Fuel has been leaking into the oil in the sump on my TD9 injection pump since I’ve owned it...  I would drain the fuel off before each use, (as it would be sitting on top of the sump oil).... and I also drained and replaced the sump oil regularly.. I would also shut the fuel off at the tank when not in use...

I was pretty sure it was the primary pump seal that was leaking, as I had checked and eliminated other possibilities mentioned in the repair manual.. this is apparently a common issue with these pumps, and has been covered on this Forum by others previously..

I searched to find a replacement seal (part #266594R91)... there are a few out there, but with the current exchange rate and shipping from USA, it was going to cost me well over a $100.00 to get the seal..

I called Brown International in British Columbia, who have been dealing in old IHC crawlers for years.. they were not able to sell me the seal, but know of someone who rebuilds the primary pumps... at a cost $187.00 Canadian if you have your core... so I went with this .. it arrived today... I will add more photos as I install it ..

C1B68A37-59B6-4AE5-B347-35311BA092BB.jpeg

If you paid $187.00 Can. for the rebuild, you got a good deal. The leaking drive seal on the primaries is the main cause of fuel in pump or fuel in engine crankcase. Not too impressed with that ugly yellow paint job, but its what's been done inside that counts. Jim.

I plan to repaint it red before it goes on..... my engine was yellow at one time, a bit of the yellow shows through here and there... probably never will be a restoration  project, she’s a working girl, lol... 

The first pump they were going to send me was painted red... I could tell from the pics it was for an “A” pump with the scavenging valve ...

You will have to let us know if the rebuild solves the dilution problem. I have several pumps with similar problems. I usually just drop the oil, refill with fresh oil and do the job. I have learned to always close the fuel tank valve when shutting down. Jim.

4 hours ago, crawlernut said:

You will have to let us know if the rebuild solves the dilution problem. I have several pumps with similar problems. I usually just drop the oil, refill with fresh oil and do the job. I have learned to always close the fuel tank valve when shutting down. Jim.

Will do... have removed the old pump, it came off quite easily... the  round coupler on the end of the shaft did not come out with the old pump, had to reach in with needle nose pliers and pull it out... the small pin that should secure it to the pump shaft was missing... hoping if it’s in the injection pump it’s laying in the bottom of the sump.. tried a bit of fishing with a small telescoping magnet, no luck... injection pump has been working fine... 

Have the new pump painted red now, and all the old gasket material removed, so ready to do the install tomorrow..

• 1 year later...

Brown International Services, Armstrong, British Columbia ... if you google them they have a website ..  they pretty much deal with construction equipment, which thankfully share some parts with the older agricultural equipment .. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just went through this a couple months back. Could not find anyone that would sell me the seal, only would install lip seal if we send it to them.

Mine was leaking so bad it would over flow the fill tube. Fixed now but pricey.