IH500 install fan belt over hydraulic pump

Joneebgood

The fan belt finally gave up the ghost on my IH500 crawler with Drott 6 way.  This machine has a front hydraulic pump plus a hydraulic cooler between the engine and the fan.  It looks like a major undertaking to remove the pump and bracket to get the belt onto the pulley?  Does the radiator and oil cooler, etc have to come off first to be able to pull the pump back far enough to slip the belt over the pulley?  I am baffled on this.  Is there a better way?  Thank you for any suggestions.

JIM

I had to remove the hydraulic pump adapter from the pulley.  I drove the tractor up on 6 x 6 to lift the front end to prevent loss of  hydraulic fluid.  I  drained the antifreeze and remove the lower radiator hose to get better access.  I did not remove the radiator but did remove the bolts on the oil cooler so that I could get the hydraulic pump out.  I wanted to check the pump and I had to have a new spline put in the adapter.  You shouldn't have to remove the pump.  I would think you can move it enough to get a new belt on.  There is not much room in there to work and it was hard on my knuckles.  I have the manuals and I could look tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I was hoping that by removing the two large bolts on the butterfly mounting bracket the pump would lift up enough to slide the belt under without having to take it all the way out?  I cannot even see the front of the pump to see what it looks like but there must be space between it and the radiator core.  The tight space will also be an issue for me as my hands are too big and too arthritic to get into tight spaces anymore.  I guess I will see if I can get those two large bolts off and go from there.  I couldn't find anything in the Service Manual but there may be another manual that I don't have.  Thanks for the help.

Thank you that was just what I needed.  Not that I don't have the operator's manual ...........someplace - but it is not where I thought I left it!  I found all the parts and service manuals but  couldn't find any reference to belt replacement in them.  It seems like I spend a lot of time just looking for things that I know I have these days.

Anyway, they said to remove the left bolt on the brace and just loosen the right side so it will pivot.  The lower radiator hose sits right on top of that left bolt so  there is no way that bolt was coming out until I removed the two short hoses and the iron elbow.  Then I could not get a wrench in to hold things without removing the generator.  I was sure the allen key would be rounded and stripped but that came loose real easy.  Now I am at the point of loosing the four bolts on the adapter hub.  First, the motor turns over when I try to loosen a bolt so I need to hold the pulley with a large pliers.  I guess with a hydraulic direction reverser parking with the transmission in gear doesn't really stop the motor?

The only thing that fits in the space to get at those four bolts is an open end wrench and I just cannot get enough pull to break them loose.  They are soaking in PB Blaster and I am on my way to see if I can borrow an extra long open end wrench so I have more leverage.  I will try again tomorrow - weather permitting.  Thanks again for scanning the instruction sheet.  I at least I can be sure I am following the correct steps.

My pump and adapter are not set up like the manual states.  I assume they were replaced at some point.  Mine have a spline and does not have a hex screw.  I had to remove the 4 bolts holding the adapter to the pulley.  It took forever to get those bolts out.  There was only one place I could get my hand in to turn the bolt.  I pulled the spark plugs so I could rotate the bolts to where I could reach them.  If I had been smart I would have up on a new fan belt while I had the pump out.  Good luck!

Well, it was a challenge but I finally got the new fan belt on and the dozer is back in service.  You were right about those four bolts on the pump adapter.  They were a bear to get out and a bear to reinstall.  They were in so tight that I could not get enough leverage with my standard S-K combination wrench (7” long) so I dug out my set of double ended combos that were 10” long.  The necks had an offset that was just too much to fit in between the adapter and pulley and still get squarely on the heads of the nuts.  I didn’t want to take a chance on stripping those bolt heads as the bolts are captive and there is no way to repair or replace so I finally found a place that sold a combo wrench that was 9” long.  That finally gave me enough leverage to break them loose but it was a real PITA as the only way I could find to keep the crankshaft from turning was with a huge water pump pliers and there just was not enough room to fit everything in that small space.

I got everything back together and then realized I had never retightened the setscrew on the adapter.  Luckily I had a socket with the right size Allen key that just fit in the space, after the fact. So the last thing was to put the belt over the generator and tighten those bolts.  Imagine my shock and dismay when I realized the belt was too short?  I had the generator pushed up against the block and still had to use a large screwdriver to pop the belt onto its pulley.  It is very tight.  The rod from the carb to the governor runs between the generator and the block and the generator is just a hair away from hitting.  Actually, when I first started the motor the fan blades on the generator clipped the rod for a minute until they managed to bend themselves out of the way.  I am not sure how this is going to work once I am pushing dirt.

As far as I can tell everything is original on this machine.  It looks like a standard Delco generator from the late 1960s.  I bought the machine from the original owner who didn’t seem like the type of guy to do his own mechanic work.  The belt on the machine was certainly not original as it was a 4Lx440  (1/2” x 44”) and not IH.  I tried to find a listing on line for a replacement belt and found 3/8” x 42.5, ½ x 43.5, and other options but no one seemed consistent.  I was able to locate a genuine IH belt with the correct p/n and, although it has to be old stock, I was thrilled to get it. Of course IH only gives you a p/n in the shop manual and offers no actual measurements.   It measured 7/16” by 43.25 so I can see why a 4L440 was used as a replacement.  But, the belt that came off was nowhere near as tight as this replacement is.  To give the generator another 2” of adjustment the belt probably should be at least 46”-47” long which is way longer than the oem belt.  I am baffled as the 4L440 could not have been worn and stretched that far but this belt is only ¾” shorter and just barely fits.  I hope I don’t have to take this apart again.

Thank you so much for sharing the instructions and your experience.  This is one repair I hope to never do again.

JIM

Archived