Sign in to follow this  
MTO

Hey you welders

17 hours ago, augercreek said:

I know about seeing well ! The new glass's I got have a reflect coating on them so when striking a arc you can't see for s!!!!!. Now I use a pair of cheaters for welding. 3+ work good.

Augercreek---

Is the "reflect coating" you mention for anti glare/anti reflection???

I just picked up a new pair of tri-focals and forgot to request the anti glare coating.  Ironically------was just getting ready to send them off for the anti glare/reflection coating when I saw your post.

That's interesting------think I better carry my old lens in and make sure they had the anti glare coating before sending the new ones off???

Never have had glasses that pick up glare and reflections like this new pair----a real pain in the rear (especially in the house at night).

Thanks----

DD

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 88power said:

I guess I'm the only one here that likes a 7018 one thing to remember is to keep them as dry as possible 

That's all we use. 1/8" and 3/32". We stick with the 7018-1 Lincoln rods. Tried other brands but just didnt seem to do as nice of a job. Maybe it's just my poor welding skills 😂

• Like 1

Yes they are coated to make it better for night driving. Darn near impossible to weld with.

Ayup 7018 is my go to and 6010 for the heavy stufff both 3/32 and 1/8''

Mike

• Like 2

Think ac welders are cheaper and work best for stuff you can weld flat or not out of position. Dc, with correct rod, better for out of position welds, in other words over head or running up hill. Least that was always the way i thought of it. I have a very heavy duty century dad bought in the mid 80s that is ac/ dc. Always run dc because its suppose to penetrate and work better on rusty and out of position better. I always thought 7018 was a pain to get started but once going never had trouble. If i havent welded in a while i really have trouble with it at first. 

On 4/15/2019 at 8:49 PM, Finney said:

Get yourself a Dialarc Miller or a Idealarc Lincoln for stick welding. I never use AC except for tig aluminum.

I have an Airco Bumblebee that is a rebadged Miller Dialarc.  I paid $350 for it with factory running gear, leads and Miller spool gun with controller.  Nice old welder, but it only goes up to 250 amps.  I mostly use 1/8 Lincoln 7018 at @ 125+ amps DC.  If you get everything dialed in you can lay some nice smooth beads with it.  REmember your amperage need decrease as the workpiece heats up.

How many amps do you need? Never been over 100 to 125 on anything i do........

3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

How many amps do you need? Never been over 100 to 125 on anything i do........

wen you start using larger diameter rod ya need more amps

and then you need to watch the ''duty cycle'' [so many minutes welding per hour]

if ya dont you will have to put the smoke back in the windings 😁

I got a can of hard faceing rod for rebuilding bearing surfaces that takes a lot of amps DC.

Mike

16 hours ago, augercreek said:

Yes they are coated to make it better for night driving. Darn near impossible to weld with.

Ok mixed coated and the old photo gray/ auto darkening, way behind on technology as is normal.

The old Lincoln ideal arc is one of the best dc welders you can get that plug into an outlet.

There is a lot of truth in the above quote. Heavy, sucks a lot of current but welds like heaven. 

With a that said, I have an Everlast 200STi. I like how it runs 7018. Before that I had a Craftsman 230 amp ac machine ( rebranded Century). I put down a LOT of rod over the years with that welder. Really miss it. Don't regret the purchase of the Everlast either. It has arc force and hot start. Does DC TIG also.

Today most people use MIG. 

On 4/15/2019 at 4:23 PM, Mike H said:

00x0x_ePDp5UFFUqL_1200x900.jpg

I learned to weld on one like that that went past 300A, so I also used to gouge out metal to cut. It was 3% 440V.  Stick electrodes never stuck with the big welder. Every time I weld with our 25 cent welder I remember when I had access to a great one.

