Farmall1066

Who’s stirring dirt?

Around here guys that farm 6-700acres will run 16 row planters sometimes. It isn’t me and I don’t know how it gets paid for.  Most of the guys that run 1-3000acres still use a 16 row due to field sizes. You can’t get a 24 row in a lot of fields. I find it interesting hearing what people are using in the different areas. Good topic

11 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I had a gentleman tell me the other day that if you farm a 1,000 acres you need a 24 row planter. Without one, you can't get the seed planted in time.  Am I that out of touch?  We used to raise hogs, cattle and managed to plant 620 acres with a 4 row!  Lots of seat time and short nights, but we always raised a crop.

We had planted 90 acres per row of planter for years when we had a 4 row (360 acres) 

Traded up to a six row around '97 and then we soon we're planting 100 acres per row. We got to 200 acres per row (around 5+ years at that acerage per row)  and then finally added a used 12 row 950 and 900 that I combined with each other to make a 12 row zone till planter. We eventually got a used 1200 pivot 12 row and still use the 6 . We are planting between 900-1200 acres a year depending on the rotation between haylage and corn silage .

And here I just bought an 8 row to replace my 4 row on 150 acres, just so I can get done quicker so I can tend to other duties.  But then again I work full time off the farm, have 2 younger kids that deserve to have time spent with them, and an old farm to try to clean up/keep up.  It helps that i have big enough tractors though too.  It would have been kinda funny if i didn't find an 8 row for the right price, i would have been planting 4 rows at a shot with a 1586 🙄

• Like 2

On 4/28/2019 at 5:57 PM, Littlefeller said:

And here I just bought an 8 row to replace my 4 row on 150 acres, just so I can get done quicker so I can tend to other duties.  But then again I work full time off the farm, have 2 younger kids that deserve to have time spent with them, and an old farm to try to clean up/keep up.  It helps that i have big enough tractors though too.  It would have been kinda funny if i didn't find an 8 row for the right price, i would have been planting 4 rows at a shot with a 1586 🙄

Know how you feel, I would to like find a twelve row to replace my six row for the same reasons you mentioned.  But the way this year is starting out, I may need to look for pontoons for my six row instead!

• Like 2

seeding 2019.jpg

• Like 3

Only thing stirring dirt here is the rain...

7 hours ago, NY1468 said:

Only thing stirring dirt here is the rain...

The way things are going here, we might start putting frost back in the ground!

On 4/20/2019 at 5:41 AM, mike_newman said:

....finally rained  where we are, so got the old direct drill out and drilled  in our "always reliable " black oats ........this for winter feed for cattle,....as often after a prolonged dry spell, our autumn turns   quickly to winter......thus we never sow  brassica's  this late in the year...Picture taken about 14 days ago......and we use the old  D6B  on the  hill paddocks......some area's...(not shown) ...are quite  steep for our 4x4   Case IH.........especially after the rain.....

Mike

IMG_0854.JPG

I always wanted to know how you blokes did it, was in NZ in January and I swear I saw a goat rolling down a slope where there was a crop

• Haha 2