Justsomeguy

Is there a difference between the Farmall 706 and 806 besides the engine?

Are these tractors identical in every way but the engine? Like hydraulics, 3 point, transmission, TA, clutch, steering, wide front?  Can I hookup a F706D rear end to a F806D engine/bell housing or do I need adaptor parts?

I dunno. Probably 806 is stouter somehow. I suppose you could go on Messick's parts books and see if they're the same.

Sure neighbors took a 1026 with bad hydro and put engine on 706 with bad engine. 

Obviously the rear frame is the same but I thought the bull gear was different and probably some other internals. 

806 and 706 have different numbers for bull gears but about everything else in range transmission in rear frame and speed transmission in clutch housing are the same .

Front channels ( engine side rails ) are different from 7 to 8 and also different from gas to diesel in each model. Wide front axles  are the same. Tricycle fronts are different numbers. Radiators and housing and steering/gear selector supports are different (taller on 806). Most pieces of sheet metal hoods are different numbers.

Same things apply to 756 and 856.

I haven’t looked up the part numbers individually, but I posted regarding the 756/856 from the engine back and the replies indicated they are identical.

My impression is - if you ever re-engined a 756 gasser like mine with a Cummins 5.9 (as an example) you’d essentially have an 856.

I’m no expert, someone correct me if I’ve got this wrong...

706's equipped with a gas,lp,or d282 diesel were physically smaller then 706's equipped with a d310 kraut engine. So if you found a 706 with a d310 it would be the closest in size to an 806. Check rpm ratings for an 806 diesel and a 706 with a d310 and that will give you a clue as to any gearing differences at least.

Physically smaller in wheelbase and hood height only. It's not like the drivetrain on the 706 is a 'miniaturized' version of the 806's, like an H vs. an M. They're physically the same size.

The different length hoods and frame rails are maddening when you want to do a gas-to-diesel conversion.

• Like 1

They are the same, at least my two were.  My 706 gas and 806 diesel, both early serial numbers, both had 13/49 ring and pinions, same differential, and 2-1/2" wide bull gears.  I had always heard the 706 was suppose to be lighter, but when I opened them up I was surprised to find they were the same.

BUT an 806 is 2" taller and 3" longer.  The grill shell and legs of the pedestal are taller, which means all the shift linkages are longer, to account for the taller engine and larger fuel tank.  And the frame rails are longer.

806 Diesel

IMG_5837.JPG

706 Gas

IMG_5838.JPG

706 Gas bull gears

IMG_9405.JPG

If you are looking to do a 706/806 hybrid, yes they will bolt right up. We put an 706 rear end on an 806 with issues. We used the ta and center section from the 8 because it was known to have a recent ta. All peripherals like wide front, three point, fenders, etc are identical, so use what you want the final tractor to have.