......local logging company that I worked  for ....(they wanted me for a ""few weeks ""...I lasted    six years ...sigh   ).......were looking to upgrade  their  POS   grapple excavator......they "found " a 20 tn PC200/6  Komatsu......so ''guarded up" that it weighed out at 28tons    ......on the scales..... Unfortunately the excavator  base was cracked......all around the slew ring.....in fact the thing had been written off, thus , upon finding out that once  upon a time, I had been a welder  at the Caterpillar  dealership.....my "employer's  " brought this very distressed  piece of equipment, from the insurance company......(My " employers"    were Canadians..... from Ontario......nice blokes......but when it came to logging in New Zealand......they were like tits on a bull.....hopeless....they had a background far removed from logging....)

with one bloke helping....( I was a mere  70 yrs old at the time )......we left the complete   undercarriage behind...and using another large excavator, laid the complete upper half, including boom etc  down on the entry door side...thus exposing  the damage around the slew ring etc.   It was an early model PC200/6......with the 25 mm  base plate.....later models had 28 mm plate instead of the one inch  original.....Dug out all the cracks  right through  with oxy/acetylene. ground them prior to welding, of course.....did about four to six inches at a time ....in a wheel nut tightening  sequence......(roughly !!).....Don't be to critical  of the vertical  you see.....that was 'pre  Millar magnifying lense":(....also that was a finished, over inch wide , proud layer  of weld...to be ground down, later. Every bit of finished weld was  'married '   into the previous  weld......used  14 KG's  of 6 and 8 gauge 7018 rod.....The hardest part was drilling a tapping new holes !!..a prick of a job .Used a proper   welder  ......USA made   Millar...500 amp model.....:).....only way to go !!

Operated it for five years, with grapple, one or two studs holding the slew ring into the upper half of the machine , were losing  their torque, when checked, once in a while......

Mike

DSC02437.JPG

DSC02438.JPG

DSC02439.JPG

DSC02440.JPG

2 hours ago, mike_newman said:

......local logging company that I worked  for ....(they wanted me for a ""few weeks ""...I lasted    six years ...sigh   ).......were looking to upgrade  their  POS   grapple excavator......they "found " a 20 tn PC200/6  Komatsu......so ''guarded up" that it weighed out at 28tons    ......on the scales..... Unfortunately the excavator  base was cracked......all around the slew ring.....in fact the thing had been written off, thus , upon finding out that once  upon a time, I had been a welder  at the Caterpillar  dealership.....my "employer's  " brought this very distressed  piece of equipment, from the insurance company......(My " employers"    were Canadians..... from Ontario......nice blokes......but when it came to logging in New Zealand......they were like tits on a bull.....hopeless....they had a background far removed from logging....)

with one bloke helping....( I was a mere  70 yrs old at the time )......we left the complete   undercarriage behind...and using another large excavator, laid the complete upper half, including boom etc  down on the entry door side...thus exposing  the damage around the slew ring etc.   It was an early model PC200/6......with the 25 mm  base plate.....later models had 28 mm plate instead of the one inch  original.....Dug out all the cracks  right through  with oxy/acetylene. ground them prior to welding, of course.....did about four to six inches at a time ....in a wheel nut tightening  sequence......(roughly !!).....Don't be to critical  of the vertical  you see.....that was 'pre  Millar magnifying lense":(....also that was a finished, over inch wide , proud layer  of weld...to be ground down, later. Every bit of finished weld was  'married '   into the previous  weld......used  14 KG's  of 6 and 8 gauge 7018 rod.....The hardest part was drilling a tapping new holes !!..a prick of a job .Used a proper   welder  ......USA made   Millar...500 amp model.....:).....only way to go !!

Operated it for five years, with grapple, one or two studs holding the slew ring into the upper half of the machine , were losing  their torque, when checked, once in a while......

Mike

DSC02437.JPG

DSC02438.JPG

DSC02439.JPG

DSC02440.JPG

That looks real familiar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our 235 cat trackhoe had some bad cracking in the circle area and most of the left track frame to circle bolts were broken. My cousin spent a few days welding it together. We welded the track frame on even as it would have been a huge undertaking to try and extract the broken bolts 

Found a nice little Lincoln Tombstone AC/DC machine w/leads an hour away (near exSW) for $200.

I was second caller......RATS!!!

• Haha 1

Are the lead receptacles universal on most welders? Have found used welders with no leads and want to take a pair for testing welder. 

11 minutes ago, MTO said:

Are the lead receptacles universal on most welders? Have found used welders with no leads and want to take a pair for testing welder. 

Most I've seen bolt on 1/2 iirc or jumper cables for a short test...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MTO said:

I think most are made by Tweco. Available at most any welding store or online.