Sign in to follow this  
MTO

Hey you welders

Years back, had an AC/DC machine. Buddy borrowed and burnt it up welding in stanchions.

Little 110 mig is all I have now.

Thinking of getting another used AC/DC machine for heavier weld jobs that pop up.

I always liked using DC better than AC. For me, it was easier, dunno.

Doesn`t DC draw the rod to the part?

What determines whether you use AC or DC when you weld?

Signed, a guy who struggles/hates to weld. 

8 minutes ago, MTO said:

Years back, had an AC/DC machine. Buddy borrowed and burnt it up welding in stanchions.

Thinking of getting another used AC/DC machine for heavier weld jobs that pop up.

A ''DC'' motor driven unit beats a 240 volt plug in hands down.

I have a miller 240 volt AC/DC unit and my old hobart generator head  welds circle's around it

Mike

00x0x_ePDp5UFFUqL_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1

Your rod determines whether you run AC or DC. some rods only run on AC and others you can use either. DC+ is more common and it flows smoother than AC. DC+ penetrates more than DC-      Finney or others can add more or correct me if I'm wrong 😀

We had a Century AC/DC and I welded many boxes of rods with that welder . I just got my 2 nd new welder last fall , it's a Miller wire feed , heck of a good welder . 

Danny

Here is about the cheapest quality welder you can get. The Lincoln tombstone. We have both a AC and AcDc sitting here took many hours to burn them out. For the money and simplicity you can’t beat them.

C6AB9EE9-6538-4968-91A6-A1FB65F9A1BA.png

• Like 3

I have a Dialarc Miller welder 250 amp that collects a lot of dust now we have a mig welder. The DC stick welder is much better than the old AC welder I started on 35+ years ago

Here is our replacement for the Lincoln. A miller 250 and we have a 210 or 220 wire welder. These aren’t actual pictures. The wire welder is a 87 model would like to get a new one one day. I find you need both welders sometimes you are outside with crappy rusty metal or just tacking stuff up I like the arc welder with its 50 ft leads

7981B092-A8B6-4A71-8A4C-1E6DF9DA49F3.png

07DC1CD2-7CBB-4DCA-847D-A3B28872FD7F.png

30 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Here is about the cheapest quality welder you can get. The Lincoln tombstone. We have both a AC and AcDc sitting here took many hours to burn them out. For the money and simplicity you can’t beat them.

C6AB9EE9-6538-4968-91A6-A1FB65F9A1BA.png

I agree for as simple and cheap as these are you can't beat them

39 minutes ago, 88power said:

I agree for as simple and cheap as these are you can't beat them

The Ac welder and the AC/DC still work but I think one setting is burnt out in both of them. Those welders got used a lot here on the farm. 

When I previously had only an AC welder it was pretty difficult to get any 7018 rods that would work ok even when they said AC on the rod. 

Have an old Forney like this that hasn't been used in many years. Still use an old Lincoln electric 225 like a couple people have posted.  Just bought a new lincoln mig with aluminum spool gun this winter

edit-706306.jpg

20190123_165221.jpg

• Like 1

While I'm no professional i do consider myself a good and knowledgeable welder. The Lincoln tombstone or buzz box is one of the best ac machines you can buy in my opinion, try to find one at an auction of garage sale if you can, the older ones just seem to weld better. If I have access to it I will use  dc over ac any time, it is just more controllable and I seem to weld better in all positions. The old Lincoln ideal arc is one of the best dc welders you can get that plug into an outlet. If you can find them the Lincoln sa200 is the same welder, just engine driven, it has one of the smoothest arcs you will ever run in my opinion. 

Honestly mark if your going stick welder i would try to find a nice older used lincoln. The older ones are of higher quality copper windings. Like danny said the new miller wire feeds are nice too. When dad and grandpa farmed an old forney is what they welded with. It was a great machine. Thats likely the last welder grandpa used unless he welded last at our place. Still sits in the corner of the shop on dads homeplace.

