&C Farms: I did replace the hydraulic lines last fall I will check and see if that’s it. It doesn’t seem to chatter and operates smoothly thus it did t appear to have any air in it but I’ll check that thank u.

I think if it has air in the lines you might need to hold the hydraulic lever to the raise position let it raise the whole way and keep holding it at the raise position for a short amount of time,  then do the same thing by lowering it and holding it in lower for an extended time I think that helps purge out the air out of the lines 

Ok thank u.

the planter has 4 wheels. Can u explain how the hydraulic system works so that it knows where to set the depth of the planter every time ? When powering the SCV how do I know when to stop? When the marker goes down? I know this is a really stupid question but it seems like I’m powering it down too far and the left wheel and sometimes the inner left wheel are off the ground before the marker falls down.

On our 12-row 1200 pivot planter  you start lowering it by powering it down when the marker gets to a certain point you flip it to float the marker will still fall to the ground but the planter only goes down to where it should be

56 minutes ago, Red1566 said:

Hi all,

this year I’ve switched to a 6 row Cyclo planter and am having some difficulty with lowering the planter. When I lower the planter, all 4 wheels go down and the planter lowers. Once the planter is lowered the left(when looking from rear) outer wheel cylinder continues to retract causing the wheel to lose contact with the ground. The marker then drops but the left wheel is suspended in the air. I then have to raise or feather the SCV to get the wheel to drop without raising the marker or the other wheels. This can’t be typical and it only happens with the left wheel. What is my problem?

TIA

We had a 800 that would give you fits. The cycling valve in back or whatever it is called would act up. When we had problems with a wheel  coming up to far I put 4 inch spacers or so in cylinders, so the drive wheels would stay Down

Dale560, I was thinking it might be that cycling valve but I was under the impression that would only affect market operation?

Dumb question but are all 4 tires the same size and brand? 

When I converted my 800 6 row to 4 wheels the place I got my 2 wheel assemblies gave me 2 with different lift cylinders. One side lifted faster than the other and it always went up crooked. 

2 hours ago, Red1566 said:

Dale560, I was thinking it might be that cycling valve but I was under the impression that would only affect market operation?

The valve does more than the markers. I can’t remember all now. We haven’t used ours for a few years. I always had to flick the switch on ours to let it down it would go about 2/3 and stop. I eventually ran hoses to the markers and lift cylinders and used 2,hyd later on. 

3 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Dumb question but are all 4 tires the same size and brand? 

When I converted my 800 6 row to 4 wheels the place I got my 2 wheel assemblies gave me 2 with different lift cylinders. One side lifted faster than the other and it always went up crooked. 

The way it's supposed to be is on the left side of the planter it should have one 3" cylinder and one 3 1/4" cylinder. On the right side it should have one 3" cylinder and one 3 1/4" cylinder. The 3" on the left side of the the planter should be hooked up to the 3 1/4" cylinder on the right side of the planter. The 3" cylinder on the right side of the planter should be hooked up to the 3 1/4" cylinder on the left side of the the planter

The way they are supposed to be crisscrossed should make it lift parallel to the ground