Sign in to follow this  
gearheadmb

350U PTO operation question

This is my first IH tractor and it was quite the basket case when I bought it, so I don't really have a good frame of reference as to what is normal. I have been fixing one problem at a time and yesterday I was working on the Pto. The issue was that the pto shaft spun all the time. So I followed the instructions in the manual for the pto clutch adjustment. On my first try I noticed that the engine would bog just a bit when the pto was disengaged. So I loosened the front adjusting screw for the applied clutch a quarter turn and tried again. After that the bog was gone, but with the pto disengaged there is just a small bit of whining noise from the trans. With the pto engaged everything seems quiet and happy. Is the whining noise something I should be concerned about, or would that be considered normal operation? Thanks

Our 400 did that also so I would consider it normal. But maybe ours had problems and did not know about it. Tractor was traded off on a Uni system in 1970. We missed that tractor and went to get it back but it was sold before it even hit the sales lot.

Have you changed oil in the PTO

My 400 always whines in disengaged postion as well. 

7 minutes ago, 3588pfcred said:

Have you changed oil in the PTO

I checked it but didn't change it. I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have to tear it apart before I put new fluid in there. Does it just take hytran?

I have a 300 that is the same way, which is common, there is a PTO disconnect under the transmission, called a seasonal disconnect if you are not going to be doing PTO work

There are no clutches in that pto. It is a planetary gear set with two bands. One to stop the output shaft and one to anchor the planet carrier to make it turn. When the engine labored either you were partially engaging both bands or you have a gear or bearing problem. Those gears spin pretty fast with the output shaft stopped. So a whine is pretty normal. As far as I could ever figure out that seasonal disconnect must have been an option. In my opinion it should have been standard and operable from the seat.

Right, I tend to use "clutch" as a blanket term sometimes. 

So, is hytran the right fluid for that?

11 minutes ago, gearheadmb said:

Right, I tend to use "clutch" as a blanket term sometimes. 

So, is hytran the right fluid for that?

Yes