All the pictures of welders brings up what dads buddy said once. Years ago you couldn’t weld until after 6:30 at night or from 11 to 4. He said all the milk vacuum pumps and coolers running didn’t leave enough power for welders. Has to wait for all the chores to be done then you could weld.

3 hours ago, MTO said:

Get yourself a Dialarc Miller or a Idealarc Lincoln for stick welding. I never use AC except for tig aluminum.

1 hour ago, bitty said:

When I previously had only an AC welder it was pretty difficult to get any 7018 rods that would work ok even when they said AC on the rod. 

There are 7018's and 7018 AC's, the regular 7018 just don't work well on AC. But i agree that the 7018AC doesn't seem to work well on "buzzboxes" but is ok on a Miller Bobcat (experience).  Priimarily used 7018's for vertical up welding only. The 7014 worked the best in most positions on either AC or DC. We used a lot of 80T AC plus as a go to rod for Lincoln AC boxes to the larger gas powered Millers or Lincoln Rangers.I'd go with a AC /DC lincoln and 7014's for general all purpose welding when needed.

Use mostly 7014 on Lincoln  Tombstone I bought right out of high school. 1968 been a good welder for a part timer.

Dennis

8 minutes ago, TomH said:

There are 7018's and 7018 AC's, the regular 7018 just don't work well on AC. But i agree that the 7018AC doesn't seem to work well on "buzzboxes" but is ok on a Miller Bobcat (experience).  Priimarily used 7018's for vertical up welding only. The 7014 worked the best in most positions on either AC or DC. We used a lot of 80T AC plus as a go to rod for Lincoln AC boxes to the larger gas powered Millers or Lincoln Rangers.I'd go with a AC /DC lincoln and 7014's for general all purpose welding when needed.

We got a big container of 7018s with the first 180 amp ac Smith Roles welder in 1974. They were the most difficult rods to weld with. Striking , and holding, an arc was incredibly frustrating. I was so glad when we finished those 7018s. I've never welded with DC and have no clue what I am missing. Always got by fine with the AC stick. I bought a  Lincoln 180 wire welder last winter in hopes of being able to weld some of my rusty old car bodies. Its good but  I still have a lot to learn using it. So far I'm just using flux core wire as I don't want to mess with gas tanks etc. 

If Tesla and Edison was here they would be fighting already,Haha did you know Edison once electrocuted an elephant to death to make people scared of AC 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

We got a big container of 7018s with the first 180 amp ac Smith Roles welder in 1974. They were the most difficult rods to weld with. Striking , and holding, an arc was incredibly frustrating. I was so glad when we finished those 7018s. I've never welded with DC and have no clue what I am missing. Always got by fine with the AC stick. I bought a  Lincoln 180 wire welder last winter in hopes of being able to weld some of my rusty old car bodies. Its good but  I still have a lot to learn using it. So far I'm just using flux core wire as I don't want to mess with gas tanks etc. 

28 minutes ago, TomH said:

We had 7018ac rods exclusively before our DC welder. They just didn't weld very nice. I didn't realize how bad they were until we got the Dialarc welder and could weld DC. Night and day difference

I should add that an old guy who helped give me a few pointers suggested I get 7018 rod as it it was the best overall rod for me . Get said it was better to have too good of a rod then to just use 6010 or 6013 where I needed the strength of 7018. 

..picture  of the old Lincoln     "tractapac"  welder.....repaired  a crack in the Komatsu "U"   frame.......brilliant   for field repairs.....two   x     240 volt    points, as well.....runs at 540  PTO  speed

Have the 500 amp    Millar   at home in the W/Shop...only way to go !!

The head under the "Millar "   helmet.......with the odd perished follicles, is mine:(

Mike

IMG_0841.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

• Like 3

I was in airgas the other day and they had a couple Lincoln machines that were relatively inexpensive...could get stick, wire, tig (ac and dc) for around 3000....they weren’t commercial production machines by a long shot but for what most of us in here do they’d be great I would imagine. Will get model numbers as soon as I can