BobinIL

966 power steering lines

Trying to get all the little oil leaks stopped on my 966 and found a leak on one of the hard power steering lines that run along the inside of the frame rail down through the front axle bolster for the steering cylinder hoses to attach to.  tried CIH and no longer available (surprise)  Then tried Bates and they did not have any in inventory but may have one still on a salvage tractor.  I will pull it off tonight and wire wheel it to see if I can find the leak.  Can I braze it?  If not where can I get one made to duplicate the original?  

17 minutes ago, BobinIL said:

Trying to get all the little oil leaks stopped on my 966 and found a leak on one of the hard power steering lines that run along the inside of the frame rail down through the front axle bolster for the steering cylinder hoses to attach to.  tried CIH and no longer available (surprise)  Then tried Bates and they did not have any in inventory but may have one still on a salvage tractor.  I will pull it off tonight and wire wheel it to see if I can find the leak.  Can I braze it?  If not where can I get one made to duplicate the original?  

I braze lines like those all the time get all the oil out and I run brake kleen thru it also and repair the cracks or rub spots

Yeah you can braze that, like farmdude said above, clean it real good, and take your time with the heat.

x3.... I have also brazed these with good success...

Just be aware that if you use brake cleaner for any cleaning and then apply heat to the area such as you would brazing, welding, or just heating with a torch, you can create a toxic and deadly gas called phosgene ... probably most are aware of this , but not everyone is...  anyone using brake cleaner and then applying heat over 315 degrees needs to be aware of it...

There are many articles on the internet that cover this..

Good luck with your repair ! 

Grant

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, north of 60 said:

Just be aware that if you use brake cleaner for any cleaning and then apply heat to the area such as you would brazing, welding, or just heating with a torch, you can create a toxic and deadly gas called phosgene ... probably most are aware of this , but not everyone is...  anyone using brake cleaner and then applying heat over 315 degrees needs to be aware of it...

Grant

I did not know that.  Thank you so much for that information.  I guess that you can teach a old dog new tricks!

This is probably a good Forum to let it be known, for those that don’t know about it..  a quick internet search will show that it’s for real.... including others just like us who are always cutting and welding, and who had close calls, telling their stories..

Maybe I should create a new topic in Coffee Shop Board with a couple links ??

I don't have equipment to weld or braze,    so I take lines to the local machine , blacksmith shop.  Later years they have gone to silver soldering.  He claims better and less stress on line etc.  Haven't had one done for a few years but two different shops did it for me the last time I took I hydraulic lines. 

On 4/18/2019 at 12:07 PM, north of 60 said:

x3.... I have also brazed these with good success...

Grant

I've heard that is only with chlorinated brake cleaner, and that it doesnt produce phosgene if you use non-chlorinated cleaner. I may be wrong though

There are, as with most everything, different opinions on that.... the more prevalent thought seems to be ...why take a chance when the phosgene produced can be so deadly in such small amounts...  

Many use acetone for cleaning metal that is going to have heat applied  to it...

I would encourage anyone who wants to know more about this to google it... 

I just blow the line out wire brush the outside good and braze it 

ive never used cleaner of any kind