Cooter

Buying equipment in Canada

Has anyone bought anything in Canada?  Is there some kind of Duty or do you pay state sales tax when you bring it back over to the US?  If you are a farm and tax exempt with an EIN#, does that get you out of any Duty's?  I'm not sure how it works, but would like to know the details before I commit to buy.  Having your equipment confiscated by the customs agents doesn't sound like much fun....

We got a Case IH 900 planter to use for parts for our 955 . It was 198 miles from us and we let the dealer arrange shipping as they are experienced in the hoops to jump through. Dealer was maybe Hub international ? 

I have heard it needs to be washed very good to close the border.  They're worried about weeds crossing the border.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cooter said:

Has anyone bought anything in Canada?  Is there some kind of Duty or do you pay state sales tax when you bring it back over to the US?  If you are a farm and tax exempt with an EIN#, does that get you out of any Duty's?  I'm not sure how it works, but would like to know the details before I commit to buy.  Having your equipment confiscated by the customs agents doesn't sound like much fun....

We buy several parts and full pieces from across the line.  Cows even actually.  2 miles so.... Awesome MF dealer about 20 min away who treats us like his kin, we get mowers and mower parts from.  Just inform the dealer of your situation.  They should have proper sales contract and drive on through.  No broker no fees etc.  Just ask for papers and what it is.  Drug 15' mowers through truck crossing, pickup(needs a letter for epa stuff) and silage wagons.  0 issues.  If dealer takes over as a seller then it complicates it.  Farmer with farm equip 0 issue.  

20140422_144209_zpsrha7rhxp.jpg

Red building right behind mower is Sumas/Huntington border crossing....😉

Bought a used loader tractor from Canada a couple years ago. Was a pretty simple deal. Dealer on Canadians side did all the paperwork and I had no problems coming back into the USA. Tractor wasn’t very clean either. The dealer called the border and when I got there they just asked the normal questions. Didn’t cost me any extra that I’m aware of. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

I have heard it needs to be washed very good to close the border.  They're worried about weeds crossing the border.

I know this is very true on bringing equipment into Canada. I think it only applies to self propelled equipment. But it's been a few years since I brought a tractor across the line so things may have changed. Going from the US to Canada wasnt much hassle. One thing we always do is call ahead to both border crossings and let them know what's happening and what all we need to do. They must keep it on file cause it's never been a problem when we get there.

In 2008 I bought my MX135 in Manitoba. Not a big deal to get across the border. Best thing is to work with a dealer on that side that knows the process and can generate the paperwork required to satisfy the border agents. I went through the non commercial line coming back in the US.  I didn’t need a broker either. Things may be different today. This was at the Pembina port. 

I think some of the crossings have a bit more sense of humor than others. I bet if you cross at the Walpole Island ferry it would be easier than at the Embassador bridge. I have not tried hauling anything across borders though.

I have bought several pieces of equipment from Canada over the years as its only a half hour from me and was no problem. Make sure its washed good and looks reasonably clean. Farmer to farmer sale there is no duty or tariffs. If its dealer sale, they do all the paperwork normally so is no problem. Pretty steady stream of equipment going both ways across the border here

Bring maple syrup and canadian coors for a "just in case" bribe. Dont ask me how i know that works.......i know people🤐

• Haha 1