Sign in to follow this  
Sean

KB 5 gearing

I'm thinking about buying a KB5 as I really like the style. However the gearing is too low for the highway. My question is, is a two speed rear end readability available and not too big a deal to do? I am a toolmaker.

The first truck I drove much on my Uncle's farm in the 60's was a 49 KB5 that had a 2 speed axle that was vacuum shifted. It worked all right for the time. It still was a pretty slow truck for today's time.  I have no idea as to what ratio it was. The first truck I drove around the farm was a 1940 D series, I think a D50? was about the same size as a KB5. It had a mechanical activated 2 speed axle. A bar that was low to the back and high was forward. I was too young to drive on the highway with it so I never used the 2 speed.

DWF

Gonna be underpowered with a flathead six anyway. I did hear of one with a small-block Ford.

the kb5 i have has a 2 spd rear. it doesnt seem to speed the truck up.much.  those trucks wont go over 45 downhill with a tailwind. 45 was fast enough back then and makes for enjoyable ride on a sunny sunday afternoon

On 4/4/2019 at 1:19 AM, Sean said:

I'm thinking about buying a KB5 as I really like the style. However the gearing is too low for the highway. My question is, is a two speed rear end readability available and not too big a deal to do? I am a toolmaker.

Two speed rears are most generally underdrive lows. Which means, simply adding a two speed may not accomplish your goal, unless you find one with a lower ratio in high range.