Sign in to follow this  
Iowa5288

Bush Hog 1550 Chisel

Just purchased a Bush Hog 1550 Disk Chisel.  Ended up replacing the bearings in one gang, which were easy enough to come up with.  When looking at it in December in a cold dark pole shed I missed that 2 shank mounting "u bolts" are missing.  The dealer that the previous owner dealt with said that he had purchased the last ones they had several years ago, and they did not have any more.  She checked with a different dealer and they have them, but at $58 each. Does anyone have or know of a resource for these bolts?  If I can't find them cheaper I will have to bite the bullet and pay the price, I just hate to pay 1/5 of my purchase price for 2 bolts..My good may not be so good......I guess that is what happens when you buy what you can afford.

I'd walk around used equipment lots with your tape measure seeing if other brands of implements use that size or similar v-belts, then when you find something usable check the price at a local dealer.

Using two bolts and a heavy piece of steel like 1/2" x 2" with two holes for the bolts is another way to replace $58 u-bolts.

Local auto spring shop here I believe makes u bolts.  Might take one off and see if you can go that route.

I think baum iron and hyd. has u bolts or central supply both out of Omaha good people to work with

The shanks do not use a standard u bolt, so finding a common one or using plate and bolts won't work.

1555798753597240954457.jpg

Spring shop should be able to make them. Or a little creative good welding should make them.