Delta88

PTO Choice

I have 2 5288's with 1000 pto. I am looking at a 10 ft bushog with a 540 shaft. Other than putting an adapter on and changing the data center (?) to 540 is there anything to be looking at?

That will not change your PTO to a 540, if that's what you are asking about. All that does is cause your data center to give you a false reading of the PTO RPM.

Your PTO will still turn 1000, as it is hard-geared. You would have to run at lower throttle to get 540, but that probably won't work well with a bush hog.

Couple of options: Swap in a 2-shaft PTO unit on one of your 5288's. Find a 1000RPM gearbox for the bush hog. Also, I believe there are/were parts to rebuild a single-shaft 1000 PTO unit into a 2-shaft 540/1000 unit.

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Also, I believe there are/were parts to rebuild a single-shaft 1000 PTO unit into a 2-shaft 540/1000 unit.

No.  The two units are totally different.  It's not like the 1000 only units are a dual with only one shaft.  They are completely different. 

Yes to all the other stuff Matt said.  Changing the date center does nothing.  They do make 1000 RPM bush hogs though.  And you can easily swap PTO units.  

11 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

No.  The two units are totally different.  It's not like the 1000 only units are a dual with only one shaft.  They are completely different. 

AH, yeah, they do...............Mike Links has the kits for $1900

12 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Now TP why do you have to teach a skilled technician things.....

21 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Ok.  Well, it must come with a different cover.  Why would you spend $1900 on a conversion when you can buy a reman dual unit for $1250?  Even if you paid the core and didn't send the 1000 unit in, the core is $350.  Math tells me it's cheaper to buy a dual unit outright than convert.

9 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Now TP why do you have to teach a skilled technician things.....

At least I don't need help to do 2nd grade math. 

Knowing what someone is offering as a "kit" at $300 more than you can buy an already built unit for has nothing to do with being a "skilled tech".

$1500 for a conversion kit. $2500 for a reman dual speed unit. 

Change the gearing on the implement.  Will have a much smoother running machine.  Too many 540 shafts twisted off at high horse power and some times it is not a pretty site. 

• Like 2

My understanding is the reman dual speeds for 5x88 series are tough to come by. You can't just use an 86 series PTO or it would be a no-brainer.

The kit does replace the external cover. I came across one such converted PTO on a 5288 at an auction last fall. The 1000 cover, with gear and shaft intact, was sold separately as a pallet lot. I thought about buying it to hang on the wall...

48 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

My understanding is the reman dual speeds for 5x88 series are tough to come by. You can't just use an 86 series PTO or it would be a no-brainer.

The kit does replace the external cover. I came across one such converted PTO on a 5288 at an auction last fall. The 1000 cover, with gear and shaft intact, was sold separately as a pallet lot. I thought about buying it to hang on the wall...

Should have bought it, when I bought my 5288 from Titan, the shaft must have had a cyclo planter pump hanging on it and the splines were worn.......I told the salesman I wanted a new shaft and I would put it in, he said ok.  Tractor came, new CNH box with the shaft was in the cab, I changed it out along with the seal.  Kept the old one.........he called me a few weeks later and asked if I was happy, told him I was tickled, as I believe we had it on the batwing using it by that time.  He said that I taught him a lesson, I was confused and asked how is that......he said he learned to check prices before committing to something because that 88 shaft was sure way more expensive than one for a 86 series and they did not plan on that.  Either way I was happy they honored their word on it.

j-mech, I wil take 1 of the reman $1250 dual shaft units for a 50 series.........if you find me a reman one for that price I will even give you a $50 finders fee!   You can't even buy a unit out of the back of a tractor in a salvage yard here for that!

When I have them I was getting a 1000 for the dual unit you might have one for couple years before anybody wants one maybe I should have asked more

Like Pete said change the bushhog over it will be easier on you the tractor and bushhog. Imo I'd never use a adapter that's asking for trouble. 99% of pto work we do with are 5x88's is bushhog, we started off with 540 then went to 1000 not as many breaks and the 1000 is a cleaner cut. If you do decide to pull your PTO to swap or convert be sure to use a chain hoist or cherry picker your back will appreciate it.