Sign in to follow this  
Dave Shepard

Big Cam 350/Jake Brake.

Hopefully the last thread on this truck for a while. The Jake only works on low, and after it's used a couple of times, it stops working altogether. I know the switch at the PT pump is clicking, but have not verified that it is actually switching consistently. I know the clutch portion has been bypassed, and it keeps popping even at idle. I don't know much about them. Are there wiring diagrams available for a Jake Brake system based on the engine it's on? Thanks. 

Older Jakes don't shut off at idle. Seems to be electrical connections are corroded. Usually the ones on the engine are the culprit, clean them up and it should work.

The low-medium-high switch controls voltage to either one, two or all three heads to get the three different levels of braking. 

You can unplug wire right at the head and use a volt meter to see if things are working. 

Key on, engine off and a friend working switches with you on the meter should be able to track down your issues pretty easily. 

Good luck. 

Thank you. I'll check the connections this week. I talked to a friend yesterday, he says he's seen the 1-2-3 switches fail, also. 

Jacobs has a website .  All of the install, parts and troubleshooting manuals I have ever needed are on there.  

Thanks, I'll check it out. Haven't had time to look into the wiring yet. Truck has been running well in combat mode, so at least it's useable. Have to order a shutoff solenoid.