OldIron806

Finally ended up with one....the story of an abandoned ‘46 TD9

Well after talking about one for years and a couple failed attempts at buying a couple of TD6s over the years, I found this old girl. Winched it out of the woods onto the trailer and hauled it home. I’ll try and add pictures as I work on bringing it back to life. Let the fun begin!

21E166FB-2D04-475C-9F73-A2659D714EB1.png

DA8D60B9-D5B3-4A42-B33C-C4AEB37F553F.jpeg

993DFB12-6E40-4881-9C18-22864D94D8B3.jpeg

A6BB0FDF-A96D-49DC-BDAA-576CF92565F1.jpeg

• Like 8

Looks like a pretty solid unit, tracks are tight... looking forward to  you posting your efforts to get it running !  

..looks very  interesting !...appears  to have a Bosch   injection pump....(?)......What I like about it is the fact  it has never been burdened with  the usual  tons of pig iron , masquerading as  a "ground  engaging tool "......those heavy old cumbersome  'blades  were the death knell   of those old crawlers.....

That exhaust  cap looks encouraging, also  Good Luck !!

Mike.

Looks like someone took good care of it most of its life. Great find. 

Yes it is an early one with the Bosch injection pump. Surprisingly when I drained all of the oil’s and fluids out of the machine everything seem to be very well-maintained. Unfortunately it has been sitting long enough that the engine is tight. I soaked down the cylinders through the spark plug holes last night with a few cans of breakaway and hopefully that will loosen things up over the next few days. 

I snapped a couple more pictures. Overall it’s really impressive how good of shape she is in especially considering the age of the machine.

7F6E9464-164B-444B-9A37-3033692E093B.jpeg

D21945CA-D446-429B-9A40-0815DAFC2500.jpeg

4690205F-2454-4DD5-BF8E-5B129791E1DF.jpeg

• Like 3

Yes it is an early one with the Bosch injection pump. Surprisingly when I drained all of the oil’s and fluids out of the machine everything seem to be very well-maintained. Unfortunately it has been sitting long enough that the engine is tight. I soaked down the cylinders through the spark plug holes last night with a few cans of breakaway and hopefully that will loosen things up over the next few days. 

On 4/12/2019 at 6:29 PM, OldIron806 said:

nice unit. you need to have the gas starting valves open to get lube into the cyl's. best is to use a sprayer and blow the lube in.  also first time I have ever saw an injection line repair. those lines are all the same length and hold the same cc's of fluid. that's why they have the circles in the short lines. might be hard to find another good line. these pumps are not plentiful and used only on the early units.  it is also possible the pump could have stuck plungers in it.  good luck.

Well my patience didn’t last long, I tried pulling it in attempt to break the engine free with no luck. I had the controls switched to gas operation and let the cylinders soak for about four days. Within about 15-20 minutes of deciding to just pull the head, I had everything ready to lift off. I’ve discovered that the head was cracked and repaired at some point in its lifetime. More interesting is that it appears that someone had tried to get the engine running without any luck. Upon preparing to pull the head I found that the short pushrod for the starting valves was out of position and would not have allowed the starting valves to open. Once the weather here straightens out we will lift the head off and see what the cylinders look like. 🤞

• Like 2

Keep us posted if you can... some progressive pictures of your work would be great ! 

Going to pull the cylinder head off tomorrow night.........pictures are coming!

• Like 2

I've known shops to use Brake Fluid pored into cylinders and leave for several days, with very good results. 

A neighbor, former Case dealer, swears by Essentialube. We have used it with great results.

Well I have decided to take the cylinder head to the local machine shop and drop it off to have it checked over. Probably end up doing a valve job while it’s off. I had a chance last night after work to clean up the cylinders and attempt to break number one and three pistons loose.  A half dozen swats each with a sledgehammer and a block of pine appears to have broken them loose from the sleeves. They both definitely have some water damage from the exhaust being left off at some point. Once I have another chance to work on it I’ll roll the engine over to get the pistons at the bottom of their strokes and then attempt to clean the sleeves up with a hone in order to determine how much damage has been done. See if anyone can guess what is in the #1 port of the exhaust manifold? Lol

04788F7E-482E-4DEB-AB2B-B1D5A9E8905D.jpeg

5F8542D9-8203-4D35-8D16-38CC01DF9EC8.jpeg

1E9BB628-DE3E-4FB5-B8B4-F3748B88A960.jpeg

F37CD07F-4147-4C8B-A7BC-941193645CF9.jpeg

If you try turning the engine with the head off you’ll need to lock down the cylinders wth bolts and washers. If you don’t off times the piston will lift out the cylinder and then you’ll have to tear it all down to reseat the cylinder. Do not ask how I know this. I’d have to lie. 

John

• Like 1

Good point John. I have to say I have done that before too. I honestly probably would have done just that if you hadn’t mentioned it. Thanks!

• Like 2

I seem to recall my 450D being stuck.  I tried knocking the pistons with wood loose but that engine is way bigger than some dinky cub.  After cracking 1 sleeve, I unbolted the rods and pushed the sleeve/piston/rod up and out.  The pistons knocked out easily then and I saved everything except the cracked sleeve.  New rings and put it back together. 

Of course, I had the pump rebuilt to the tune of 700 bucks, but I found NOS nozzles last year for cheap.  Runs like new.

Chris B.

Machine shop called..........yep the head is cracked into the valve seats. Looks like the welding from an earlier failure was pretty sloppy and never completely corrected the problem. So anyone have a good head for a D335 they want to part with???

0D677676-DFFA-4778-B326-92438DD2C3BE.jpeg

Got a part number of the head. I have a head for a MD in the shop (as long as the boys haven’t tossed it out) and it might work.  

John

An MD would be a D246? or a D264 engine. Either way too small. This would be the same as a WD9 engine as far as the comparable tractors go.

that head can be repaired, … but it will be costly. valves look good as they are sitting up high and not all pounded out. even the cyl.s look good,

That’s the reason for looking for a good cylinder head. Anything can be repaired but feasibility is the deciding factor. I have a few leads on a good cylinder head that I’m looking into.

that is true.  I make the deciding factor when both heads are side by side. that one kinda looks like in good shape except cracks. another one might need valve guides, seats, and valves plus the grinding. all depends what you find and its general shape. ideally would be another bolt on head. I sold a super wd9 head for 650.00 few years ago. ready to bolt on. that was reasonable.