Sign in to follow this  
nelson jr

Disc chisel or landfill tillall horsepower required? 1086

How big of either a disc chisel or landoll till all can I pull with a ten series tractor?  I understand soil content and lay of the land will be major parts of the final answer.  What I am looking for is a ballpark horsepower per bottom or foot.

5 shank disc chisel be enough for a 1086 " here"

Find out what type of soil you have, then find out what the draft numbers are for that soil.  This is where a good machinery salesman or Soil & Water Office can be helpful.  Your local Ag Extension Office should be able to help you with this as well.

I pull a 10 shank disc chisel with my 1086, I'm in sandy soil in WI

In our clay,  my turbo 966 w18.4x34 tires I can pull a 7 shank w/4 inch twisted shovels in 1H T/A ahead all day long. A couple fields can go 2H. This is a chisel only, no discs.

I think you could best judge by what your neighbors use. Personally I’d go seven shank disc chisel. But two shanks either way might be appropriate depending on your area.

Obviously depends on soil type but in our area with heavier soils I'd say about 12-15hp per shank on a chisel disk. Little less without the disk. 

I have a 9 shank chisel disk (M-F brand) that we run behind a 1586 with duals.

Jesse

I used to pull a KRAUSE 7 shank soil saver (disc chisel) with 4" wide twisted shovels plus a Remlinger ridge leveler with S-Tines with my 1980 Tri-Stripe 1086, on 18.4-38's with axle duals. It was a load in our soils in SE Michigan. Most of the time I was in 3rd gear low range with the TA ahead. In a couple fields though I could go to 4th low with TA ahead and could pull the TA back in tougher spots if I needed to. After I bought my CIH 7220 MAGNUM, I pulled the KRAUSE with the MAGNUM.

My advice is to run duals with good tread and all four tires at low air pressure to effectively get the power to the ground in various ground conditions

I can do a nine shank with the 1256. It does better with the duals on.

873_1508772111705.jpeg