Farmall1066

Who’s stirring dirt?

How many forum members are stirring dirt, or getting close? I just took a trip from east central Minnesota to New Salem North Dakota last weekend, and it’s wet, and cold! If we get into some warmer, dryer weather, I think we are still 3-4 weeks away from dropping seed?! But I know things can change quickly with warm, dry, windy weather! 

Most of the anhydrous is finished for the dry land farmers that plan to plant corn and were unable to do it last fall . 

Some guys have started planting but the soil temp is still too cold in my opinion.  We are ready but waiting a few more days.

forcasting 80 degrees Saturday thankfully.

• Thanks 1

MiWe chisel plowed where we spread manure last week as well as where we seeded a field of alfalfa. I also subsoiled where we chopped last year as well as where we cut wood this winter. I do have a little bit more subsoiling to do where a guy took rocks out of some fencerows on my farm. We also got a field of alfalfa planted. Been wet this week though. My brother disked the field which is why I didn't get any pictures taken of that.

Here's some pictures of some fieldwork we've done.

20190408_114319.jpg

20190408_114324.jpg

20190408_114331.jpg

20190408_161149.jpg

20190409_152824.jpg

20190409_153516.jpg

20190409_155404.jpg

20190409_155750.jpg

20190410_131240.jpg

20190410_131245.jpg

• Like 5

going to try it next Tuesday if we do not get much rain over the weekend

1 minute ago, b&c farms said:

going to try it next Tuesday if we do not get much rain over the weekend

I see your in Nebraska.   What county?

A few guys have started in Saline and Lancaster county.  (  south eastern Nebraska) 

no idea about anywhere else .

I was able to work up and planter ten acres of barley last week before we got 4+ inches of snow on Sunday.  It's been rainy, cold and wet since, no breaks in the forecast yet.

1 hour ago, Farmall1066 said:

How many forum members are stirring dirt, or getting close? I just took a trip from east central Minnesota to New Salem North Dakota last weekend, and it’s wet, and cold! If we get into some warmer, dryer weather, I think we are still 3-4 weeks away from dropping seed?! But I know things can change quickly with warm, dry, windy weather! 

What did you find in new Salem? Sue the Holstein? We are 125 miles north of Bismarck one guy was putting anhydrous on on Tuesday. I expect the neighbors to get going seeding wheat on Monday or at least next week sometime and I would bet there is a couple of guys west of us that irrigate sandy land. They have to have started on their corn and potatoes. They are always super early a couple weeks ago they were talking mid April for a start date.

Disk chiseled 30 acres in north west Ohio last Saturday the 13th It was borderline dry enough but it is way too wet to do anything now.

Guys down the road chiseled a month and a half ago they got it smooth as a baby's butt early last week seen several others like that also. We got all are pasture seeding done been clipping pasture all week thill it rained today. It's supposed to be high in the low 40's tomorrow maybe a chance of snow then back up in the 70's by Sunday.

• Like 1

They are calling up to three inches of rain today and the next 10 days basically is all rain in the forecast. We would like to have done the seeding but it hasn't been drying up yet this year to no till or plow for that matter

Painting things blue around here! We’ve got just a hint of green showing and wet weather so we’re putting copper on as a fungicide/bacteriacide. Spraying come before dirt work for us!7D79393C-739C-4D00-899C-7ACCFFBA9736.thumb.jpeg.c264d6def0ad0dc06e6780440c8963a7.jpeg664C0E4D-72E1-44E7-A9BC-E2BD1AE247E6.thumb.jpeg.e86b22b756dfd21dd9c0ef73e8a2a865.jpeg

• Like 4

I disked a few washouts in the bean stubble last week.  All the ground going into corn is sprayed. Neighbors across the road planted corn. We no till, so still too wet for us to plant.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

Churning plenty of mud feeding cattle...

Some planting progress in my neighborhood but sporadic at best. Barely gets dry then we get rain again. I’ve planted a few fields but not much. 

• Thanks 1

....finally rained  where we are, so got the old direct drill out and drilled  in our "always reliable " black oats ........this for winter feed for cattle,....as often after a prolonged dry spell, our autumn turns   quickly to winter......thus we never sow  brassica's  this late in the year...Picture taken about 14 days ago......and we use the old  D6B  on the  hill paddocks......some area's...(not shown) ...are quite  steep for our 4x4   Case IH.........especially after the rain.....

Mike

IMG_0854.JPG

• Like 5

7 hours ago, dale560 said:

What did you find in new Salem? Sue the Holstein? We are 125 miles north of Bismarck one guy was putting anhydrous on on Tuesday. I expect the neighbors to get going seeding wheat on Monday or at least next week sometime and I would bet there is a couple of guys west of us that irrigate sandy land. They have to have started on their corn and potatoes. They are always super early a couple weeks ago they were talking mid April for a start date.

Yep, checked out Sue!!! Good cow, just stands there, looking north!! 🤣   They seemed damp in that area yet. 

4 hours ago, bitty said:

They are calling up to three inches of rain today and the next 10 days basically is all rain in the forecast. We would like to have done the seeding but it hasn't been drying up yet this year to no till or plow for that matter

Starting out right where it left off last year?! WET!! 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, nate said:

Churning plenty of mud feeding cattle...

Just got back from Litchfield, it’s wet down there! 

Still to wet here

APF

too wet,  even the ducks have boats.

• Haha 1

about 1/2 the fields still covered with snow and the rest is soggy.

ochard pruning done for this year,,just have to do clean up.[makes great wood for bar bq.]

Mike

Few guys poking around before this rain. We are no-till so patience is a virtue. Too wet and cold. Would say 7-10 days things will ramp up. Same as most years

I planted alfalfa yesterday. was supposed to have rained today, but didn't. Hopefully tonight.