onsteder

4586 - DV800 water in oil

2 hours ago, R Pope said:

D1206.......I have gathered up some W4's, W6's and W9"s with some Farmalls too. A few Massey 44's and a little 102Jr, and some JD's for contrast. I would consider a swap with no cash involved if your cousin's kid is interested.

Onsteder....sorry for kinda hijacking your post.

I’ll let him know & X2 on the hijack👍

8 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Don't know anything about the DV800 engines-------but based on Dirt Boyz comment that it is most likely a sleeve/0-ring problem-----do not try curing your problem by adding a stop leak.

The stop leak will not seal off a leaking rubber o-ring.

Then you have anti freeze and stop leak in the oil pan!!!!  Ouch-------most stop leak compounds are very abrasive.

I found out on a 1370 Case engine that I added stop leak to back in the 1980s.  Looked like I had added sand to the oil supply-------even ate up the cam bearings.

Good luck----

DD

Ahh, good point about the stop leak tearing things up.  We had thought about trying it just to see if we could get by this season with it.

We might try to find a good inexpensive DT466 and throw that in there.  It would at least be useful for pulling our 700 bushel wagons around or the 25ft FC.

As far as stop leak goes, the Blue Devil is some pretty good stuff. It just might work in this situation, but if a sleeve has a pin hole, no way. 

We looked at buying a 4568 a few years ago, had 42XX hours on it.  It needed some love, but the price was right.  I am red to the core and never pass up an opportunity to buy one, but passed just because of the DV800.  I have never read a post ever had anything positive to say about them, which is sad.   And it's not one specific thing either, it's the whole engine; bearings, valve train, gaskets, O-rings, all of it.  The stories seem end with some catastrophic failure or ridiculously expensive rebuild.

If you and dad love the tractor, demote it light duty and baby it along.  We looked for some 91, 92, & 9350's which are 300hp and they were in the mid-upper $30's.  I know 30k is 30k, but we didn't think that was such a bad price.

If you want to fix it, call Rock Valley Tractor Parts (800-831-8543).  I sold them 5 DV800’s about 4 years ago and I know they got a nice running 4586 in after that. They should have the parts you need. The knocking is probably a camshaft going bad—they are known for that. An updated cam is a available for $2900 (4 years ago). I found the engines then decided it was going to be too expensive to fix the 4568 so I sold it to RVTP.  Having said that, I round like to have a good running 4586 some day.