Sign in to follow this  
401 N Michigan

1975 4070B with DV 800 engine

My brother just bought a 1975 4070B with DV 800 IH engine...I can’t find much info on this engine in a truck....does anyone know the rarity or value of a semi with this engine ?

I remember it was an option although it was not a popular one.

When it comes to value of old commercial equipment by brother that owned equipment and operated, worked for a living on equipment says it is whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

In recent time I have been tracking old OPERABLE equipment on Purple Wave and other auctions.   I have seen old truck/tractors go for $800. to maybe $4000. based on mechanicals and engine condition.  Most of the higher priced are OPERATIONAL, always big  Cummins, roadrunner and clean.  The people who are going to actually use equipment do not pay $$ for oddities. Highest sale price I have seen for an old one was an 88 Ford ex-airport fire truck LN cabover  tractor, with only 70,000 miles, CUMMINS 350 HP,  looked like a show truck, went for $12-14000.

When the DV800 first came out I thought it would have a good future, in retrospect it was just another  IHC mistake.

It seems like the v8 diesel motors didn't work out like the v8 gas motors. I am not sure why. Thx-Ace

I cannot find any production numbers on trucks with the DV 800....I can’t find any pictures of one online or anyone who has one .....anyone know of a live or dead one? Production numbers?

I was in IH Truck Product Reliability when the V-800 was introduced, but heard little of it after that although I have no numbers.  I'm sure the number produced was quite low and it wouldn't surprise me if that was the only surviving one.

Those engines are LOUD! I can't imagine cuddling up next to one in a cabover.

Thanks Howard. I’m beginning to wonder how rare this truck May be....we had it started yesterday after 20years sitting....it’s gona need lots of TLC.....

this truck was purchased new by a IH farm equipment dealer in Iowa, we are the second owners....

On 5/5/2019 at 9:41 PM, acem said:

It seems like the v8 diesel motors didn't work out like the v8 gas motors. I am not sure why. Thx-Ace

The Detroit Diesel 8V71 engine was very successful, especially in over the road buses when there was a bus 3 times per day in almost every City in the US.

If I'm not mistaken, the 8v-71 is a 2 stroke diesel, loud, generally smokers, very unique sound.

40w motor oil in the summer, 30w in the winter.

what transmission does it have? a 13 speed? would be my guess.

On 5/7/2019 at 10:20 PM, 401 N Michigan said:

It’s going to need some work...but it’s home....

501E1EF9-20F8-4B24-9ADA-1700D852115E.jpeg

8BE1A213-475F-42A2-8D33-2590A6DDE4CA.jpeg

4B78A17A-3324-45F8-8BD0-422A65BA94E2.jpeg

It will be a cool looking truck when fixed up.

I have a good V800 if you need one.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:48 AM, 401 N Michigan said:

this truck was purchased new by a IH farm equipment dealer in Iowa, we are the second owners....

That right there is the amazing thing. 44 years later and your the SECOND owner!  Lots of IH dealers had IH trucks.  1975 would have been about the time dealers started getting all their own semi's.

Really like these ol Transtars .. would look nice next to my Cargostar!!

MAC

There was more than a few of them out there. But still a rare combo to find now a days. But if you google v-800 you will find several truck parts yards with them in inventory and looking to sell them.

Does any one know how much power could be made if they were tweaked a bit? I know they were notorious as tractor engines for failure but figured in a truck they may have stood up better?

ed

10 hours ago, Ed Leaman said:

There was more than a few of them out there. But still a rare combo to find now a days. But if you google v-800 you will find several truck parts yards with them in inventory and looking to sell them.

Does any one know how much power could be made if they were tweaked a bit? I know they were notorious as tractor engines for failure but figured in a truck they may have stood up better?

ed

I know the non-turbo 903 Cummins was around 270 hp,  so a DV-800 was probably close to 240-250 hp.  The VT-903 in the '79 White I drove was rated 320 hp with only around 4 psi boost.  There was a VT-350, with You guessed it, 350 hp. Plus military equipment,  the early Bradley armored military personnel carriers were 903 powered, rated 600 hp. The must have had a real short fuse!

I've read here that the DV-800 big problem was the air cleaner was too small and restricted intake air too much when the filter plugged with dust/dirt and the engines sucked oil up past the rings. Highway trucks run in much cleaner conditions,  with proper maintenance the DV-800 probably holds up better in trucks than tractors. 

Company I drove for was famous for ignoring service on equipment. According to the Cummins engine manual in my truck, oil & filter change was needed around 8000-10,000 miles.  I bitched, I pleaded,  I threatened to stop at a shop along the Interstate. Finally the tire guy said he'd come in on a Saturday to change oil/filter, and grease it. When I backed it out of the shop I swear he put power steering on it.  Granted the steering wheel was 2-1/2 ft in diameter, but I could palm the wheel standing still on dry concrete! Think I drove it 100,000 miles after that without an oil change. THAT company would not service air filters! There was a restriction meter on the housing like every other dry type filter housing but I've never seen one in the red.

I've drove more V-8 diesels than in-line 6's. 555, 903 Cummins, my 7.3L PSD, 3208 Cat's. Even that wonderful pinicle of modern engineering, the GM 8.2L Fuel Pincher. I also drove the in-line 6 equivalents to those V-8's, they really didn't fare any better than the V-8's with no maintenance. My Son has close to 307,000 miles on my old PSD, had 304,000 on it when I gave it to him. He's surprised how good of shape the PSD is in it.

In the early 60s, there was a DCOF-405 marketed as a "Toll Road Tractor" rated for GCWs up to 127,400#.  Standard engine was a Cummins NTRO-335, optional DVT-800 advertised as 375 hp.

DCOF-405 Toll Road Tractor, 375hp=D817.jpg

That's the big 6 cylinder 817 like was in a TD-25 crawler. I don't think the 800 V-8 came out until in the 70's

DWF

the 375 HP was optional on something they built for running doubles and triples,  on the NY thruway, called it a turnpike cruiser or something like that. But it was the 817 inline 6.