Sign in to follow this  
Missouri Mule

756 steering binding

Hello all, lately I have noticed my steering on my 756 binding slightly. It doesn’t always do it which is weird. When driving it sometimes while turning the wheel you can feel it bind slightly near the center position(straight ahead) then get easier again. When you steer back the other direction you can feel it about in the same place again and once you get past that spot it’s ok again. A couple things to note.  This is the tractor I have trouble with the steering being slow below 30*. It works fine once it’s warm. I’ve never checked pressures to further troubleshoot because it warmed up outside and bigger fish to fry. I always grease the front axle and spindles don’t show any excessive wear. Could something in the bolster be causing this? Where’s a good place to start here? 

I had the same problem with my narrow front 756. It would "catch" as you described. At the advice of the IH service manager, I removed the bolster and replaced it with a wide front from a newer model IH. The 756 bolster containers the power steering unit as well as the steering gears and He said there could be expensive to repair. He recommended I stop driving it for safety reasons.

The newer  wide fronts such as those from the 86 series tractors will fit with some modifications. The power steering units on those are located outside the bolster. A much better design.hope this helps.

1 hour ago, ericjen said:

I had the same problem with my narrow front 756. It would "catch" as you described. At the advice of the IH service manager, I removed the bolster and replaced it with a wide front from a newer model IH. The 756 bolster containers the power steering unit as well as the steering gears and He said there could be expensive to repair. He recommended I stop driving it for safety reasons.

The newer  wide fronts such as those from the 86 series tractors will fit with some modifications. The power steering units on those are located outside the bolster. A much better design.hope this helps.

His is a wide front. I do know that from pictures he's shown.

8 hours ago, 3588pfcred said:

Does the 756 have tilt steering wheel

Yes.... but I gotta ask 

Spay with penetrating oil the u-joint area under the steering wheel where the shaft goes through a bushing, , it will steer better. Steve

18 hours ago, 3588pfcred said:

Does the 756 have tilt steering wheel

It was the first thing I thought of but it only does it one spot. Its multiple turns lock to lock. Still that u joint should be inspected anyway.

10 hours ago, 3588pfcred said:

Spay with penetrating oil the u-joint area under the steering wheel where the shaft goes through a bushing, , it will steer better. Steve

Thanks for the good input. However I just rebuilt that whole bushing and greased it a few months ago. So I feel that should be good. 

I guess I’m not sure with the wet bolster where to even start. I guess I’ll jack it up and see if I can feel anything at all binding. I spread fertilizer all day and felt it do this a couple times but then it went away. Then the next day I hop on and I felt it again. What’s in the bolster to bind up? Wearable parts? Never been in one. 

There are a pair of timkin bearings on the bolster shaft. Adjustment nut on top under cover. Pinon gear between bearings. Double ended piston with rack on side that engages pinion. Cylinder that piston rides in is eccentric to adjust rack clearence. If the problem is not bearings or gear teeth then I would suspect seal ring or cylinder problem. The system is simple. Working on it is not. The bolster shaft must be removed. To remove piston or cylinder. Removing front grill will give you an idea of whats involved in removing bolster shaft.

We had a 1256 that steered hard. I took bolster apart honed sleeve and set it up for clearence it worked better. The sleeve can bend causing some issues.

22 minutes ago, dale560 said:

We had a 1256 that steered hard. I took bolster apart honed sleeve and set it up for clearence it worked better. The sleeve can bend causing some issues.

Did yours always steer hard Dale? Just curious. Mine seems to steer easy but catch here and there sometimes. 

Just now, Missouri Mule said:

Did yours always steer hard Dale? Just curious. Mine seems to steer easy but catch here and there sometimes. 

Can’t remember it’s is customer tractor, there is the steering valve by the starter that could be giving you some trouble. They generally do t but easy swap with a known good one to see if it works.