Jump to content

Question for really old school guys......Paper belt pulley question


Recommended Posts

Belt pulley works to start a dead tractor from another tractor with a belt pulley. We did it on one where the starter was kind of weak and it had carb issues from sitting

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha

17 minutes ago, bitty said:

Belt pulley works to start a dead tractor from another tractor with a belt pulley. We did it on one where the starter was kind of weak and it had carb issues from sitting

My grandfather when he was in his late 70’s used to start his Super C, jockey it into position, and place a belt from it to his Johnny popper that didn’t have electric start, and then use a large belt off a mower to start the popper.  His hand had gotten arthritic and turning the flywheel was difficult.  

When my boys saw that they asked why he was doing it I told them it was the best way to start a green tractor😊😏😊😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2019 at 4:18 PM, jingles1928 said:

Most pullys have a crown, even some of the steel ones if you look real close.

Concur with you - but some are almost impossible to see!  Been looking at those belt pulleys over on the photos at the Wanaka site.

best, randy

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I’ve been around plenty of stackers and crusher conveyors and in my experience the tail is usually crowned, but now that you mentioned it I don’t think I’ve ever taken notice of a crowned head pully. The crown doesn’t have to be much, especially if you can track the belt but makes them run true. I’d bet if you got on factory rubber coated head pulley with some calipers it’d have a crown to it

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to my 1917 copy of machinery's handbook, they recommend that the height of the crown (c) for a leather or rubber flat belt pulley be equal to: c=f^(2/3)/32, where f is the pulley face width in inches and c is the height of the crown (per side) in inches.  So, the largest OD of the pulley would be the OD at the outer edge of the pulley + 2c.

image.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think you could do a pretty good job of cleaning them up with a disk sander either chucked in the lathe or running on the tractor.  You would probably need a tracing attachment on a lathe to get it right, unless two flat tapers from center would do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2019 at 10:48 AM, AKwelder said:

Ha

My grandfather when he was in his late 70’s used to start his Super C, jockey it into position, and place a belt from it to his Johnny popper that didn’t have electric start, and then use a large belt off a mower to start the popper.  His hand had gotten arthritic and turning the flywheel was difficult.  

When my boys saw that they asked why he was doing it I told them it was the best way to start a green tractor😊😏😊😂

I lost my senses and bought a "nice" JD H last spring. Always wanted one, like a Farmall Cub they're "cute...."

Ran like a top until I got it home.  Long story short the compression is pretty low (OK, low even for a putt putt) and it can be pretty temperamental to start.  I just had to have a hand start........

I get a great deal of satisfaction out of belt starting it with a Super A!!

Al

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I just talked with paperpulleys.com about protecting the paper. He replied:

When we rebuild a pulley we completely submerge it in 30 weight oil.

That’s what we recommend new 30 weight motor oil put all over your pulley and if you ever end a pulley rebuilt just give us a call.

931-388-9099

JEFF KING

Now we know too!

Link to post
Share on other sites

And here is a photo reference of the crown on the pulley for my 200.IMG_1210.thumb.JPG.2d82f7b3749cef69228825e4652c9879.JPG

 

Cheers!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 6:51 AM, Diesel Doctor said:

I just talked with paperpulleys.com about protecting the paper. He replied:

When we rebuild a pulley we completely submerge it in 30 weight oil.

That’s what we recommend new 30 weight motor oil put all over your pulley and if you ever end a pulley rebuilt just give us a call.

931-388-9099

JEFF KING

Now we know too!

ya because its just paper sheets. and when those pulleys where in use lots where covered in the  belt dressing applied to the belt and protects the pulley.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am assuming that it needs to be low ash 30 correct ;)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...